thinninglatino80's story (Latino Male age 28 with PICS)

thinninglatino80

Reaction score
I'll keep it simple and sweet.

Male 28, noticed my hair was thin since I was 18 nothing drastic I've always had the same hairline (high hairline) though I think the right side sometimes looks a little more pronounced than the right.

Folks almost had a divorce, I took it hard I'm sure it affected my hair more. Derm. said its probably just Telogen Effluvium. Like I said it wasn't really ever noticeable I got one or two comments when I was 24 and one when I was 26 (hey looks like you are thinning a little).

Like I said I don't have an advanced hair loss. My father who is now 65 is going thru hairloss in the same region that I am and it started around 58 or so. He has a bald spot towards the crown. He doesn't want to take rogaine but I've been trying to show him what his hair looks like I might take some shots to show him. But I digress.

Supposedly most of the men in my father's side suffer from the tops thinning or being a bit bald.

Things I'm happy about is, the temples haven't changed since I was 18 ( never liked my temples and high hairline - THX GRANDPA!) Even pics of me when small I had a similar hairline.

Now my current regime (bare with me)

I read bout finasteride blah blah side effects so I decided to go the natural route and do Shen Min.

Shen Min since January around mid month - Now on this 3rd-4th month I've been getting some left ball annoyance, not pain but its feels like when you press your legs against your balls by mistake. Just slightly mostly like last week but now not often at all.

Rogaine - I started this month (May) It was giving me a big of headaches but then I started to apply it correctly and besides leaving my hair greasy after the 2nd day of using it, its not a big deal.

nizoral 2% - Started the day I started Rogaine makes my hair feel thick and good plus I get 0 dandruff now.

Ofcourse finasteride. My friend took it since 24 (he was loosing his hair since 18) never had any sides and kept his hair till now I never noticed his hair as thinning or anything. His brother took it and his best friend as well. None had sides. I'm thinking bout taking the last bottle of Shen Min just to finish it (I noticed the front has had alot of little hairs that have progressively gotten thicker as well as some of the sides of my head).

Now my hair thinning is not really noticable if its dry and combed in the quasi faux-hawk style that I use. Also if I want to use gel I just go and do the messy look.

I'm not really keen on hair transplant. I just want to keep and grow back some so the top of my head is fuller than now. I'd love to be able to ride it out till we have these wonderful procedures that are being heralded for the future.

I kept reading that propecia only has the duration of 2 - 5 years until the body renders it ineffective. Which would really suck.

This forum is a blessing, I've gotten so much information and I know that I'm not the only one afflicted by this gene f*** up.

Like I said I'm going to get on finasteride but first I want to do bloodtest and talk to the derm, regardless of what he says I know my hair is thinning and I want to control this till we are able to get a final solution or something close to it.

I dont think I have the type of head to try to shave it all off or something close. Plus I have two scars on my forehead. :(

Would love some suggestions or some words of encouragement guys, this whole sh*t has affected my sex life with my gf and its starting to have its toll on my self esteem.

91560632cd7.jpg

Wet hair combed down

11065962ti2.jpg

Wet hair combed down and split down the middle

6wetsplitdownthemiddlezch9.jpg

Wet hair combed down and split down the middle ZOOMED

29197493fn9.jpg

I usually comb my hair down and then sort of faux-hawk the front and the middle to cover up. here its just shuffled up and pushed back it sticks up more cause hair isnt use to go the opposite way.

7leftsideor5.jpg

Left Temple

7rightsideku5.jpg

Right Temple

lastsy5.jpg

Front - you can see the scars

hairlineleftan8.jpg

Left Hairline

hairlinemiddlend2.jpg

Middle Hairline

hairlinerightno4.jpg

Right Hairline

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Re: Latino Male 28 with PICS

Hey man. You got one good thing goin for you and thats the hairline! Its amazing its still stayed intact all this time. It will mostly likely stay that way too. However it appears as though your mid scalp region is the most at risk. This is actually a pretty good sign because it is the most responsive to propecia and rogaine. I think you're a cookie cutter case for Rogaine foam. But you really need to get on the finasteride, don't worry what you read about side effects. Its such crap man. Seriously. They do exist but its not as bad as everyone makes out. Totally exgarretated. It really depends how much you value your hair. But finasteride is your best chance. Dont leave it to late dude.

Besides if you get bad side effects (which is unlikely) you can always come off it. No big deal.

