The Miconazole Experiment Thread

CCS

Reaction score
This thread is for people who are posting pictures of their miconazole progress. Do not take it off topic with research or debate (see threads at bottom for that). Post only to bump or to add your progress or to critique other's pictures, or to add links to other miconazole threads or provide tech support.

An example of taking it off topic would be to debate whether fungal involvement causes baldness. All we care about in this thread is whether it works, not why. We just post some of the science as our reason for experimenting.

There seems to be some evidence that locally produced cholesterol hurts scalp hair, and miconazole inhibits the enzyme that makes it. And the nitrate may have an NO effect like minoxidil. Women have reported much better gains on this than on minoxidil, and some men without pictures have reported great gains too. It appears that the 2% does not have side effects, unlike the 4%. So to me, that gives us the go ahead to take some pictures and see what this stuff can really do for men.

Squeegee said you have to use it with minoxidil. I agree because the cream dries out too fast. I put generic 5% minoxidil on right after applying the cream. It went on a bit white, but disappeared after rubbing in the minoxidil. The minoxidil keeps it moist so it will keep on absorbing. This was shortly after getting out of the shower.

http://img151.imageshack.us/i/1hair.jpg/
http://img822.imageshack.us/i/1hair2.jpg/
http://img156.imageshack.us/i/1hair3.jpg/
http://img201.imageshack.us/i/1hair5.jpg/
http://img541.imageshack.us/i/1hair6.jpg/
http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1hiar4.jpg/

I scratched an X in my guard so I would know which one I used. I buzzed my hair with it and took pictures. 1hair6 is with the meds rubbed in, whereas the rest are dry. The bathroom door is shut, so the only light is from the bulb, so it should be the same later. I will buzz every 2 weeks and take pictures.

If you have a sensitive scale, weighing the hairs would be better, but you have to dry them before weighing, and make sure the buzzers are clean before and after and so is the floor. Also, you would have to buzz and let it grow without miconazole for a month to establish a baseline. I prefer to jump in, so picks it is.

I have been shampooing with nizoral every day for a month, rotating in piroctone olamine here and there. I've been on finasteride 1.25 mg every day for a month too. Or maybe it was 2 months for both. I've seen regrowth on that, but also have been using minoxidil about once or twice a day, missing a day here or there.

In addition to the miconazole, I plan to start taking biotin and folic acid, and also sesamin and borageseed oil, and oral arginine. I might rotate in an aminexil shampoo once a week. So this is not a very controlled experiment, though my main goal is to see if any of that can be filled in. We will soon see if anything is better than finasteride plus nizoral. RU will not be added to the minoxidil until much later when I have more money.

If you want to debate or research, post in these threads. This thread is just for posting results or asking for better pictures.
Here are some other miconazole threads:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62968
viewtopic.php?p=548004#p548004
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57738
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63077
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62654
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62193

CCS

Reaction score
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63030

Those are some pictures of me from a month ago. Think the nizoral did anything? Hair is the same length. Darker lighting, though. I'd say if there is a difference, it is not that big.

CCS

Reaction score
So far I've been applying twice a day, every day, with minoxidil right after to make it stay moist. I've been applying it to my entire thinning area, even right above the ears. No head aches. No side effects. No changes yet. Looks fine though, cosmetically.

I just realized again I should probably just apply it to one half of my head. I will do the whole back and top back, but near the front where I can see hairs more easily, I will start just doing my right side. That way if there is a difference, I can see it better.

And this Miconazole is good stuff. I guess I had ring worm on my chest the last 6 months and did not know that was what it was. It looked like a few hives, but flat. I did not pay much attention since it did not itch. Well, when I got the miconazole, I got the idea that maybe I was infected. Just one application faded the spots dramatically. I just put on another application. It says to use it 4 weeks, but I bet it will be gone in less than a week. Definitely not fake stuff.

My regimen right now is
internal finasteride
Nizoral 1% shampoo EOD
Piroctone olamine shampoo EOD til gone
tricomin spray right after shower
Miconazole Nitrate 2% after most of the tricomin dries in 20 minutes
Minoxidil generic 5% right after miconazole to keep it moist. Both M's 2x per day.

CCS

Reaction score
Applying the topicals to my short hair is very fast and easy. No side effects, though I don't get side effects from anything. Never have.

The 2% miconazole faded my fungal infections in 2 days to the point I can't find them to know where to apply a 3 application. I decided to look at my back and sides, just to be safe, since the stuff does not itch or burn. Sure enough, there was plenty back there. So I applied miconazole back there. Should get ride of it. I'll bleach all my sheets. Fantastic stuff. I just apply it on my body once a day after a shower and put my shirt on right away.

CCS

Reaction score
My vertex appears to be thinning and diffusing wider. I'll take some pictures in a week after a hair cut to be sure. One problem is I moved, so the new bathroom I'll be taking pictures in will have different lighting. I'll get the angle the same, but the color and intensity will be different.

My regimen is
*spironolactone pills in piroctone olamine shampoo eod until gone, and nizoral shampoo eod until the spironolactone is gone.
*fincar 1.25mg ed
*copper peptides at night till gone
*minoxidil 5% and miconazole nitrate in the morning

I've maintained 8 years on finasteride (I think I maintained. No pics). My goal is to see some regrowth with this complex topical regime.

I also started taking biotin and a few other supplements.