Think it's time to leave finasteride - my experience

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've given finasteride a try 2-3 times. The longest stint was 8 months and I managed to maintain or slightly improve my hair in that time on 0.5mg/day.

The problem however is the sides I suffered. While on finasteride, within a few hours from the first pill I'd develop a tight throat as if I had a lump in there. This varied in effect a little but it was constantly uncomfortable. I stayed on for 8 months to see if the effects would clear up or if it was caused by increased stress (went through hard Uni term, moved in with gf etc).

The tightness didn't improve, however it always subsides within a few days after stopping the pill. I've tried different doses, 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg with the result being the same.

After reading about, it doesn't seem common at all but i'm not the only one with this issue and it could be down to thyroid changes. I'm leaning toward this idea being true because I certainly feel slightly more anxious on the drug and a bit more emotionally blunt.

Another effect I've had on the drug is lowered body temperature and different reaction to alcohol. I've read up on similar stories on this too and put it down to a change in liver function. I used to always be a very warm guy, able to sit around in t-shirts in the winter etc. and while on finasteride I've been feeling cold while being wrapped up inside. This is a definite change from finasteride yet I found it quite tolerable as I often found it annoying being hot previously.

Being a student, I obviously had a close relationship to alcohol. Since taking finasteride, I've felt different when drinking - just feeling a bit less conscious rather than drunk, it's hard to explain. I've also woken up after with a sore liver which certainly didn't happen before. I do drink less now though out of losing interest.

Red hands - I'm not sure what caused this but this is a definite change while on finasteride - my hands will be red and clearly a different color from my forearm, which was strange.

As stated above, I'm a bit more emotionally numb while on finasteride and more often feel down. My libido is also a little bit lower and my penis sensitivity is a bit lower. I've certainly noticed the change while off finasteride.

That's my experiences on finasteride. This is not a thread to bash finasteride - I think it's generally a good solution and I'm jealous of those who get less prevalent sides than I did.

Personally, I've decided it's not worth constantly feeling like my throat is swollen, the emotional numbness and cold temperature. Along with this, most importantly, I don't know if these symptoms are a sign that it could be doing actual damage to my body.

Sadly, i'm going to resort to minoxidil only in hopes to maintain or at least slow down any future loss. Thanks for reading.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
At least you tried, don't quit yet in treating hair with just minoxidil though. Look into RU any of the other experimentals.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone getting these sides. Sure it's not all in your head? Sounds so like you might be drawing conclusions when it could be multiple things causing a tighter throat, or liver issues.....

Are these listed as possible sides from the drug officially? Or are you solely basing it off people who claimed it did the same thing.

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone getting these sides. Sure it's not all in your head? Sounds so like you might be drawing conclusions when it could be multiple things causing a tighter throat, or liver issues.....

Are these listed as possible sides from the drug officially? Or are you solely basing it off people who claimed it did the same thing.

I've tried the drug multiple times in very good mindsets and the effects are 100% not in my head. The drug is known to be able to affect the liver function and supposedly rarely the thyroid.

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what your saying is the results are not worth the risk matey?

Personally not for me since I was constantly uncomfortable - mainly from the throat. For most though it's definitely worth a try and I'm glad I did.

In the future I may even resume if my male pattern baldness continues much more as it may outweigh the cons when it comes to that.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Like the other poster said, at least you tried. Getting on finasteride was basically giving it your all, and it sucks that it didn't work out for you, but what else can you possibly do? I'm also considering getting off finasteride, for different reasons, but I know I gave it my best shot.

preamble

Reaction score
What do you mean by a "tight throat"?

I keep getting a sore throat, like from heartburn, after taking finasteride (generic, made by Aurobindo Pharma, 5mg pill cut into fourths), and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.