The neverending shed...

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going on month six of serious shedding, so I'm guessing its not just a shed that will shortly return to normal (I assumed normal sheds lasted just a few months). I have a real diffuse problem now. I've been on Propecia (1mg/day) for almost 3 years and now assume it has lost its efficacy. One month ago I added Nizoral but have seen no benefits yet (too early to tell).

I'm thinking of jumping on Proscar (1.25mg/day) because its cheaper, but also in the hopes that the extra .25mg's will get me back into shape.
Would the extra finasteride per day help? I need to stop this shedding now and get my hair thicker again, but I'm not too excited about jumping on the minoxidil train. I'd prefer to stick with the pills for now. Any advice??

I've heard of guys who've kept their hair for up to 10 years on finasteride, I only lasted 2.5 and now I'm back to square one - whats the deal?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
1.25 wont make much diff from 1mg..figures show it probably wouldnt even decrease dht binding by even 1%..the figures were posted on the messageboard only the other day.

what about trying dutasteride? or why not minoxidil? buzz your hair if you think you can. but if choosing either of the above, you gotta be prepared for a shed first. sorry!

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just pretty depressed that finasteride has begun to lose it efficacy. I just wasnt prepared to deal with that.
They don't warn you of that when you first start.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
its not losing its efficacy - that would suggest its not working to prevent balding anymore. but its still keeping your dht levels lower, thus slowing your natural balding rate. so dont drop it (unless you were planning on switching it for dutasteride or something).

hold in there. if you read the **EXPERIENCED finasteride USERS PLZ** post i did, some people are saying their hair went through a big crap phase but can bounce back again. i dunno in your case, maybe you should hold on another 2 months or so. if not, why not switch to dutasteride? or maybe consider adding minoxidil, but you gotta be prepared for sheds. at least youve only used finasteride - so youve still got plenty of other weapons in the arsenal that should get you through the next 5-10 years and something else might be along then. you could hold on even longer, who knows. good luck.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
20sometingtoo, I agree with you that after 3 years the finasteride may well be losing its efficacy. Although it continues to reduce DHT by the same percentage as always this male pattern baldness affliction is progressive so if, over time, either our baseline DHT levels escalate or our follicles' sensitivity to it increases then we may require a higher rate of suppression just to get the same results.

I guess your main options are dutasteride or spironolactone and unfortunately a shed is odds on whichever you choose.

Slarti