The hairloss story of baldy ben

baldyben

Reaction score
Baldy Ben - 3 months update: Some progress, I believed.

Hi everyone. I'm a 30 years old guy who started to suffer hair loss. A couple weeks ago, I found this forum and after reading most of the posts in the thread, it really make me think positively about hair loss. Thus with all these successful stories over here, I would like to create my own thread as well to keep track my progress too.

History/Family background:
I do not have thick hair since I was young. My father is 68 years old and he is NW3 now. While I'm on the NW3+ vertex now.
I noticed my hair started to get thinner on top/crown area a year ago. At first I thought that my hair loss was due to medification treatment after my major knee surgery (ACL replacement and meniscus repair). Besides that, my scalp during that time was oily/redness on top and very itchy.
After I consulted my doctor, he told me that the medification will not cause hair loss. So I thought that my scalp condition was the culprit but after a few hair treatment to "repair" my then bad condition but the hair loss did not stop.

Biotin/Multi V:

At that time, I was still refuse to accept that I'm having male pattern baldness. Took biotin and multi V during the beginning of the year (roughly 9 months) but still not much progress although hair loss reduced.

Finasteride:
With all those effort that did not give me much improvement, I ended up with finasteride (1.25mg proscar) on 21 Sept 2014. Not much improvement but I still have not reach a month yet and understand finasteride normally take months or years to do miracle. Anyway, I do not face any side effect thus far (cross fingers)..
Update Dec 2014:
3 months on Fins. No sides at all. However faced shedding phase on the 2nd month after I took it.

Rogaine Minoxidil 5%:
I just bought myself few bottles of minoxidil and I plan to start them on 21 Oct 2014 after a month of taking finasteride. It makes me easier to remember the date when I started.
Update Dec 2014:
2 months on minoxidil. No sides at all. Has yet to face any serious shed. I believe this will happen after 3 months of time.

Nizoral 2% Ketoconazole shampoo:

I have yet to use this but since Nizoral is one of the Big 3s, I would like to add this to my regimen once I'm able to source it.
Update Dec 2014:
1.5 months on nizoral. No sides at all. Using twice a week.

Hair Condition/Progress:

Hair Progress.jpg

Current Regimen:
1. Bio-Life PilFood - 2x per day (Started Jan 2014)
2. Multi Vitamin - 1x per day (Started Jan 2014)
3. Finasteride (Proscar 1.25mg) - 1x per day (Started on 21 Sept 2014)

baldyben

Reaction score
Here is my hair condition when zoom in. Please help to comment on how bad is my hair condition.

Hair Condition (Zoom In)
Back
Back - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Crown
Crown - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Forelock
Forelock - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Midscalp
Midscalp - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Vertex
Vertex - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Side
Side - Hair Zoom In.jpg

Side Front
IMG_20141015_232205.jpg
IMG_20141015_232227.jpg

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
You have any before pics? I would say just continue to stick with what you are using. If it has slowed your hair loss I would say at least your regimen is making a difference. Sometimes it takes a while for finasteride to regrow hair.

albionlad

Reaction score
I would say you have a Norwood 2 hairline
My personal advice would be stick with finasteride on it's for a few months - you may not even need minoxidil

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I must applaud your styling skills, after you style your hair you do not look balding at all - at least until a wind breeze uncovers the top of your head... Anyway your hair doesn't look too bad, and you seem to have kept most of your hairline. Good luck with treatment.

baldyben

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the reply and support.

Finally I managed to find an old picture of me but unfortunately it is a front view instead of top view. Please take a look how it went from 2008 to 2014.
Picture 010.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After a month on fins. It's time for me to update my progress. No side effect from fins thus far but I shed quite a lot and is time for me to start minoxidil. I believe using minoxidil will shed quite a number as well and when worse comes to worst, I'm planning to use concealer to hide my bald spot. :$

1 month finasteride - Dry Hair.jpg1 month finasteride - Wet Hair.jpg
Dry Wet

By the way, I came across of several Nizoral 2% shampoo. May I know which is the most commonly used? Or is it all are the same with different packaging only? Please, help needed before I get one.

1547648_f260.jpgnizoral-2-shampoo-botak-bald-minoxidil-rogaine-regro-gynieparadise-1205-25-GynieParadise@5.jpgnizoral-shampoo.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I must applaud your styling skills, after you style your hair you do not look balding at all - at least until a wind breeze uncovers the top of your head... Anyway your hair doesn't look too bad, and you seem to have kept most of your hairline. Good luck with treatment.

Ya, I'm having pompadour hairstyle so that I can hide my bald spot with my frontal hair. Wind breeze and direct spotlight are a nightmare to me where it will uncovers my bald spot. Sigh...

bram1988

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the reply and support.

Finally I managed to find an old picture of me but unfortunately it is a front view instead of top view. Please take a look how it went from 2008 to 2014.
View attachment 28682

- - - Updated - - -

After a month on fins. It's time for me to update my progress. No side effect from fins thus far but I shed quite a lot and is time for me to start minoxidil. I believe using minoxidil will shed quite a number as well and when worse comes to worst, I'm planning to use concealer to hide my bald spot. :$

View attachment 28683View attachment 28684
Dry Wet

By the way, I came across of several Nizoral 2% shampoo. May I know which is the most commonly used? Or is it all are the same with different packaging only? Please, help needed before I get one.

View attachment 28685View attachment 28686View attachment 28687

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, I'm having pompadour hairstyle so that I can hide my bald spot with my frontal hair. Wind breeze and direct spotlight are a nightmare to me where it will uncovers my bald spot. Sigh...

Its pretty Much all the Same. Some say use regenepure or revita. Which has some added benifits, but it will contribute a lot more to excessive spending. If your hair/scalp doesnt dry out i would safe myself some money on the shampoo and pick a cheap one with 2% keta

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
Patience. You've barely started the treatments. Keep doing your thing and update us again in a couple months.

baldyben

Reaction score
Hey guys, some update for this month.

Faced some serious shedding after 2months on fins and 1 month on minoxidil.
However I believed that there are some growth on this month. Is it? Please help to give some comments.

First row images:
Normal styling after my hair is dried.
Second row images:
I purposely comb my hair to show the bald spot.

All images took with camera flash.

Hair Progress.jpg