Thinking about quitting propecia, please encourage me not to

smallz

Reaction score
I am only 20 , have been on propecia since mid january 2004. My hairline wasnt terrible then, although there was thinning there. My crown had considerable thinning. All the signs, my age and early in the hair loss process, pointed to me being a good reactor. However, after about 8 months, my hair has not even slowed down. I even had osme of the sexual side effetcs early on which meant i thoght I would be a responder. Should I quit propecia? Or has anyone in my boat experienced results between 8 months and a year? Thanks for all your help, goo dluck in your own battles with hair loss

bombscience

Reaction score
The worst thing you can do right now is quit. You have already probably slowed down your hairloss without realizing it, even if you can' see it. Most people notice their results between months 9-15 so quitting now is almost as good as not taking the drug to begin with.

G

don't quit :freaked:

I am one year in and am noticing a brand new flurish of vellus growth beneath the terminal hairs. You may be a slow responder.[/b]

smallz

Reaction score
thanks a lot

thanks fellas, always helps to hear encouragement. I guess youre right, if for no othe reason, after sinking money into it, I owe it to myslef to wait it out for atleast a year. thnaks again

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another thing to realize is that you are far more hard on yourself AFTER you realize, or even so much as THINK, that you are losing your hair. You put a lot more thought and weight into losing even one single hair, whereas before you probably didn't think twice about it.

That said, there is a chance that propecia is doing a much better job than what you think or give it credit for.

Don't quit. Wait it out for 2 years, and then decide. But even so, Bomb is right- it might not be helping you as much as you want it to, but it is likely at least slowing down your hair loss. So it is better than not taking it.

supernova

Established Member
Reaction score
If you wanna be bald, then quit.

Stick with it. The statistics favor you in the long run.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
Im pretty much in the same boat as Smallz.. and I too am thinking about quitting... I started back in Feb instead, but my hair's thinned out considerably.. Infact I *know* that since starting on finasteride my hair's thinned out at a faster rate then when i wasn't before.
Most people notice their results between months 9-15

I thought most people saw results on month 6?
and that it is up to 9-15 month for *max* results

I am one year in and am noticing a brand new flurish of vellus growth beneath the terminal hairs. You may be a slow responder

Did you notice any turn around? or slow down in hairloss during that time? Or just now after a whole year you finally saw some sign that finasteride is working?

Cause up to now I have yet to see *any* sign that finasteride works except that I shedded for 3 months straight which ended back in June and since then my hair never recovered and my hair has gotten thinner and thinner since.. thinning in new areas that was never thin before!

Please!! help me... I really want to think that finasteride's working..
But based on all the posts i've read.. this shouldn't be happening