The Propecia Shed.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Closing in on 3 months with this stuff and the hair started coming out at the 2 month mark. Definitely back up to pre-Propecia levels and probably then some. The first few weeks on Propecia I was shedding only miniaturized hairs, now it's everything! Even weirder, my scalp isn't itching much but the front 1/2 inch-1inch of my hairline feels raw. It doesn't look like it, but it definitely feels like it. I don't use topicals at all except for nizoral 2x/week so this puzzles me.

This past weekend I was at a seminar and sat at a white-tableclothed table with some folks taking a simulated bar exam. Lots of looking down with my hand on my forehead. By the end of the test, there were just hairs all over the place. I wasn't forcing a shed or anything. I'm still in good shape (barely NW2), so this shedding is really worrying me based on the comments I've heard about Propecia thinning out fronts. That was my whole reluctance to go on the stuff, because frontal loss is all I've got.

If you've got thoughts for me, now would be a great time.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
cmon guys, i've been around for 6 months and i chime in with what i know... someone must have some ideas about what is going on..i dont care if its second-hand knowledge.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know how relevant this is but Ill tell you about my frontal hair loss.

For 9 years my temples have been receeding slowly, november last year the thinning was leaving NW2 territory so I thought i better stop/slow it. I started doing minoxidil and in december propecia. For the past month or 2 I notice tiny dark hairs on my fingers after I apply the foam, probably 7 or 10 of them each application. I dont lose any other hairs that I know of. My right temple has either stopped on baseline or maybe got a bit better or a bit worse I cant tell definately, but my problem left temple has gotten worse, in fact I had a 3cm or 4cm of healthy hairline left of my widows peak last november before I started treatment, now its pretty thin and not looking like a hairline at all, I would be surprised if going by this rate I will have anything there this time next year bar some weedy vellus hair.

My optimistic hope would like to think that this will improve by the 1 year mark as a lot of people report that their hair thins out, then gets better by the 1 year mark.

I dont really have much optimistic hope for the foam, I actually think its causing the thinning the most, I have been on the foam for 4 months (and liquid for another 5) so I should be getting results, but I am not.

I am going to stick it out on the foam for 4 more months and propecia maybe 2 years as some people get good results within the 2 year mark.

p.s. I am also getting a bit suspicious of propecia thinning out the rest of my hair. But I dont want to say one way or the other because I cant tell for certain.