The Traveler's Story (Pictures Included)

The Traveler

Reaction score
Hello forum-

Like all of you, I'm attempting to fight hair loss. I'm currently 26 years old, but noticed a receding hairline at the age of 19. Of course, I was in denial and though it initially bothered me, I somewhat ignored the issue and acted like nothing was wrong.

Luckily, I have maintained my hair these years with a hairline that has receded (I'd say I'm a 1.9 in the Norwood scale - hairline looks like MTV Johny Knoxville's), but very slowly. What has prompted me into action is that a few months ago, I noticed that I had an area on the vertex where the hair is starting to thin. I will post some pictures so that perhaps you can tell me if my diagnosis is accurate. My dad is balding at 50 (Norwood 4A), but my maternal grandfather is 80 with a full head of hair, so perhaps my genes are having an all-out war to see who will win.

In terms of treatment, I began 5% minoxidil (Rogaine) in November of 2004 and 1 mg of finasteride (Propecia) the latter half of December 2004. As supporting products, I will begin using 2% Nizoral and Copper Peptides (American Crew Revitalize) as soon as they arrive via mail. Any feedback on the regimen? So far, I've noticed the area on top has worsen (which I attribute to the initial shed caused by Rogaine), but I've see small, thin hairs already growing on my hairline (these little fellas were certainly not there before).

In terms of objective, I'd like to obviously maintain what I have, fill in the vertex, and hopefully (crossing fingers) restore my hairline a little bit with new hair and making it stronger (i.e., increase hair diameter). I will not worry on a daily basis about the progress from the treatment, but I will attempt to take pictures on a monthly basis to track progress. I know that the treatment may take up to two years to show final results, so I'm not holding my breath.

I stumbled upon this website a few months ago and I'd like to thank everyone for their wise words. You guys have all been a great help so far and for this reason I've decided to share my story with you.

Feedback on Norwood diagnosis (Norwood 1.9) and regimen is highly appreciated.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thetraveler1996/album?.dir=/8f2e&.src=ph&.tok=phQ6jVCBRYJQUdRG

The Traveler

Reaction score
More Information on Reginme

In terms of the regimen, I plan on following this schedule:

- Propecia: daily
- Rogaine 5%: 2x day
- Nizoral 2%: Every 2 days
- American Crew Revitalize Cu Peptide Spray: 2x day

Thoughts?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Howdy The Traveler :)

I dont think minoxidil is going to do you much good bud... Your hair already looks thick and I dont see any thin spots... Those temples of yours is pretty normal for your age and I can almost guarantee you minoxidil isnt going to fill in that little bit of recession up front.

The Finasteride and Nizoral is a good idea though for preventative measures... The copper peptides... I use em on my scalp and face for overall health but that is about all copper peptides are really good for IMO.

Good luck in your endeavors bud!

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair looks find and there is no sign of frontal receding.it is good to start on propecia as preventive but not on rogaine.

The Traveler

Reaction score
2 1/2 Month Update

Forum-

I've using Rogaine for 2 1/2 months and Propecia for 1 month. So far, no serious side effects, except for shedding (about 10-15 hairs in my hand when I shower at night) and slight scalp itching, which I'm trying to deal with by using 2 % Nizoral (thanks BadHairDecade for the Canadian pharmacy link) and T-Gel shampoo 3 times per week.

I also started using the American Crew Revitalize kit this week. I actually think the shampoo and conditioners smell great, so I plan on using these every day. I use the Am Crew Copper Peptide spray after Rogaine nightly all over my scalp.

Anyway, in terms of growth, I have vellus (sp) hairs growing on my hair line, which may be getting thicker (seems like it). Also, I've felt "stubble" on the vertex, where I don't have a bald spot, but a thinning part in my hair.

So I realize that following a hair loss regimen is tedious, time-consuming, and inconvenient, but today I saw a friend from high school (we're 26) for the first time in years, and oh man, this guy had awesome hair in school, but now, he has a small patch of hair on the top of his head and the temples are gone. I came home tonight, showered, and diligently applied my Rogaine.

Good luck folks.

G

You don't seem to have hairloss. I will kill for your hair...

Mingebreth

Reaction score
You belong on the `ive got sh itloads of hair forum` Looks like the DHT is going to struggle to beat that hairline. Hope it does though, it will make me feel far better. :shock:

The Traveler

Reaction score
Thanks ming.

Seriously man, gotta start dealing with hair loss early, that's the key, before it appears that you have hair loss 8)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Traveler,

Looks like your getting it early and you certainly have a solid regimen... if i were you though i would drop to using minoxidil once a day or wait 6 months and drop to once a day...that will also help your scalp. I would wish you good luck but i reckon your gonna be just fine. :lol:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Mingebreth said:
You belong on the `ive got sh itloads of hair forum` Looks like the DHT is going to struggle to beat that hairline. Hope it does though, it will make me feel far better. :shock:
Well now that wasn't very nice for your first post on these forums.

HairLossTalk.com

Petchsky

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Mingebreth said:
Well now that wasn't very nice for your first post on these forums.

HairLossTalk.com

I say we hang him! :lol:

The Traveler

Reaction score
Update:

Starting my fifth month of Rogaine and my third month of Propecia. My hair is no longer shedding like it was before (I'd pull out 20-30 hairs after morning and noon shower). The vertex looks the same and the hairline still has the vellus hairs which have not grownn too much. I hope that in the next 2-3 months I seen growth on my vertext (about a 1/2 diameter area of thinning) and some progress on the hairline, where I've been using Rogaine and Folligen cream.