Thinning Around The Crown, Early Signs?

bobbysnuts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I'm 39 years old, and I've recently had my hair cut a lot shorter than usual, and have noticed some thinning around the back, also have been receding slowly at the temples, do I need to take action, and what would be for the best?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 17,807
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,591
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,114

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems it is beginning but considering you are almost 40...

You are lucky.

I have same vertex from teens:

hlt_vert-png.48638

And yes, it is male pattern baldness.

bobbysnuts

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just wanted to also point out that I've had a very itchy scalp for the last 3 months in the areas where my hair is thinning, is that usual?

I also started using Nizoral around the time the itching started, could this be related?

Pablo234

Reaction score
Going off your second picture, I don't think thats the start of thinning, I think you have a hair whorl like most people, and you've seen it under harsh lighting for the first time. Going off the first picture, it does look a little thinner underneath your whorl, but that could just be the angle and the lighting combined with your hair and skin colour. The fact that your 39 and your hair looks like it does, I don't think you've got any troubles at all lol.

bobbysnuts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Pablo, thanks for the reply, I was sure it's the start of male pattern baldness, but your reply has given me doubts!

I have had an intense itch for a few months around the area that look's like it's thinning, I've read that's common with the start of male pattern baldness?

Pablo234

Reaction score
Itchy scalps can be related to a lot of things my friend :)

Maybe it is the start of male pattern baldness, i'm no doctor so please don't take my word for it, but to me and most other guys on here, I think its just a whorl you'l have had all your life. My 9 year old nephew has a much more obvious cow lick than yours in your picture, and I really don't think he's unfortunate enough to have the initial onset of male pattern baldness just yet, ;)

bobbysnuts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've actually just took another picture from a slightly different angle and it defo look's to be thinning, what do you think?

Attachments

• back 3.jpg
    back 3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,925

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is eerie, it's like looking at my own scalp. One thing you should be aware of is the fact that you have extremely coarse hair, meaning that you likely have very low density because there are usually less follicles. Coarse hair does little to cover the scalp, and is easier to see through, especially at the frontal hairline and the crown. That combined with light skin makes it look even worse, especially with a phone camera that illuminates white spots.

I think it's very unlikely that you're balding. Here's mine for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_6305.JPG
    IMG_6305.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,170
  • IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,998
  • IMG_5965.JPG
    IMG_5965.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 3,780

bobbysnuts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply, I was convinced that I was starting to thin on the crown and was seriously considering taking action (finasteride).

I have been using Toppik to cover the thin areas, which I must say is a fantastic product (just a pain putting on every morning!)

I'm unsure what to actually do now, every time I think I'm definitely starting to thin someone says the opposite, what would you do?