The perfect drug combination

andyhunt

Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone know the answer to this question.
I had a transplant 4 months ago and really want to be taking the ideal combination of drugs to keep my existing hair (possibly grow back some of the lost hair) and make sure the transplanted hair has the perfect foundations.

At the moment I am taking:

Finasteride 1mg a day (actually 2.5mg every other day)
Vitamin E Capsules (400u a day)
Centrum multivitamins
3000mg MSM a day (was in powder form but now going on to the tablets)

I also take Ladose daily but unrelated to the hair stuff.

Is this the correct combination or has anyone had results with a different combination.
You can see my progress at http://www.headofhair.co.uk

Cheers
Andy

G

I think you have already got all the obvious ones, but how about a ketoconazole shampoo like Nizoral? (or Boots own brand in the UK)

Translation:
Ketoconazole = Nizoral shampoo
Salicylic acid = T/Sal shampoo (T/Gel with Salcylic Acid in the UK)

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

andyhunt

Reaction score
Vitamin E is good for the skin and hair and is a superb anti-oxident.
All part of the vanity process :)

andyhunt

Reaction score
tynanW said:
I think you have already got all the obvious ones, but how about a ketoconazole shampoo like Nizoral? (or Boots own brand in the UK)

Translation:
Ketoconazole = Nizoral shampoo
Salicylic acid = T/Sal shampoo (T/Gel with Salcylic Acid in the UK)

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

If I was to switch shampoo's to these 2, what regime would you recommend to get the best out of the products?

drinkrum

Reaction score
To counter, Nizoral never did much for me. It dried my hair out completely and made it worse than before. I just stick with T/Gel whenever I shower. The stuff is mild and does the trick. By the way, T/Gel was the shampoo used in the Propecia clinical trials.

D.

andyhunt

Reaction score
I've just ordered some MSM tablets (1000mg each) as I cannot stand the taste of the crystals. I've also ordered some saw palmetto to give that a go.
I'll pick up some T/gel tomorrow and have a go with that - is it the original formula I need?
What conditioner do I use with the T/Gel?

Cheers
Andy

G

andyhunt said:
I've just ordered some MSM tablets (1000mg each) as I cannot stand the taste of the crystals.

Yeah! MSM powder in a glass of water tastes like horse piss, not good.

Try and source organic MSM, if the product does not state organic MSM, presume it is the cheaper less bio-available MSM produced as a petrochemical byproduct. Organic MSM is derived from tree bark.

andyhunt said:
I've also ordered some saw palmetto to give that a go.

I am not so sure with your 'give it a go' attitude towards medications, presumably you would take saw palmetto because you believe it can have some benefit on DHT levels, there is no proof that the DHT inhibition seen in the prostate translates to a benefit to male pattern baldness patients.

There have been numerous reports of extended sheds whilst on saw palmetto, there are many articles on the subject on HLTs main page.

andyhunt said:
I'll pick up some T/gel tomorrow and have a go with that - is it the original formula I need?
What conditioner do I use with the T/Gel?

Sorry to be critical but you seem to be launching into medications with abandon, you need to look into these things first. I would not recommend throwing some propecia down your neck, then 'giving saw palmetto a go' and 'having a go on T/gel'

I would weigh up your options not just bulk buy any products people mention, you may damage your chances of a healthy scalp.

The reason T/gel was used in the propecia trials is because it does not promote hair growth in any direct way and therefore would not skew the trial results.

The reason Nizoral could not be used in the trials is because it does effect hair growth and therefore would skew the trial results.

andyhunt

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice and concern - I am a little bit spontaneous when it comes to my new head of hair and you are right, I should hold fire on trying new things out.

I will stick to my finasteride although it has started to effect my libido and I seem to have lost my morning glory (I'm ok every other time)
I heard that saw palmetto could also increase libido so I thought if I take both finasteride and saw palmetto together, it would mean I would get my libido back to where it was before (high!!) and still get the benefits of keeping my existing hair.

The MSM I've ordered is:

MSM 1000mg Tablets (Methylsulfonylmethane) SUGAR, SALT AND STARCH FREE Suitable for Vegans DIRECTIONS FOR USE: As a food supplement for adults 1-2 tablets daily, preferably at mealtime, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner. One tablets provide: MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 1000 mg Tableted with these natural ingredients: Dicalcium phosphate, stearic acid, silicon (silicon dioxide (silica)). Available in bottles of 120 Tablets. UPC Code 1734

I guess this is not organic so I've probably ordered the not-so-good stuff.

I'll also hold fire on changing my shampoo - I like the one I'm using so I'll stick to that.

Appreciate all you've said - I just want the best chance for my head of hair.

Andy

Andy

G

andyhunt said:
Thanks for the good advice and concern - I am a little bit spontaneous when it comes to my new head of hair and you are right, I should hold fire on trying new things out.

:)

andyhunt said:
I will stick to my finasteride although it has started to effect my libido and I seem to have lost my morning glory (I'm ok every other time)

Sexual side effects tend to subside with the continued use of the medications, carry on taking the finasteride and your libido will more than likely swing up and down before eventually settling.

andyhunt said:
I heard that saw palmetto could also increase libido so I thought if I take both finasteride and saw palmetto together, it would mean I would get my libido back to where it was before (high!!) and still get the benefits of keeping my existing hair.

Saw palmetto is a fairly powerful natural drug, with implications beyond it's reported libido enhancement.

You may want to look into L-Arginnie, a natural amino acid with 'trouser' benefits as it is a precursor to Nitric-Oxide.

andyhunt said:
The MSM I've ordered is:

MSM 1000mg Tablets (Methylsulfonylmethane) SUGAR, SALT AND STARCH FREE Suitable for Vegans

LOL!, clever marketing here! there is certainly no meat in petrochemicals.

andyhunt said:
DIRECTIONS FOR USE: As a food supplement for adults 1-2 tablets daily, preferably at mealtime, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner. One tablets provide: MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 1000 mg Tableted with these natural ingredients: Dicalcium phosphate, stearic acid, silicon (silicon dioxide (silica)). Available in bottles of 120 Tablets. UPC Code 1734

These people are good :), using phrases like 'Suitable for Vegans' and 'with these natural ingredients' sounds good, but obviously the wording still allows the MSM to be a non-natural petrochemical product.

andyhunt said:
I just want the best chance for my head of hair.

The best thing you can do for your hair is spend a few weeks reading all the information on this and a handful of other trusted hair loss sites.

Good Luck

Ty

andyhunt

Reaction score
How about GENALIBO for the morning glory issue.

It contains:

L-Arginine 55mg
L-Lysine 60mg
Ginkgo Biloba Extract (50:1) 80mg
Zinc (Citrate) 7.5mg
Damiana Extract (4:1) 125mg
Sarsaparilla Root 85mg
L-Carnitine L-Tartrate 5mg
Korean Ginseng 25mg
Guarana 40mg
Capsule Shell: Vegetable Cellulose 100mg

There is also a L-ARGININE 500mg available over the counter but it doesn;t mention anything about libido on the label.

Does that sound good to you?

Cheers and many thanks

Andy