ThinCity's story - (19 And losing hair fast)

ThinCity

Reaction score
Hello all i'd never thought i'd be seeking advice about hairloss... this young at least. I need some help as I have recently begun losing alot of hair, the onset was rapid perhaps a few weeks ago is when I and embarassingly my roommate began to notice the vast amount of hair I was shedding. The shower and bathroom sink where I styled it would always be covered in my long dark hairs. The loss is appearing is appearing in what seems to be a random pattern with hairloss happening more rapidly in a diagonal line from the right front to the back left but I can't deny there has been overall thinning all over my hair.

Recent Picture dry = http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 011jq3.jpg
Recent Picture wet = http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9366/imag0023es0.jpg

One thing I do find curious is that my hair never sheds without being touched, I only make this point because I hear hair on the pillow being what alerts people to their hair loss.

I'm obviously pretty distraught as I always enjoyed having thick hair, luckily this had stopped the problem from being too noticeable just yet. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to reverse the process? My grandfather on my mothers side, which I was told was relevant, still has a head full of hair albeit silver.

This is not the first issue i've had with my hair, a couple of years ago I started going gray also, a few hairs but I chose to dye my hair black in that case using Just for Men, I had used it twice over the course of 6 months before the hair loss started. But the graying strangely has subsided recently I think.

Now i'm aware circumstances are very important for determining whether this is simply bad genes and bad luck so I will try to give as much helpful information as I can.

I am a student studying Medicine and had a very stressful exam experience in May of this year, where I pulled alot of all nighters and was extremely worried about failing. Although that stress is lifted now I am told it can take months for hair loss resultant from stress to appear, I do not have the best diet, mostly fast food for a year now due to the college lifestyle and due to the recent hairloss I have begun taking vit C supplements and intend to buy some multivitamins/minerals tommorow in fact. I also have dandruff, begining to wonder if I wasn't meant to have good hair, and it became worse over the last year or so I think.

This is also compounded with the fact I am travelling at the moment and having to watch my hair thickness decline over the last few weeks through photos has been painful to say the least. Any and all advice, and questions ar

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 19 And losing hair fast.

Your at a great time to start propecia because youve just started to thin. I bet you will even maintain that for a number of years, by then you'll have more than enough dough for a hair transplant.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 19 And losing hair fast.

you should go see a dermatoligist and get some blood test done to make sure this isnt something else .

ThinCity

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice so no chance of being stress related hairloss then haha? Well if that's the case I just hope I have enough hair to cover my scalp in a month when I get back home and can see a doctor. Ive seen a few thin wiry white hairs growing in the bald area normal...?

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
ThinCity said:
Hello all i'd never thought i'd be seeking advice about hairloss... this young at least. I need some help as I have recently begun losing alot of hair, the onset was rapid perhaps a few weeks ago is when I and embarassingly my roommate began to notice the vast amount of hair I was shedding. The shower and bathroom sink where I styled it would always be covered in my long dark hairs. The loss is appearing is appearing in what seems to be a random pattern with hairloss happening more rapidly in a diagonal line from the right front to the back left but I can't deny there has been overall thinning all over my hair.

Recent Picture dry = http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 011jq3.jpg
Recent Picture wet = http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9366/imag0023es0.jpg

One thing I do find curious is that my hair never sheds without being touched, I only make this point because I hear hair on the pillow being what alerts people to their hair loss.

I'm obviously pretty distraught as I always enjoyed having thick hair, luckily this had stopped the problem from being too noticeable just yet. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to reverse the process? My grandfather on my mothers side, which I was told was relevant, still has a head full of hair albeit silver.

This is not the first issue i've had with my hair, a couple of years ago I started going gray also, a few hairs but I chose to dye my hair black in that case using Just for Men, I had used it twice over the course of 6 months before the hair loss started. But the graying strangely has subsided recently I think.

Now i'm aware circumstances are very important for determining whether this is simply bad genes and bad luck so I will try to give as much helpful information as I can.

I am a student studying Medicine and had a very stressful exam experience in May of this year, where I pulled alot of all nighters and was extremely worried about failing. Although that stress is lifted now I am told it can take months for hair loss resultant from stress to appear, I do not have the best diet, mostly fast food for a year now due to the college lifestyle and due to the recent hairloss I have begun taking vit C supplements and intend to buy some multivitamins/minerals tommorow in fact. I also have dandruff, begining to wonder if I wasn't meant to have good hair, and it became worse over the last year or so I think.

This is also compounded with the fact I am travelling at the moment and having to watch my hair thickness decline over the last few weeks through photos has been painful to say the least. Any and all advice, and questions ar

I'm in med school as well. It can be quite stressful. I've seen more hairfall this year and my sr year of college than any year prior.

Best of luck with your fight. I suggest propecia if you're not on it yet and are sure you suffer from male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia).

ThinCity

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I am pretty sure it is male pattern baldness now, turns out my good old dad went bald pretty quick and same for his two brothers. One final question, probably psychological but does anyone else with male pattern baldness get itchy scalp?