Thinking of getting a hair transplant or Shaving

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am considering getting a hair transplant - I am 32 and NW2 dffuse thinner all over crown. I have been using minoxidil, nizoral and topical spironolactone for 10 years and they have now stopped working. I have also tried finasteride and dutasteride for years but they did not stop loss and alos resulted in extensive side-effects including gyno. My question to you is this: If I were to get a hair transplant, and am unable to maintain using the big three treatments (which I am sure is the case)....is the transplant even worth it? In other words do you HAVE TO us the big 3 and/or dutasteride to maintain the results of the hair transplant?

Viper

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys have transplants who don't take meds, the only problem with this is as your hairloss progresses you may need to have more transplants to fill in the areas that you lose after a transplant, the only problem being you have a limited donor supply, the idea of taking finasteride or dutasteride is to try to hold on to what you have for as long as possible.

Try buzzing your hair to see how it looks, if you don't like it then email some photos to reputable clinics for thier opinion.

Lucky

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
vipergts said:
Hi Folks,

I am considering getting a hair transplant - I am 32 and NW2 dffuse thinner all over crown. I have been using minoxidil, nizoral and topical spironolactone for 10 years and they have now stopped working. I have also tried finasteride and dutasteride for years but they did not stop loss and alos resulted in extensive side-effects including gyno. My question to you is this: If I were to get a hair transplant, and am unable to maintain using the big three treatments (which I am sure is the case)....is the transplant even worth it? In other words do you HAVE TO us the big 3 and/or dutasteride to maintain the results of the hair transplant?

Viper
Viper, I have read that you do not have to take Propecia for a hair transplant but your chances of shockloss is higher if you don't. If you don't have a lot of miniaturization in your areas you still have left then I would consider a hair transplant. You seem to be very unhappy about your hair situation so I think looking into a hair transplant would not be a bad idea. Of course your are going to have to shave your hair anyway if you get a FUE hair transplant. The thought of me having to shave my hair for a hair transplant would be scary since I probably would look terrible with a shaved head. I am curious has anyone commented about your hair loss. If not, then wait until people start commenting before you get one unless you are just so unhappy. I would definitely go for some consultations just to see what options you have. See if you are a good candidate at your age to get one. I would get consultations from Feller, H&W, and from Rahal. If I ever get a transplant it will be either Feller or Rahal, but most likely Feller. I am curious, if you were 10 years older than you are now with the same amount of hair you currently have, what would do and how would you feel? Do you have any photos of your present situation? I will give you my honest opinion if you want.

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
As always thanks for the insightful reply Doctor. TO be honest, hairloss does not bother me personally but certainly impacts my confidence when I am around people. I have a very people oriented job and hang around clients and consultants all day. I also present at nationwide corporate venues quite frequently. So the whole thing makes me very insecure around people who have known me for years (starting the time I was a thick NW1 with hair to spare for all the NW7's on this website). Anyways, I want to get over this hairloss thing once and for all - be it thru shaving or transplant - the former option is very difficult mentally since I will not "blend in" with the prevailing conservative white collar, thick NW1 corporate culture. Doesn't help that that I am surrounded by people who have better hair than mine. Anyway I am kind of between a rock and a hard place. What bothers me the most is that facts that the treatments failed so miserably for me....and all I wanted was just maintenence. Trust me I tried everything from half a dozen types of minoxidils to stopping masturbation (yeah I was that desperate). I put too much blind faith in these treatments and they just kept on letting me down. I really envy those casual propecia users who get outstanding results from just that one treatment - I wish I could have responded like them. Any how at least I am glad I am off of finasteride and dutasteride - I do believe that altering your body chemistry for something cosmetic like hairloss could not possibly come without some sort of price. While I was on finasteride I had all the common side effects including sexual ones and gyno. I continued it for a year inspite of the sides but ended up getting negative results.

I *can* get away with parting my hair on the side or by using a bit of Topik or derm match but I don't want to go that route at all simply because I don't like hiding the obvious. I have thought about posting pics here for a long time but I know for fact that I have friends and a few relatives who browse this site and may even post here, so I'd rather not take any chances - the internet has a long memory ;-)
I guess if I were in my late 30s or early 40s I would still be worried losing hair but probably not to this extent. I guess it depends upon what you do for a living and also your marital status. If I were married to a hottie, working from home as a telecommuter and had a small network of friends, I would not really care as much....but reality is quite the opposite. To be honest I just want to be happy again, like I used to be.
Doctor, how old are you and what's your situation? I read you were in pretty good shape, hair wise? What is your contigency plan in case things take a turn for the worst (God forbid).

Viper

DoctorHouse said:
vipergts said:
Hi Folks,

Viper
Viper, I have read that you do not have to take Propecia for a hair transplant but your chances of shockloss is higher if you don't. If you don't have a lot of miniaturization in your areas you still have left then I would consider a hair transplant. You seem to be very unhappy about your hair situation so I think looking into a hair transplant would not be a bad idea. Of course your are going to have to shave your hair anyway if you get a FUE hair transplant. The thought of me having to shave my hair for a hair transplant would be scary since I probably would look terrible with a shaved head. I am curious has anyone commented about your hair loss. If not, then wait until people start commenting before you get one unless you are just so unhappy. I would definitely go for some consultations just to see what options you have. See if you are a good candidate at your age to get one. I would get consultations from Feller, H&W, and from Rahal. If I ever get a transplant it will be either Feller or Rahal, but most likely Feller. I am curious, if you were 10 years older than you are now with the same amount of hair you currently have, what would do and how would you feel? Do you have any photos of your present situation? I will give you my honest opinion if you want.