Thinking of Propecia after a long fight

Jonny Q

Reaction score
Hello all,
As the the school girl said to the paper boy, this is my first time and I'm a little unsure!
I'm now 37 years young and have been fighting a long battle of hair loss since prob my mid twenties and hear is my storey to date.
In the early part of this battle not much was done except for mass panic due to lack of cash!. As time went on, the arrival of Regain planted some hope, and was used off and on as I could, My hair used to be real thick and the main thing I noticed was a receeding hairline which didn't realy concern me too much. As time went on the hair got thinner overall along with more thining at the front and later the crown. The regain never really stopped the hair from falling out, just reduced it and I think helped to maintain it, but if I did stop using it for any length of time, I would notice increased fall and loss, so the on of battle continued. A year or so ago I got fed up with the twice daily application of the regain, plus the fact that it never really stopped the loss I though F@*/ it lets stop and see what happened. After being off the stuff for about a month one of my bald mates commented that my crown was going quite thin, Thanks!. So I got onto the internet and made it my mission to search for any other cures and start a new plan of action. This is when I came across the likes of Propecia, finasteride etc and others such as Provillus. After some research my plan of action was a combination of the follwing supplements - Saw Palmeto, Zinc, B6, magnesium, Biotin, Choline, Inositol and a Wellman multi Vit, I also went back on the regain extra strength. Over the next 3-4 weeks I noticed that the hair loss slowed until it came to as good as a stop, the hair itself also seemed thicker, and I felt that there was new growth going on as it felt thicker on my head, all was good with the world and I felt great. This was in the January - February, a couple of months later I also started weigth training and introduced Creatine. It all went down hill! I started losing hair in a big way, I don't Know if it was the creatine or even if it had stared before I took the creatine as I had stopped studying my hair as much, but the loss was very noticeable. I stopped with the Creatine and training, and since then the hairloss has gone back to its original speed and state and I am now the thinest on top that I have ever been.
I have read the good and the bad stories on hear about Propecia, and would be able to get it through the Boots hair retention programme, anyone used this in the UK?
I would appreciate any thoughts of you out there with regard to the propecia or my original routine or any advice you might have.
Thanks alot and keep fighting, it aint over till its over

Fabio_08

Reaction score
My body didn't take to creatine well at all either. Within 3 months my hair has shed all over, and the only thing that coincides with it is my 2monnth use of creatine. Im still waiting to see if it will grow back! I just stopped shedding last week :S

My GP told me Creatine has done some weird stuff to people!

Jonny Q

Reaction score
Thanks for your note fabio,
are you using anything else instead of creatine now with less inpact on the hair? such as a protien mix? I understand that Protien plays an important role in hair growth.

aussie

Reaction score
Id like to know if taking a protein supplement would be of any benefit aswell eg. Dymatize Elite Whey powder

Shiner1

Reaction score
Be Careful. I took Propecia for a couple years. It crushed my sex drive. I am married, and 40, and my wife's drive is much lower than mine, so that was OK, maybe even good. BUT, I started having anxiety/depression type symptoms, and felt very 'OFF'. It just got worse and worse, until I read a post on here by a guy who had all the same things happen to him as I was experiencing, including very specific things not mentioned here. I stopped immediately, and slowly things have returned to normal.

Look, we all are devastated by losing our hair, and looking older than we feel. I understand that, If I didn't I wouldn't be on here looking for the next cure. :) But to take something every day that can and will cause some harm to yourself is just not worth it.

I believe the stuff works, a LITTLE. You're not going to take six months of this stuff or a year, and look like you did when you were 25...or even 30.

There are safer alternatives. Good luck, and again---BE CAREFUL

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Shiner1 said:
Be Careful. I took Propecia for a couple years. It crushed my sex drive. I am married, and 40, and my wife's drive is much lower than mine, so that was OK, maybe even good. BUT, I started having anxiety/depression type symptoms, and felt very 'OFF'. It just got worse and worse, until I read a post on here by a guy who had all the same things happen to him as I was experiencing, including very specific things not mentioned here. I stopped immediately, and slowly things have returned to normal.

Look, we all are devastated by losing our hair, and looking older than we feel. I understand that, If I didn't I wouldn't be on here looking for the next cure. :) But to take something every day that can and will cause some harm to yourself is just not worth it.

I believe the stuff works, a LITTLE. You're not going to take six months of this stuff or a year, and look like you did when you were 25...or even 30.

There are safer alternatives. Good luck, and again---BE CAREFUL

How long were you on Propecia?