Thinman2's Story - ( 30 /Fighting thinning in the UK)

thinman2

Reaction score
Hi just thought I would add my story here and get some opinions. Im 30, living in Birmingham England. I have been thinning for a long time, maybe as far back as when I was 18 but its been a very slow process and my hair style has hidden it from other people and myself. I have only recently noticed (under direct light) that its getting very thin on top so I decided to see if i could do something about it. I have had one or two comments from people saying I was starting to get thin, but I remember my mum telling me I would be bald before I was 25 when I was about 21 sitting around the dinner table under a low bright light. So its obvioulsly been fairly thin for a long time. Despite what my mum said I havent become bald yet but I think its only a few years away if I didnt do anything about it.

I have gone on the Boots hair retention program, its run from major boots stalls in the UK and offers 3 months of Propecia without the need to see a doctor for £90. This seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. The lady took photos of my hair gave me some information and gave me the drug.

She told me that of the 50 to 70 people in the Birmingham (Englands second biggest city) area on the program none had reported side affects and nearly all had seen positive results. Definately sounds like its worth a try. She said the only people that had come off it were the ones with concerns about its cost.

I just wanted to tell others in england that this has got to be the best place to get propecia from I think all boots in Major cities do it. Has to be safer than ordering online.

Been on it a week, no side effects as yet (touch wood), also on Regaine (Rogaine) and use Boots own brand version of Nizoral which has the same active ingrediant. Hopefully this works for me.

A.Benoit

Reaction score
Re: Fighting thinning in the UK

Hi,

I'm a fellow midlander too (Coventry).

I've been taking finasteride for a month now, but I think the Boots offer is pretty expensive when you can get a months supply for around £7.50!

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/custome ... ring=finax

You can also get Nizoral for as little as £6 per bottle from Reach Pharmacy online. What's the name of the boots version of Nizoral?

Adam

ali777

Reaction score

thinman2 said:
She told me that of the 50 to 70 people in the Birmingham (Englands second biggest city) area on the program none had reported side affects and nearly all had seen positive results. Definately sounds like its worth a try. She said the only people that had come off it were the ones with concerns about its cost.

I'm really surprised with those numbers. As you said, it's the second biggest city in the UK (Mancunians will object this) and finasteride has been around for about 10 years. In those 10 years, I'd expect more people to be on it.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

If you stay on this forum, you will start getting side effects with Propecia. I would advise you Regaine and Nizoral.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

For almost the same cost I can get 16 months supply of finasteride, boots are profiteering out of your hairloss

thinman2

Reaction score

Hi again, I have my check up appointment this week as my first month is up. They just check your dont have any side affects and give u some more. I guess it is expensive compared to the none propecia ones but I was really worried about if they could be trusted. I do wonder though why Boots dont sell their own version of it like they do with the Nizol. I will ask them about about the figures. I think its because not many people have heard of the program they are running.

thinman2

Reaction score

The name of the Boots shampoo I cant recall, I think it may have just been - the active ingrediant (insert name i forgot here) Dandruf shampoo. Still no problems, minor dull ache in the balls (in my head???) for the first few days but fine now.

ali777

Reaction score

thinman2 said:
Hi again, I have my check up appointment this week as my first month is up. They just check your dont have any side affects and give u some more. I guess it is expensive compared to the none propecia ones but I was really worried about if they could be trusted. I do wonder though why Boots dont sell their own version of it like they do with the Nizol. I will ask them about about the figures. I think its because not many people have heard of the program they are running.

Finestride is a patented medicine. The reason why in the west it is only available under the Merck brand name is to protect the patent laws. In India they have slightly different patent laws, so Cilpa can produce it without paying any royalties to Merck.

boots can only sell you what is legal in the UK, and that is propecia.

scouse

Reaction score

thinman2 said:
Hi just thought I would add my story here and get some opinions. Im 30, living in Birmingham England. I have been thinning for a long time, maybe as far back as when I was 18 but its been a very slow process and my hair style has hidden it from other people and myself. I have only recently noticed (under direct light) that its getting very thin on top so I decided to see if i could do something about it. I have had one or two comments from people saying I was starting to get thin, but I remember my mum telling me I would be bald before I was 25 when I was about 21 sitting around the dinner table under a low bright light. So its obvioulsly been fairly thin for a long time. Despite what my mum said I havent become bald yet but I think its only a few years away if I didnt do anything about it.

