The Story of a Long-Haired Man (22 years old)

Shagrath

Reaction score
Hello. I am 22-year old long-haired metal music fan. I'd appreciate if you'd take the time to read my story and probably even help me. I first started to grow my hair when I was about 12-13. I grew it for over about 7-8 years until I was 19 and cut it off because of conscription in my country. My hair reached my *** by the time I cut it off. It looked good and I got compliments from a lot of girls. By the time I got out of the army, I started to grow my hair out again.

I bet you can guess the problem. I suspect that my balding process has begun, even though I'm not quite sure of that. It was a couple months ago that I noticed some thinning/receding around my temples. Some of the hair has magically turned "shorter" and thinner. I haven't noticed any excessive shedding. My hairline has been high since I was a child so it is kind of hard to tell any difference. I often keep my hair open or in a ponytail, so this thinning part always gets covered by hair. I can't remember exactly what my hairline looked like before but I guess it has stayed quite at a same level as before. I still think there is some thinning going on because I don't remember having that kind of hair before when pulling my hair up. My father has pretty much lost all the hair on his crown, so it wouldn't be a big surprise. On the other hand, his hair was always thin compared to mine. My crown is as full as it always has been, which I will show you in the pictures. I guess that I'll ask my barber the next time when I'll have my hair trimmed if this really is about male pattern baldness.

Which treatment would you recommend for me and how much would it cost? Do I need a prescription for this specific drug? Will I lose any hair during the process? Keeping my hair is kind of a must for me as I'm so into the extreme metal scene. I love long hair and the bald look doesn't suit me at all because my head is not shaped in a good way for that. I'm ready to even invest money in order to keep my hair! I've had positive experiences with Minoxidil 5% (liquid version) as I decided to try it out on my face in order to achieve better facial hair growth. I couldn't believe how good it worked on me. Previously I was able to grow a moustache and a thin strap on my chin. I will post pictures about this progress too. Nowadays I can grow a decent chin strap and even hair on my cheeks. I used Minoxidil for about 6 months starting from January 2014, then I slowly started to quit. I didn't have any side effects from using it, but I wanted to try if I will still keep my new facial hair if I'd quit the treatment. I haven't used Minoxidil for nearly two years now and all my facial hair is still there. This is really not about me maturing,because my puberty started at a normal point of time. My facial hair progression had already stopped by the time I started Minoxidil. I couldn't grow any hair on my neck before the treatment. I think I had like one cheek hair and a couple of hairs here and there on my jawline. My face turned out pretty hairy a couple of months after I started using Minoxidil two times per day and after I decided to grow it out. The point is that this sh*t works for me.

EDIT: Removed pictures because I felt like they could reveal identity.

Last edited:

Shagrath

Reaction score
Couldn't include all pictures in the first message so here are a few other pictures. One picture is with short hair from approximately a couple of weeks after I cut my long hair in January 2013. I'll also include a facial hair comparison here. I always shave the hair on my cheeks as I don't get very much there. I also shave my moustache. And yes, I don't have the jihadist beard anymore, but this is just so you can see the effects of Minoxidil. :) The picture where I have very long hair is pretty much all the facial hair I could grow before Minoxidil. I could grow the same quite thick moustache back then as I can nowadays though.

EDIT: Removed pictures because I felt like they could reveal identity.

Last edited:

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is very thin, your hairline has receded. You got those male pattern baldness genes, sorry to tell you. male pattern baldness doesn't care how long your hair is or how important it is to your image. It didn't care when it happened to Scott Ian, it didn't care when it happened to Kerry King, it didn't care when it happened to Herman Li. It's not fair, but all you can do is stick with minoxidil and finasteride, if it doesn't improve then switch to dutasteride. You need finasteride asap.

Reaction score
Your hair is very thin, your hairline has receded. You got those male pattern baldness genes, sorry to tell you. male pattern baldness doesn't care how long your hair is or how important it is to your image. It didn't care when it happened to Scott Ian, it didn't care when it happened to Kerry King, it didn't care when it happened to Herman Li. It's not fair, but all you can do is stick with minoxidil and finasteride, if it doesn't improve then switch to dutasteride. You need finasteride asap.
Why are you so sure he has male pattern baldness, I think it's probably a mature hairline. His hairline is still straight, but he doesn't have the teenage type temple points. Which is normal considering he's 22, not a little boy.

Shagrath

Reaction score
Why are you so sure he has male pattern baldness, I think it's probably a mature hairline. His hairline is still straight, but he doesn't have the teenage type temple points. Which is normal considering he's 22, not a little boy.

Yup, it is quite interesting that my hairline has always been quite unique. I wouldn't call my hair that thin. Long hair can kind of make any hair look thinner and especially when I've brushed it like this so that there is no "extra volume". By they way, I heard that Kirk Hammett has been on Rogáine forever and he still does quite well with his hair even though he is 30 years older than me. I wouldn't surrender the struggle yet :D

bluemoon1212

Established Member
Reaction score
Simple as this, get on an AA or you're going to go bald. You can sit here and argue this or that about your hairline, which we've all done, all the while losing more and more until you can no longer use a coping mechanism to deny your loss, or you can save your hair. I don't post on public forums a lot because of BS like this "mature hairline" argument. You're losing your hair. If you like your hair, save yourself the regret most of us face and take the damn pill.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Shagrath

Did you noticed any change in hair or scalp oilness when you did cut your long hair?

Im my opinion people with long and thin hair cut severely and repeteadly his hair are prone to develop common hair loss.

The problem could be problems with sebum or hair fat flow.

Shagrath

Reaction score
Simple as this, get on an AA or you're going to go bald. You can sit here and argue this or that about your hairline, which we've all done, all the while losing more and more until you can no longer use a coping mechanism to deny your loss, or you can save your hair. I don't post on public forums a lot because of BS like this "mature hairline" argument. You're losing your hair. If you like your hair, save yourself the regret most of us face and take the damn pill.

