ThickandCurly"s Story - ( to ThinFineCurly)

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Hello, been suffering from hair loss for about 13 years now. Luckily the hair loss has been pretty slow over the years, but I'm definitely losing my hair. I sympathize with everyone with hair loss and especially young people with advanced hair loss. Been reading these forums lately and been browsing forums and newsgroups off and on for 13-14 years.

Here's my profile

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/Th ... /blog/124/

These are pics of my hair at about 3 months after a haircut. My hair might look ok, but it doesn't grow as long as it used to and it isn't as thick and I don't want it to get any worse.

672.jpg

673.jpg

677.jpg

Hairline started receding when I was 18. Then the texture of all my hair changed from thick and curly to fine and curly. I used to have a lovely, thick head of long, curly locks, but it has been receding and thinning ever since the age of 18. I am 32 now. I guess I'm a lot luckier than most guys. I still have a lot of hair, it's just thinning out gradually(in front and mid scalp and vertex) and I have been shedding a good deal since age 19. Most of it grows back, but I guess my follicles are progressively being "miniaturarized". I just started on Rogaine Foam about 2 months ago and Nizoral 1% twice a week. Generic Dandruff shampoo 5 times a week. This is mainly to stop the itching from Rogaine Foam.

I have tried many things in the past in my early to mid twenties. I was on Propecia for 2 years and didn't notice a thing. No side effects, no increased shedding, no regrowth. I didn't lose anymore hair though... Hard to say if it helped. I just decided to stop it for some reason. I ordered the Propecia through an online pharmacy, so maybe I was getting counterfeit stuff? It looked pretty real to me though. I tried all sorts of other stuff like Crinagen, Tricomin, spironolactone etc. I didn't like the nasty smell of that stuff and the way it made my hair look. I also tried the liquid 5% minoxidil with and without Propylene Glycol and I just didn't like the stuff. The foam is much more convenient and doesn't mess up my hair. Not fond of the smell though, but it isn't terrible. A couple of years ago, I tried Rogaine Foam for 3 months and didn't notice any improvement, so I quit it. Maybe I should have given it more time?

Anyway, my hair is still gradually thinning and I decided to get back on Rogaine Foam and try it for at least 6 months and see what happens and then maybe get back on Propecia. I want to maintain what I have, but it would be nice to regrow some hair too. I was thinking about getting some FInpecia from Inhouse Pharmacy? I've read a lot of posts of people recommending it, so I might try it. I just hope it's not fake. I tried Propecia from an online pharmacy years ago and the packaging looked legit, but I didn't have any sides at all or notice any change in my hair while on it. I have never tried Propecia from a local pharmacy though.

I don't know where I fit on the Norwood Scale. I have a receded hairline, general thinning all over and more thinning on the vertex. Over the last few years, especially the last year, I have noticed that I don't have as much hair. Especially in front, the hairs aren't growing as long and it's thinner. I see scalp on my crown and mid scalp too. Scalp has been getting suburned in the Summer the last few years, when it didn't before. Applying Rogaine Foam to the whole area is hard and I was thinking of trying Kirkland liquid at night too, for more coverage.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: ThickandCurly to ThinFineCurly

hi there, what dandruff shampoos do you use (in terms of active ingredients). i ask bc i too am trying to get rid of the itch from rogaine foam.

ps

i would kill to have your hair at 32, it honestly doesnt look bad at all. :)

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
Re: ThickandCurly to ThinFineCurly

abovedagame said:
hi there, what dandruff shampoos do you use (in terms of active ingredients). i ask bc i too am trying to get rid of the itch from rogaine foam.

ps

i would kill to have your hair at 32, it honestly doesnt look bad at all. :)

I just use a generic "Equate" brand zinc pyrithione shampoo I buy at Walmart. I forget how cheap it was, but really cheap. A lot of it for like 4 bucks. My scalp still itches somewhat, but it's not bad, the zinc pyrithione and Nizoral AD seems to have helped a lot. It dries out my hair though and I use some cheap V05 volumizing conditoner for that. I have a hard time getting Rogaine Foam on my vertex, because I still have a decent amount of hair. Maybe it would itch more if I could actually get more of it on my scalp. It's easy to apply to my hair line though, I apply a quarter of a cap, twice a day to my hairline and temples(hoping for a chance of regrowth - though probably wasting the Rogaine there). My whole mid scalp and vertex area seems to be thinning out. It's hard to spread the Rogaine Foam around to the whole area though, because the hair I have left gets in the way. I'm thinking of adding the cheap Kirkland minoxidil liquid at night, so I can get better coverage. I'm afraid it will itch like crazy though, but I should at least try it. If it itches too much, I will dump it. Also, that's another reason why I want to get some Finpecia, since it affects all my hair.

Thanks for the comment. I guess I'm a lot luckier than a lot of you. I sympathize though. I used to have hair that was like Matthew Mcconaughey's hair used to be. I know he's lost some and had some grafts or something done. I used to get comments on how great my hair used to be. Like you have thick golden locks. Now I hear comments like, remember when he had thick, golden locks? Then I went out to dinner with my parents the other day and while we were waiting for a table, my mom just said something like "your cousins on my side of the family still have all their hair". So I guess that was an indirect comment on my hair which was upsetting to me. These cousins of mine are in their late 30's and early 40's. I just said, yeah, I inherited that from Dad's side.... I don't really have any completely bald relatives, but every male on my dad's side has some hair loss. One of my cousins on my dad's side has been wearing a buzz cut for awhile, so it's hard to judge how much hair loss he has. It looks good on him though. His brother has hair similar to mine but not curly, thin and fine and probably a Norwood 2 hairline. My dad and grandfather have a Norwood 3, I would guess, hairline. The back of their hair is diffusely thin all over though. My dad can hide a lot of it with a comb over and hair spray, but his hair is still very thin. He used to carry a comb around in his pocket, when I was growing up, and every time he walked in to a store or something, he would look in a mirror and comb his hair. I thought that was kind of weird at the time. He also used a lot of expensive Redken hair products, like Diametress. I can hide mine by combing my hair the right way and using hairspray. When I wake up in the morning and my hair's messed up, I can see a lot of scalp, especially on the vertex and crown. I would love to fill in those areas and maintain if I can. Those pics I posted were after 3 months growth and with some V05 volumizing conditoner, some combing back of the front, and some hairspray. After 2-3 months, my hair stops growing and some of it just falls out. My hair won't grow any longer. It used to grow very long and thick in a month, but my follicles have progressively miniaturized over the years. My hair has been shedding since I was 19 and for years I have noticed hairs all over my bathroom and other places too. A lot of it grows back, but some of it doesn't and the hair that grows back is getting more and more miniaturized.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. You may not think my hair loss is that bad, but I don't like it. I feel somewhat lucky that my hair loss is not as bad as most of you guys, and I sympathize. but I don't like seeing scalp on my crown, a little scalp in the front, my receded hairline, and having a lot of fine, kinky hairs, especially in front.