THinking of quitting , is it going to do more harm than good

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
HI , i have been shedding alot on the hairline ever since started propecia? is this thing ever going to work ?? i am thinkning of quitting it because my hairline has gone so far back in such a short time that i think i am going to be bald in another 5 years! That is impossible because there is no close relative that shows that kind of aggressive hairloss !

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I think about quitting everyday. I would consult with a doctor before you quit.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Yeah my hairline is so thin and weak its just pathetic. finasteride does a GREAT job of maintaining mid scalp, donor, crown regions. Although I still have a small thin spot on the crown. But those parts are so thick compared to my hairline its almost comical. I really believe its the extra testosterone created by the finasteride that damages hairlines. I dont think my hairline would be as bad if I was off it, but the rest of my hair would be GONE. Its a catch 22.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Metalheaddude, do you have a photo of your hair to post so I can see what you are talking about? Same question for you Nicholas?

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, While I was on it, most of my loss in the scalp area came from itching. It did maintain hair that I have since lost after quitting it, The hair it did maintain was very thin and strawish, but it continued to grow, and gave the illusion of less hairloss then I really had, After getting off it, all that fell out, the temples started thinning and I went up at least a .5 in the norwood scale in about 3 months.

I don't think quitting propecia is going to help your hairline..it sure as hell didn't help mine.

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
how did you quit ? did you quit slowly or straight off? I am afraid if keep clinging on propecia , my hairloss would be worse !

so how is your hair now after quitting it? does it still shed like when you are on propecia or is the hair loss process slwoer?

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
When you are on propeica, do you feel the soreness in your scalp especially the temple area? i feel that most of the time. If you lost hair on your temple while on propecia, will you be able to get it back ?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
There is no WAY im stopping propecia now im to scared! Ive been on it for 5 years! Who knows what the hell could happen if I quit now. Besides im interested in a hair transplant to restore my hairline.

Believe it or not propecia side effects disapear after 3-4 years. The body just learns to deal with them. However I still have one major one. The first two years on finasteride is hell though.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
how did you quit ? did you quit slowly or straight off? I am afraid if keep clinging on propecia , my hairloss would be worse !

so how is your hair now after quitting it? does it still shed like when you are on propecia or is the hair loss process slwoer?

I gradually lowered the dosage, I was taking .5 to begin with, then started cutting them into halves and quarters, Hoping that would curb the sides, which it didn't, This process lasted about 2 months, going from full pills to quarters, then being off it entirely.

Hair is terrible, It's receded or thinned in every area which was becoming strengthened while on propecia, I would predict that If I never got back on propecia, based on my current rate of loss, that I would be an nw5 by 24.

As for shedding before and after, I never experienced much shedding, aside from self inflicted loss from itching, My hairloss rate has at least tripled since being off it.

Balth06

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Believe it or not propecia side effects disapear after 3-4 years. The body just learns to deal with them.

Its so funny how you just make sh*t up.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Balth06 said:
metalheaddude said:
Believe it or not propecia side effects disapear after 3-4 years. The body just learns to deal with them.

Its so funny how you just make s*** up.

Ive been on finasteride for 5 years! So how do you explain my reduced side effects then?

Just magically disapear did they? :shakehead:

Sick of these amatuer newbies thinking they know everything :shakehead:

Balth06

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:

retard, I've been a member since Sat Dec 09, 2006. Longer than you. so...yea :smack:

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:

So now you know how some of us feel when we read your posts.