No need to be rude. Which pill are you exactly referring to? I've heard of so many different variants.

Im my opinion people with long and thin hair cut severely and repeatedly his hair are prone to develop common hair loss.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Yes, I've definitely noticed that my hair tends to get oily much easier. I think this started in like early Winter. I somehow connected it to the climate here in Finland. It was kind of thanks to this observation that I started to investigate my hair more closer. Could you tell me more about what you are referring to, dude? By the way, I've also been living a bit unhealthy since Winter. I study at an University so alcohol consumption has been quite high. I also smoke and have been eating quite much crappy food.

bluemoon1212

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not being rude at all. I'm being honest. I've taken both fun and dutasteride. I greatly prefer dutasteride. You can get the generic from AllDayChemist.com. Good luck to ya. Hope you make the right call.

Shagrath

Reaction score
...It's the ponytail, and the other styles where your pulling your
hair.

I strongly suggest not tying your hair in a ponytail, or other stretching hairstyle (i.e. man bun)...

Thanks for the comment. It could be true to a certain point, but I don't think it is completely about that. A regular pony tail isn't that tight and I have always used that hairstyle without problems. I heard that there is a company in my city which offers hair root examination services of some sort. The main goal is to to determine if you are carrying the balding gene. I think the price for the examination is about 140€ so it is quite expensive. I'll probably keep an eye on the situation myself and eventually start the Prophecia thingy. I wonder if it could glitch in the same way that the Minoxidil did for me, because I've only seen people saying that you will lose all your new facial hair for sure, if you quit Minoxidil.

Kingswat0

Reaction score
Finasteride 1mg or Proscar 5mg cut into 4ths

If you're worried about hairloss, you need to start taking Finasteride. That is "the damn pill" that was mentioned before. Propecia is the brand name for finasteride, but if you want to save some money while achieving the same results, then generic finasteride 1mg is perfect.
Good luck bro!

Shagrath

Reaction score
If you're worried about hairloss, you need to start taking Finasteride. That is "the damn pill" that was mentioned before. Propecia is the brand name for finasteride, but if you want to save some money while achieving the same results, then generic finasteride 1mg is perfect.
Good luck bro!

Okay! Thanks for the information, dude!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup, it is quite interesting that my hairline has always been quite unique. I wouldn't call my hair that thin. Long hair can kind of make any hair look thinner and especially when I've brushed it like this so that there is no "extra volume". By they way, I heard that Kirk Hammett has been on Rogáine forever and he still does quite well with his hair even though he is 30 years older than me. I wouldn't surrender the struggle yet :D

I had hair down to my arse too, told myself the same thing. My hair was thinner because long hair get caught in clothing and pulled out a lot, or because the waight of the hair pulls it flat. NOPE. Denial.

It was male pattern baldness. Your parting is wide, too wide, and that's a bad sign. It's strong indicator of diffuse patterned androgenic alopecia. Don't delay, you still have most of your hair, you can thicken it back up. You're young and probably lost the hair in the last 2 years. Good luck.

Shagrath

Reaction score
I had hair down to my arse too, told myself the same thing. My hair was thinner because long hair get caught in clothing and pulled out a lot, or because the waight of the hair pulls it flat. NOPE. Denial.

It was male pattern baldness. Your parting is wide, too wide, and that's a bad sign. It's strong indicator of diffuse patterned androgenic alopecia. Don't delay, you still have most of your hair, you can thicken it back up. You're young and probably lost the hair in the last 2 years. Good luck.

Good to hear. I have to ask my father about his balding pattern and when it started. Maybe I can get some indications from him. I bet the balding gene comes from him (or actually from my paternal grandmother). My father and his brother have the same balding pattern and even my paternal grandmother has thin hair. On the other side, my paternal grandfather and none of his many brother's have male pattern baldness. I never got to meet my maternal grandfather, but I've seen in pictures that he was bald. Btw, I bet your Herman Li look was cool!

Last edited:

Shagrath

Reaction score
Do you think that the doctor will prescribe Finasteride for me? I have a feeling that they maybe won't do it, because they may have a lack of information when it comes to this medicine. I heard that you can get it without a prescription, but I think it would be better to get a prescription. The social system in my country pays 42% of the medicine this way and of course it will be easier in many ways.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think that the doctor will prescribe Finasteride for me? I have a feeling that they maybe won't do it, because they may have a lack of information when it comes to this medicine. I heard that you can get it without a prescription, but I think it would be better to get a prescription. The social system in my country pays 42% of the medicine this way and of course it will be easier in many ways.

Most doctors do indeed SUCK when it comes to treat male pattern baldness. You can go to see yours with articles / studies etc and explain that you have thought about it and that you understand the risks.

Shagrath

Reaction score
Most doctors do indeed SUCK when it comes to treat male pattern baldness. You can go to see yours with articles / studies etc and explain that you have thought about it and that you understand the risks.

Thanks for the tip. I am a person that has a tendency for anxiety and I used to take medication against it. It could work as an argument, because in this case it's either the anxiety medicine or finasteride that is going to be prescribed.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean there. Do you think the doctor will hold your anxiety against you, as "anxiety disminishes your capacity of judgement" ?

Shagrath

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean there. Do you think the doctor will hold your anxiety against you, as "anxiety disminishes your capacity of judgement" ?

I meant that if he decides to leave my condition untreated, I will probably get so anxious about my balding that I'll have to hop back on the anxiety medicine. So why wouldn't he just prescribe finasteride for me?

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry, now I get it.
Yes it's relevant but IMO this should be your very last resort if your GP is really reluctant. Use the science first !