G

metaldude, you are such a tool! do you just talk out of your *** and spew out advice at random?

didnt you say last week that rogaine doesnt work for diffuse thinners?

to the original poster, yes rogaine does work for diffusers like yourself, but i just felt the need to bring this up to metalmoron because hes such a douche and gives out fucked up advice all the time.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

dostovei said:
metaldude, you are such a tool! do you just talk out of your *** and spew out advice at random?

didnt you say last week that rogaine doesnt work for diffuse thinners?

to the original poster, yes rogaine does work for diffusers like yourself, but i just felt the need to bring this up to metalmoron because hes such a douche and gives out f***** up advice all the time.

Dude do you even know what a diffuse thinner is?

Let me enlighten you. The true definition of a diffuse thinner is someone that is thinning uniformly all over there head. Including the areas once considered untouchable by traditional male pattern baldness. ie: the donor regions and back of the head. Diffusers thin on the sides and in the donor region! Its similar to womens hairloss if not the same. They do not have bald patches! But their hair is often so thin its see through. They do not have regions of thick hair and the other regions thin. That is the traditional male pattern baldness.

This guy clearly has a BALD PATCH. He is not diffusing.

Dude you have no idea. Hence why you only have 11 posts to your name. Stick around and learn some more before even considering rolling with the big boys :nono:

fightDHT

Reaction score

thinninglatino80's hair loss seems like diffuse to me..(first 2 pics clearly look diffuse thinning from the mid scalp)...i think he should start on propecia immediately to stop it...i also dont see any reason why anyone would suggest minoxidil/rogaine wont work for diffuse thinning...its just supposed to be a follicle stimulator...ive even hrd people inadvertently grew facial hair due to the leaked minoxidil on their faces...only thing ...its more of a long term commitment if you are up to it...but you shud definitely give finasteride a try...

metalheaddude

Reaction score

fightDHT said:
thinninglatino80's hair loss seems like diffuse to me..(first 2 pics clearly look diffuse thinning from the mid scalp)...i think he should start on propecia immediately to stop it...i also dont see any reason why anyone would suggest minoxidil/rogaine wont work for diffuse thinning...its just supposed to be a follicle stimulator...ive even hrd people inadvertently grew facial hair due to the leaked minoxidil on their faces...only thing ...its more of a long term commitment if you are up to it...but you shud definitely give finasteride a try...

I never said minoxidil didnt work on diffuse thinners. I said i've heard of reports on this forum where diffuse thinners had poor results with minoxidil. Think about it...Diffuse thinners have to apply the minoxidil to an often large area of the scalp as opposed to a more concentrated area of someone with a thin spot. The recommended daily usage for roagine foam is half a cap full! Do you really think a diffuse thinner can cover that kind of area with on half a cap? No. So they have to use MORE. . Which is against the recommedation of the original study. Which may or may not attribute to their poor results. I tell you from experience using extra minoxidil can cause your blood pressure to drop incredibly low causing you to black out or even cause death. But whatver.

G

metalheaddude said:
I never said minoxidil didnt work on diffuse thinners.

metalheaddude said:
Rogaine does not work on diffuse thinners.

you dumb son of a b**ch. you really are that oblivious to your own stupidity arent you?

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Well its success rate may as well be zero. Its very low. It does work but not well enough to warrant its use (imo under the definition of a true diffuse thinner is).

But is that all you got?

You're still not responding to my points..Oh wait i know why!! coz u can't!!!

OWNED :woot:

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

so, Rogaine will or wont work on me? I guess I'm a diffuser? I'm not sure what pattern hair loss I have. I dont think I have a bald patch either, just my top is thin and a little more in the middle.

also any response on the Propecia? Does it stop working after 5 years? Being that my hair loss is very slow would it prolong it past 5 years? I know its a per person result drug but I'd love to know. I know both Rogaine and Propecia are a long time type of medications. I'd like to at least grow my hair and keep it till I'm 40, perhaps thats too much to ask but I figure there will be something better by then.

Thx for the info guys and stop fighting! Less fighting more helping please :punk:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

You definitely have some thinning going on in the mid-scalp area but overall your hair looks good. Honestly, I live in Florida with many latinos and it is very seldom for me to see a thinning latino even ones over 40 or 50 years old. I am always surprised when I do see cases like yours. I must say I was always envious of certain physical aspects of your genetic make-up. Most latinos have thick coarse wavy hair and tend not to gray until very late in life, you always have a great tan all year round and easily put on muscle mass We also have many from the UK here too and I notice its the opposite for them. I rarely see cases of a full head of thick hair on a male from the UK and as far as tanning they tend to look more like red lobsters. I do notice we have alot of posters here from the UK too. Anyway you still have very thick hair so you will have no problem concealing your thinning with some good hair volumizers and shampoos. I would try Propecia for 8 months and if you do not see any improvement, then you might want to add minoxidil. I would definitely do all this under the direction of a reputable doctor who has experience in treating male pattern baldness. Keep monitoring your blood too with blood test every six months or whatever your Doctor recommends.

