Thinking Of Switching From Finasteride To Dutasteride

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been taking finasteride for 5 years.
It may have slowed things down but, as of yet, I haven't seen any regrowth.

I'm thinking of switching to dutasteride (assuming that I can get a prescription).
Just wondering if anyone has an experience of switching from the one to the other
and, if so, what was the outcome? Did things improve, stay the same, or get worse?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been taking finasteride for 5 years.
It may have slowed things down but, as of yet, I haven't seen any regrowth.

I'm thinking of switching to dutasteride (assuming that I can get a prescription).
Just wondering if anyone has an experience of switching from the one to the other
and, if so, what was the outcome? Did things improve, stay the same, or get worse?

Please let me know. Thanks.

I'm doing this as well. I feel finasteride has worn its effects after 3 years on me. I begin dust next week, I believe inflammation plays a huge part in hairloss and I'm trying to reduce this now. Are you stopping finasteride completely and jumping into dust or tapering into it? I think everyone's different so it's hard for anyone to say if your experience will be better, worse or the same. You'll shed that's for sure.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you stopping finasteride completely and jumping into dust or tapering into it?
Not sure. Hadn't got that far yet. How are going transition from one to the other?
You'll shed that's for sure.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Finasteride may not have restored any hairs, but it has still helped me out. I'm worried that I may end up worse off by switching.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Finasteride may not have restored any hairs, but it has still helped me out. I'm worried that I may end up worse off by switching.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you try minoxidil with derma-roller before deciding on the switch? Your blocking dht using finasteride I'd say the fact you've slowed your hairloss down or even stopped it for now is finasteride doing it's job. Any regrow on finasteride is a bonus. While minoxidil and derma-rolling may be benifical
For you as it simulates the hair folicals and promotes growth from those dormant/dying hair folicals. I'm sure one of the more educated guys will give you better advice.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you try minoxidil with derma-roller
Yeah, I was thinking of Minoxidil, but I heard it only works for the crown. My main issue is the temples. Still, I might give it a go.

promotes growth from those dormant/dying hair folicals
That's what I really need.
I still have quite a few little hairs in the region, but it's like they've given up growing, and are stuck in suspended animation.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of Minoxidil, but I heard it only works for the crown. My main issue is the temples. Still, I might give it a go.

That's what I really need.
I still have quite a few little hairs in the region, but it's like they've given up growing, and are stuck in suspended animation.

They only done clinical trials on the crown, there is absolutely no reason it would work in one half of the scalp and not the other. i "wouldn't might give it a go" I'd definitely add it to your hairloss regime. Foam is easier to use.

ljb118

Reaction score
In the same boat. Been on finasteride 4 years, feels like effects are slowing down.

What Rysteve suggested is the next best step. Incorporate minoxidil plus derma-rolling and assess in 6 months.

Foam is better than liquid. If you have longer hair (where foam is typically harder to apply), try Lipogaine's sensitive formula if you're prone to irritation.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the same boat. Been on finasteride 4 years, feels like effects are slowing down.

What Rysteve suggested is the next best step. Incorporate minoxidil plus derma-rolling and assess in 6 months.

Foam is better than liquid. If you have longer hair (where foam is typically harder to apply), try Lipogaine's sensitive formula if you're prone to irritation.

How did finasteride work for you? Maintenance or maintenance and regrowth?

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will do.
Just curious, has anyone had any success in the temple region?
I heard it's the hardest area to regrow.

If you've still got miniaturised hair in the area it's definitely possible. Yes you'll probably find a few on this forum.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had maintenance and regrowth with Finasteride for 4 years, then hair started thinning again.

Made the switch to Dutasteride two weeks ago. Let’s see if it helps. My hairline is getting really bad! :(

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Impressive results.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Can someone enlighten me: is dutasteride simply a stonger version of finasteride, or is it a completely different mechanism?

It inhibits about 30% more DHT than finasteride, but also affects different 5ar enzymes so side effects are more pronounced. Brain fog, depression, anxiety, loss of libido etc etc.

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i made the switch to duta just over a month ago. taking 0.5mg EOD and on the other day im taking finasteride. I will probably drop the finasteride in a few months. i have noticed i dont have an itch and crawling feeling with my hair now

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
so side effects are more pronounced
Before I went on finasteride, I worried about side effects. Probably lost a couple of months because of it. Eventually the thought of losing my hair worried me more than the thought of side effects, so I started taking it.

I suspect something similar will happen here. I'll worry about it for a bit. Then, one day, the sight of my defoliated noggin will push me into action.

ljb118

Reaction score
How did finasteride work for you? Maintenance or maintenance and regrowth?

Maintained for 3-3.5 years, my hair is thinning on top now although hairline isn't receding whatsoever. I caught it early so regrowth was never on my mind as I didn't need it. Stupid me forgot all about hairloss until the thinning had set in for a fair few months.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been reading some positive stuff online about dutasteride, but I'm wondering:
has anyone out there made the switch from finasteride to dutasteride and regretted the decision?

I'm a little worried about dumping the finasteride since, as far as I can tell, it's still doing its job of maintaining (touch wood).
But, at the same time, I've been waiting and hoping for regrowth (in vain) for 5 years now.