The Truth About Growing My Hair Out To Hide My Fut Scar

Keratin Brotherhood

My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the commonly asked questions I receive regarding my Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) scar is if I am able to conceal the scar by growing my hair out long. The answer is a bit complicated, so I thought I would take a moment to explain why.

I cannot hide my scar by growing my hair out longer. This is for two reasons:
  1. My grain of hair isn’t like that of most caucasian men. Caucasian men are generally able to grow their hair out longer to hide the FUT scar because of the way their hair lays over it. My hair, on the other hand, tends to still leave the impression of the scar underneath; even at lengths of 1/2 an inch, I’m still able to see the hint of a scar.
  2. I did not have hairs transplanted into the crown of my scalp. I only had hairs transplanted into the hairline and top of my head. This means that I have very low hair density on the crown. I use a concealer called Toppik to conceal the crown. This means I cannot grow the sides out too long otherwise the crown will begin to look strange because I would have to increase the amount of Toppik on the crown and it just becomes really unnatural looking. Trust me, I’ve tried to go this route before.

So what does this mean for you?

If you are considering concealing your FUT scar after your procedure, make sure you consider the grain of hair that you have. Curly and kinky hair types tend to have a hard time hiding the scar at shorter lengths. Also, consider your current hair loss on other parts of your head. If you have great coverage even in the crown area, then you should be able to hide the scar with little to no issues.

This is one of those small things that you should seriously consider before taking the plunge into FUT hair restoration. I personally am unaffected by the fact that my scar is visible, and you might be surprised at how many people DON’T ask about it. (although they could be thinking it).

-DJ