The Darkness' Story - (Age 31, crown loss)

thedarkness

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm Chinese, 31 years of age. Been lurking in this forum for the past few months. Just wanted to share my story. No one, even myself (probably was in a state of denial) noticed that I started losing hair since a year ago. But when a friend of mine (he is also thinning fast, I guess those who are losing their own hair tend to notice hair loss in others too) pointed out that it looks like I have more hair few years back, I started to take notice about it. Even my girlfriend did not noticed anything too. So few months ago, I finally gathered my courage to see this doctor, but he was just a general practitioner and he said he did not notice any hair loss in me too, but he did refered me to another dermatologist. So to cut the story short, I went there and he gave prescribed me propecia and gave me 3% liquid minoxidil solution. I only used the minoxidil he gave me for 1 week before changing it to Rogaine 5% foam.

Been on propecia & foam for 2 months. Here're some pics, before & after. I think it has started to fill in.

Also, I've been applying the minoxidil to my hairline as well (my hairline's still good), and I've noticed a lot of black hairs growing on my forehead, nearing to my eyebrows, which is kind of freaky.. I don't want to turn into any werewolf or anything like that, but so far, I'm satisfied with the results. I'll take some forehead pics when I have time.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_1331(1).JPG
    IMG_1331(1).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,479

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Re: The Darkness' Story

Welcome TheDarkness :)

Wow your crown is almost identical to mine! Mine is probably a tad smaller.....I agree that your crown has filled in a little :agree: I think it will continue to get better in the coming months, so you have alot to look forward too. How is your hairline? it looks ok from these pics. Have you considered using a concealer/thickener like prothik for ur crown? I think it would barely look like ur balding if you got some product in ur hair and styled it right, you still have quite alot of hair to work with.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

I think at this stage, finasteride alone will do the trick. Your hair is still very good, nobody will think you are balding.

thedarkness

Reaction score

metalheaddude said:
Welcome TheDarkness :)

Wow your crown is almost identical to mine! Mine is probably a tad smaller.....I agree that your crown has filled in a little :agree: I think it will continue to get better in the coming months, so you have alot to look forward too. How is your hairline? it looks ok from these pics. Have you considered using a concealer/thickener like prothik for ur crown? I think it would barely look like ur balding if you got some product in ur hair and styled it right, you still have quite alot of hair to work with.

I did buy dermatch few months ago, just in case the situation got worse or if I start shedding like mad, but my situation has improved, so I did not use any of it. So far I've not used any thickener as well.

I'm not really sure of my hairline, if it has receeded or not, as I've not paid much attention to my hair all these years until recently when I realized I'm losing hair. So far, no one has mentioned anything about my hairline, but like I mentioned, I've been applying rogaine on my hairline & forehead & lots of small black hairs has started growing! Kinda freakish... as it's growing between my hairline & near to my eyebrows..

Attachments

• IMG_0803(1).JPG
    IMG_0803(1).JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,316

thedarkness

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
I think at this stage, finasteride alone will do the trick. Your hair is still very good, nobody will think you are balding.

I'm thinking of stopping rogaine too, but i'm still unsure if it's worth taking the risk as situation has been good so far. In addition, rogaine is not sold here too (in Malaysia, oops I forgot to mentioned that I'm Malaysian Chinese actually, not China's Chinese :) ) I have to get it online. We'll see how it goes first. Maybe will stop when crown fills in more.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

thedarkness said:
RaginDemon said:

I'm thinking of stopping rogaine too, but i'm still unsure if it's worth taking the risk as situation has been good so far. In addition, rogaine is not sold here too (in Malaysia, oops I forgot to mentioned that I'm Malaysian Chinese actually, not China's Chinese :) ) I have to get it online. We'll see how it goes first. Maybe will stop when crown fills in more.

When you stop, the hair regrowed by minxo will fall out eventually.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Dude your hairline looks awesome! Well not that you can really see it. But having ur hair style like that is perfect. Even if it is a little receaded that style will hide it for many years to come....So yeah its just the crown now and you have that well covered with Rogaine and Finasteride and or dermmatch if things get desperate. Ur set! In general asians have great hairlines, its more of convex style shape. Its the caucasian hairline like mine which pisses me off..Which is shaped more like a V or an M. Just makes you look old!

RaginDemon

Reaction score

metalheaddude said:
Dude your hairline looks awesome! Well not that you can really see it. But having ur hair style like that is perfect. Even if it is a little receaded that style will hide it for many years to come....So yeah its just the crown now and you have that well covered with Rogaine and Finasteride and or dermmatch if things get desperate. Ur set! In general asians have great hairlines, its more of convex style shape. Its the caucasian hairline like mine which pisses me off..Which is shaped more like a V or an M. Just makes you look old!

I agree, that hair style suits you well. If you can get the crown to fill it a little, it will be awesome for many yrs to come, GL!

thedarkness

Reaction score
Here's a frontal shot, just after I took my shower this morning. I combed my hair back when I took this pic. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that finasteride & rogaine will help me fill in more of my crown or at least maintain it.

I ordered my 2nd batch of rogaine foam & they just arrived 2 days ago! yeah!

Attachments

• forehead 1.JPG
    forehead 1.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,005

RaginDemon

Reaction score
frontal section is good, just the crown needs some work