I have gone on the Boots hair retention program, its run from major boots stalls in the UK and offers 3 months of Propecia without the need to see a doctor for £90. This seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. The lady took photos of my hair gave me some information and gave me the drug.

I just wanted to tell others in england that this has got to be the best place to get propecia from I think all boots in Major cities do it. Has to be safer than ordering online.

Been on it a week, no side effects as yet (touch wood), also on Regaine (Rogaine) and use Boots own brand version of Nizoral which has the same active ingrediant. Hopefully this works for me.

Hi Thinman
Just wanted to post to say I am in a very similar situation to u, I am very fair haired and from the age of around 17 I have been very conscious of thin hair. I have plenty of hair its just a bit see through in strong lights! Anyway I went on the Boots program 9 months ago, I have had a bit of improvement, regained a little density. I really wish I had gone on it earlier!

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score

Pretty much the same story myself, noticed hair was thinning around early 20s and even at 25 my mum came up to me once I was typing away on my pc and and fondeled thru my hair only to say your going bald early like your dad....

Happy times....

about 29 I noticed it got worser and more harder to hide my hair loss so even parting my hair became worser... but anyhow at 30 decided to start the treatments on the big 3.

I would advice u just google and check around I got regoin foam 4 month pack for like 40-50 quid, and also nizoral shampoo for about 25 quid 3 pack, and finasteride 6 month tabs for like 50 quid... sure the lot cost me 120-130 quid for 6 months but for £250ish per year its well worth it.

Hopefully by month 3-4 I notice some better hair !

thinman2

Reaction score
Re: thinman2's story - (Fighting thinning in the UK)

3 Month update..........

Been on Propecia for 3 months now , no side effects, no shedding. Cant see any noticable change but I think there is less hair in my hands when I wash it. So i think its having a positive effect. So far I am upbeat. At least I am doing everything i can about the problem.

Just wanted to say I have had no side effects as I was so worried about it when I started.

I am using minoxidil every night and some mornings.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score

Does Boots still do the program?

I remember seeing a leaflet for the hair retention program a few months ago but see nothing on their website....

Apart from the cost, is their general attitute/client care/make you feel in safe hands making it worth it?

fadgus

Reaction score

Fanjeera said:
If you stay on this forum, you will start getting side effects with Propecia. I would advise you Regaine and Nizoral.

I don't know why, but I loled at this so hard!!! :woot:

thinman2

Reaction score

I think its getting better slightly. I cant see my scalp in the mirror anymore at work. There is no hair at all in my hands after I wash it and I dont see any on my pillows. Also I dont know if this means anything but it feels like I have lots of small hairs growning in amoungst my existing ones. Not sure if this is normal as never really felt for it before but its as if im pressing on small shaved hairs, there seems quite a lot... Still a bit thin on the crown when I look at photos.... but Im still possitive. No side effects at all.

thinman2

Reaction score

Apart from the cost, is their general attitute/client care/make you feel in safe hands making it worth it?

I am not sure what to say about this, its been fine with one exception. What annoys me is there is only one chemist qualified (they have to do a course apparently) to dispense the propecia. This means your a bit of a slave to their holiday / sickness pattens. Had a little trouble with this myself but to be fair they have always managed to find a way to sort things out.

citizen mane

Reaction score

thinman2,

you are paying far more than you need to. if you dont mind spending that much its fine, but you can get 12 months supply of merck proscar-actual brand same official company as propecia (90 tablets of 5mg finasteride) for £78 from a reputable chemist delivered direct to our door.all you do is split the tablet into 4 with a pill cutter obtained from the same place for £1. i obtain mine on a private prescription (i can give you the doctors details) for £22. he's on the stuff himself. The tablets will cost you £55.

read the forums, dont buy 1mg propecia tablets, its the much more expensive route.split the proscar. Wether you use generic or branded is up to you, read the forums carefully....dont throw your hard earned money down the drain.

Educate yourself about the treatments especially the big 3. Companies like BOOTs jump on the bandwagon with hair restoration programs that have been around since the mid-90's in the US. Educating yourself will prevent you being ripped off/fleeced. A lot of expensive remedies essentially contain ingredienst that can be purchased a lot more cheaply elsewhere. i realised this when the trichology centre in london wanted £940 from me for essentially a 12 month supply of finasteride and minoxidil. I was required to jump on the train every 3 months to go to belgravia in london to obitain a repeat prescription. This forum is here to stop you being feeced. Get on the big 3.

Petchsky

Reaction score

Top class advice above, it's all good boots offering what they do, but if you educate yourself it really does not have to be that expensive