Thinking About Starting The Big 3 - Need Your Opinions

langthaar31

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am 22 years old with a NW2. I got very long healthy hair exept in my temple region which is thinning. It started thinning when i was 17 and i have been inbetween Norwood 1.5 and Norwood 2 the last 3 years. In my family hairloss reaches a maximum of Norwood 2.5 and with no thinning in the crown area.

Recently i have been inspired by the succsess section on the forum and i really want to try to jump on the big 3 as i think i will be able to thicken up my current hairline and maybe regrow recent lost hair.

BUT! I got really long wavy surfer hair wich is so long it almost reaches my nipples so my questions are:

1. How much do you usualy loose during a minoxidil and finasteride shed? Will it be bearable to keep my hairstyle or should i cut my hair?(which i really dont want to do!)

2. Do you think i should wait for other options like Brotzu, Histogen or Shisedo?

3. Have anyone ever had any succsess with Natural treatments, like diet change or natural oils and supplements?

4. How likely is it that i thicken up and stop the hairloss or even regrow some of my lost hair?

5. Which treatment should i start on first? nizoral, minoxidil or finasteride? And should i cycle it so my body dont get recilient to it?

Thank you!

Edit: I should also say that my hairloss increased when i used Isotretinoin when i was 18 and 20.

Last edited:

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Everyone is different. The hairs you shed are miniaturized hairs, so if most of your hair is pretty thick and strong you should be good.

2. I would not wait. These treatments will probably be released much later than previously expected. Developing a hair loss treatment takes a lot of time. Also I don't really have much faith in the new treatments. There are new treatments every year and they have always been a disappointment. The only treatments that really work are finasteride and minoxidil, and they have been around for decades. Shows how far we are really getting in treating hair loss.

3. Natural treatments don't work

4. I think it is somewhere close to 90% chance it will stop your hair loss for the next 5 years (finasteride). Personally it didn't stop mine, but I think I was just unlucky. There is also a pretty decent chance that you will regrow hair, but don't get your hopes up too much. Completely bald areas it is very unlikely to regrow hair but still possible. Minoxidil is more likely to regrow hair but doesn't work for over 50% of people.

5. I would start on finasteride for 6 months and see how you react. If you are not happy with your current hair then you could start on both finasteride and minoxidil. Personally I would wait on minoxidil and see how you react to finasteride though, because minoxidil is much more of a pain to use consistently, and has a high chance of not working. This way you can tell if the minoxidil is actually doing anything. Nizoral: up to you. Doesn't do nearly as much as finasteride or minoxidil. Not even sure if it does anything, but some people say it does so go for it if you want.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Everyone is different. The hairs you shed are miniaturized hairs, so if most of your hair is pretty thick and strong you should be good.

2. I would not wait. These treatments will probably be released much later than previously expected. Developing a hair loss treatment takes a lot of time. Also I don't really have much faith in the new treatments. There are new treatments every year and they have always been a disappointment. The only treatments that really work are finasteride and minoxidil, and they have been around for decades. Shows how far we are really getting in treating hair loss.

3. Natural treatments don't work

4. I think it is somewhere close to 90% chance it will stop your hair loss for the next 5 years (finasteride). Personally it didn't stop mine, but I think I was just unlucky. There is also a pretty decent chance that you will regrow hair, but don't get your hopes up too much. Completely bald areas it is very unlikely to regrow hair but still possible. Minoxidil is more likely to regrow hair but doesn't work for over 50% of people.

5. I would start on finasteride for 6 months and see how you react. If you are not happy with your current hair then you could start on both finasteride and minoxidil. Personally I would wait on minoxidil and see how you react to finasteride though, because minoxidil is much more of a pain to use consistently, and has a high chance of not working. This way you can tell if the minoxidil is actually doing anything. Nizoral: up to you. Doesn't do nearly as much as finasteride or minoxidil. Not even sure if it does anything, but some people say it does so go for it if you want.
There's not much to ad. You saved me alot of writing. Lol ill add one thing, minoxidil can cause a pretty noticeable shed in some cases and with super long hair that could be a bit traumatizing. I second dralex's advice Do finasteride for 6-9 months alone then re evaluate if you should add rogaine(Minoxidil). Also dont read horror stories about propecia online. Just take it and try and live your life as most dont have side effects at all, if you Do for some reason they will go away with discontinuation, also nizoral, i agree again W/ dralex if you Do choose to use it, only use it 2x a week max. good luck man and rock that rad surfer hair!!

langthaar31

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thank you guys so much for the feedback! :D

I am currently on a student exchance program untill early january but will definetly get on finasteride when i get home! I just bought some saw palmetto and will be superdosing it, probably wont do anything but i cant get myself to a dermatologist as i leave the country to go surfing in asia in only two weeks.

I really wanted to try minoxidil foam as i can get it without prescription, but as you guys said i should probably try finasteride first.

Again thank you guys for the feedback! I will be updating asap i start a real treatment! I am also crossing my fingers that Brotzu lotion is released or a releasedate is given when i come home (if it turns out to work)!

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey no problem man, be careful not to go nuts with the saw palmetto though id say don't take much more than 400mg daily. If you can, try and get some that uses the co2 extraction process. It'll say on the bottle. SP will help until you can get on finasteride. And yeah i would hold off on the minoxidil if you can and see how finasteride works for you first

langthaar31

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for some great advise!

Could i get some opinions on how bad my situation is? As you guys can see i got completly bald temples and whats left is thinning really bad as you can see in the photos. So what can i expect if i jump on the big 3 in the end of january(can do it atm)? Started saw palmetto(12 october) btw and i feel like i have been shedding bad the last couple of days...anyways i am still not sure if i should go on the big 3 or wait for Brotzu lotion, because if the Brotzu lotion works hopefully i can have some regrowth or atleast maintainance with it. And btw most of my miniturized hair grow as long as my normal hair so maybe minoxidil would work good?

Cheers

IMG_1828.PNG IMG_1829.PNG IMG_1830.PNG

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for some great advise!

Could i get some opinions on how bad my situation is? As you guys can see i got completly bald temples and whats left is thinning really bad as you can see in the photos. So what can i expect if i jump on the big 3 in the end of january(can do it atm)? Started saw palmetto(12 october) btw and i feel like i have been shedding bad the last couple of days...anyways i am still not sure if i should go on the big 3 or wait for Brotzu lotion, because if the Brotzu lotion works hopefully i can have some regrowth or atleast maintainance with it. And btw most of my miniturized hair grow as long as my normal hair so maybe minoxidil would work good?

Cheers

View attachment 44574 View attachment 44575 View attachment 44576

i dont think you should wait there are no guarantees if it works or when its going to be available.
You can always switch later.
maybe start these treatments conservatively and build up (i dont know the oral meds dosage etc)