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

Well I'm a mix breed to be specific I guess, my grandfather was part german and my grandmother was part french the rest were latino and on my father's side we have a little bit of asian, so yea I'm a mutt so I'm guess its from somewhere.

The good thing is, I do have really coarse hair and thick so when I use volume shampoo and/or nizoral 2% I started using Rogaine, next week will be my 4th week on it. Should I not use it and just do finasteride? I'm just trying to get my ducks in order so I dont have to over do it.

You guys think I can regrow and keep my top? Its not bare and when I style it its pretty dense, just cant do the all spike'd up style.

Thanks for your replies guys :). You rock.

PS: Do you guys think its ok to wash my hair every day? I usually do it once every other day with nizoral. The only thing is that Rogaine leaves my hair oily after the 2nd day I start putting it on

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

I don't know what your ducks have to do with your hairloss. :innocent: I say let the ducks stay in the pond with the fish and the turtles. As far as your treatments I would just start with Propecia/finasteride only and wait about 8 months. That way if your hair does get worse, you can just blame it on the Propecia. If you are using minoxidil and Propecia, you will have no idea which is doing what. That is my mistake I made and if had to do it again, I would have first started with Propecia. Now I have no idea if it was the minoxidil that made my hair get worse or if it was the Propecia.

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

Do you guys think I should bother with my temples and my hairline andput some minoxidil in there? Man, now I guess I'm in a pickle, do I stop minoxidil now and go on propecia/finasteride? I need to setup a bloodtest with the Doctor so he can check my T and DHT as well.

I think if I stop rogaine now I should be good. input is appreciated

fightDHT

Reaction score

I think in your place (with as much hair you have) I would have not touched minoxidil for now...but started on finasteride and see how it works for 6-8 months (be prepared for the shed around 1-2 months)...the first goal should be maintaining what you have by reducing hair fall....once you achieve that you should try for regrowth using minoxidil....like doctorhouse said, if u mix up treatments u wont know what works for you and what doesn't and will end blaming and giving up on both of them...start with finasteride and nizoral (as it is a good shampoo anyways)...u can keep other "natural" things like saw palmetto, omega3 supplememnts(fish oil)..multivitamin and zinc supplements active along with finasteride (thats what I am doin as of now)...just my 2 cents...

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

Ok, I will stop rogaine since its only been 3 weeks. I will have to wait till next month to set up an appointment with the doctor/derm to check blood T and DHT levels.

Will it be ok to just use the nizoral shampoo and the other vitamins I'm using? or should I keep using rogaine till I start finasteride then get off rogaine.

Thx again.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score

how is your family history?

that's really the big question. if you have a bad history of male pattern baldness, then it most likely is what it is.

to answer your question - been on propecia for 1.5 years and it HAS regrown thin areas all over. the places that improved most was where you hare losing your hair.

i am also on foam, and i use it on my vertex and hairline/temple. those areas have improved to the point where i was at just when male pattern baldness started.

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

My father started thinning around 55 and has noticeable hairloss now that he's 62ish. I havent really seen any of my other uncles have hairloss, father's hairloss usually came and increased due to stress.

like I said I've always had this hairline even @ 16 ( just saw some profile shots of me when I was 16 and its the same) Don't think the hair has decreased in terms of consistency but for sure I get thin hairs and thick hairs that fall out when I wash my hair. As you can see the pictures show that I have less than normal and its actually the same area that my father is getting hit at his age.

I guess it might be really slow and working its way to that when I'm 55ish. I dont really mind my temples I dont think they are a REAL issue just my top is a bit annoying.

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

I updated the pics on the frontpage to show my hairline and the hairs that have been growing since I started with the saw palmetto supplement (not sure if they were on sleep mode before and they just coincided when I started to take the saw palmetto mix (shen min) but I figure I'd put it up for reference.

I will stay on rogaine and shen min till I can setup an appointment then I'll ween off rogaine before I start propecia (I figure it should be around 3 months that and that should tell me if its helping or not).

oh yea, I get a lil bit of a headache 10mins after I put on rogaine, then its gone...is that normal?

thinninglatino80

Reaction score

I stopped Rogaine two weeks ago, it was giving me huge headaches and leaving my hair a big mess. I ordered 4 month supply of Finpicia from UP.

I'll be taking .5 the first month and 2nd month then the 3 I will be doing full 1mg.

Cross your fingers guys, lets pray no sides!