The Hair Transplant (FUT) process, step by step

finster baby

Reaction score
Hi all. There are probably other threads like this, but this is my experience, which may help others considering a hair transplant.

I was on the fence for a long time... I even posted a "Should I get a hair transplant?" thread on this forum a while back. It received mixed replies, but I finally went ahead and did it earlier this week, after consulting a few doctors.

I didn't feel completely comfortable with the first few doctors I met with in Manhattan (which I will not name). Somehow I came across Dr. Andrew Klienman in Westchester County, just a few miles north of the city.

His prices are fantastic (only $3 per graft compared to $5-$6 at other places), he has a very impressive background (President of the Medical Society of the State of New York, etc), many years of experience, and he didn't try to sell me all kinds of sprays and shampoos like the other doctors (one invented a "coffee shampoo" he was pushing.)

Dr. Klienman is sympathetic, realistic and offers a flat fee/per graft service... no add-on expenses like all the others. I got 2000 grafts (1500 temple, 500 crown) for $6000; no taxes or hidden costs. They do require a $1000 deposit, refundable up to 14 days before the procedure.

So I scheduled the appointment for last week and this is how it goes (times are approximate):

10:00am
Arrival, get blood pressure and heart monitor check, pay balance due.

10:30am
Final consultation with Dr. Klienman to be sure I got exactly what I wanted.

11:00am
One nurse and two very friendly, capable and experienced techs prep you: They count and shave the donor area, massage your scalp, offer you meds (pain killer, anti-anxiety and anti-nausea pills). I didn't take the pills at first.

11:30am
Dr. Klienman begins numbing the donor area. This was the most painful part IMO. I've had plenty of stitches and needles in the past, but the 15-20 jabs under the skin was enough for me to ask for the pain killers and anti-nausea meds).

12:00pm
The donor area is cut away. It did not hurt but was kind of freaky. After the Dr. carves out a section with a scalpel, they tear it off from right to left... this part made me panic a little, like, "What did I get myself into?"

Again, it didn't hurt, but you can feel the vibrations and just knowing that there was no turning back had me wish I took the anti-anxiety pill. But it was over fast.

The doctor then cauterizes the wound (you can smell it burning) and uses staples, not stitches, to close it. They said it heals better with this method.

12:30pm
Lunch. You can order anything you want from the cafeteria downstairs as part of the fee.

During this time, the techs go into another room and begin to separate the hair follicles.

1:00pm
Dr. Klienman numbs your temple and crown with a series of injections. This hurt alot, I'm not going to lie. I wished I took the full dosage of pain killers offered, but I only took half. But it is over quick and they give you balls to squeeze.

1:30pm
The doctor "punches" your skin with something, where the donor hair is going, while the nurse counts off the incisions.

2:30pm
The donated hairs are finally separated. They bring them in on petri dishes in piles of 100 follicles.

Two techs and nurse -- with Dr. Klienman's oversight -- begin filling in the incisions one-by-one with the donated follicles. Three of them are working on you at the same time.

During this, you have to remain completely still until they are done. I had to get up a few times to stretch.

6:30pm
The procedure is complete. Staying still for 4 hours is tough, but you can bring music or whatever you want to help time pass. I just listened to the nurse and techs talk.

They give you instructions, prescriptions for pain and inflammation, pillow covers in case you bleed (I didn't), a surgical hat to wear on your way home, and a spray bottle with some solution to keep your head moist over the next few days.

I tried to drive home back to the city, but since it was rush hour, I just stayed the night at the Hyatt House -- just 2 miles from the doctor's facility. It is not that I was in pain, but I did feel somewhat traumatized and didn't want to sit in traffic for two hours, so it was worth the extra $140 for a room to have a place to rest.

That night the back of my head started to hurt as the numbing wore off, so I took a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol and slept well. The next morning I was fine to drive.

The day after:

The only that hurts the day after is the donor area. Nothing else is sore or tender. A couple of Tylenol every 4-6 hours works really well though. You also have to spray the implanted areas a few times a day with the solution they give you -- and be careful not to touch anything. Overall, I felt just fine.

SUMMARY:

I can't whole-heartedly suggest Dr. Klienman yet, because it will take a few months to see the results. But the experience of the consultation and procedure was top notch.

For anyone considering a hair transplant, from any doctor, I'd suggest getting a few consultations and seeing who you click with. Make a list of questions to ask beforehand. And DO NOT refuse the pain and anti-anxiety meds.

I'll probably need a second procedure within a few years, which will be easier because I'll know what to expect. And hopefully this will help you a little too.

Below are photos from the day of. The line looks a little weird because my head was swelling (and mis-shaped to begin with) but in real life, the results are pretty even.

I'll post updated photos in a few weeks and a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, hope all goes well, but, 2000 grafts are quite small amount to risk a STRIP with the possible future scar issue...