This board has been a lifesaver. Here's my story so far.......photo of 0 weeks vs. 9

Reaction score
I joined this board recently. The reason, like everyone else here, is I finally paid attention to the fact that my hair was going the way of the dodo. I am 43. Up until I was about 37, I enjoyed a reasonably thick head of hair, nice (if somewhat receding) hair line and only a little thinning around the "spiral" area (vertex?)

Well---the last 5 years have been rough on my hair---and I havent paid attention. I am 6 ft. tall---so its not as if everyone was seeing the top of my head. My wife said nothing because she didnt wish to upset me.

I caught myself on a video that someone made and discovered I was really going bald. Quickly. Typical male pattern baldness. So---I hit the forums. Once here, I discovered all about Rogaine (which I thought was just a joke and wouldnt work), Nizoral 2% (which I had never even heard of) and Propecia.I also heard about emu oil (strengthens hair, makes it darker?)

I decided no way to propecia because I have a fear of drugs that have been documented to have bad side effects. Me and drugs=Murphy's Law.

I started using Rogaine in the eye dropper twice a day, and using Nizoral 2 % every day in the afternoon because I have dandruff and some issues with scalp sores. Emu oil shampoo and conditioner before applying nightime Rogaine.

Below are a photos of my head before anything and after 9 weeks of Nizoral and Rogaine liquid and emu oil.

I am now a believer. So are my wife and kids.

I owe this board a lot. Thanks for sharing your stories and information with me. I will update in another 9 weeks and we will see if its still growing in or if this is it. But if this is it---its a lot better than it was. Take a look see. Long live Rogaine and Nizoral 2% shampoo. I didn't think I would see any results for 3-4 months. But after 9 weeks---I am feeling good about this.:punk:

Attachments

• Day 0 ~before rogaine nizoral and emu oil regiment began.jpg
    Day 0 ~before rogaine nizoral and emu oil regiment began.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 286
  • week 9.jpg
    week 9.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 268

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Very good results and only after like 2.5 months! I think after a year of that stuff the bald spot should be completely covered. Just remember you can't stop using rogaine or say bye bye to your hair. And about propecia the forums have you brainwashed. If you actually look at CLINICAL DATA, it is a relatively safe drug. On forums people that experience sides post about the negatives. People that have been successful with propecia are living their lives and not posting. That why it seems that propecia is way more dangerous than it actually is. There is always two sides to everything!

Baldie101

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow congratulations. I wish for the same effect now that I added Regaine to my propercia, heh.

I got a few questions.

You say you got dandruff and scalp sores...didn't nizoral make your skin more dry? How did you cope with that?
I got dandruff too but I get very dry skin when I use Nizoral so I only use it twice a week...lemme hear your miracle secrets.

You also say that you used the emu oil and conditioner (any special brand?) so you wash your head twice a day before applying 2nd time Rogaine?

Lastly, I agree with CursedMen. I always thought the Propercia was weird but it's actually documented what it does while Minoxidil isn't. The don't really know about it. I use Finesteride, it haven't done much to me except making me a little fat (well I gained 7 kilos in a year on a body that refused to gain weight) so it differs I guess. The results..well I had some but I lost them and hair from the front in month 10 so I hope it's just a shedding and they will come back. I pray a lot these days, lol.

Reaction score
The Nizoral did dry the sores----but my scalp always seems to be very oily. I have the "greasy" dandruff. So the drying was a good factor for me. It dried up the oil on my scalp bringing ti to a "normal" level and crusted the sores over. I pulled the crusts off with my fingers. They still come back. But this shampoo works with my weird combination scalp.

I do wash my head before applying second Rogaine app. I get up in the morning and put it on. let it dry in/absorb for about 3-4 hours. Then come home and wash my hair. I put the second Rogaine app on about an hour before bedtime and leave it in all night. I sleep on my stomach, so it isnt a problem with me rubbing it all over my pillow.

I alternate back and forth between the emu oil shampoo and the Nizoral. Nizoral seesm to give my hair more body. Emu oil tends to make it a little more flat. Link to emu oil I am currently using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emu-Oil-Sha...722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef4aee52

I am not a doctor, and all the advice I have came from here at this forum. It sure is working for me.

I realize I will ahve to keep using the Rogaine or the hair will vanish again. But it was vanishing before the Rogaine. So $15 a month is a small price to pay for my desire for hair,lol.

I am scared of Propercia and the others primarily because everytime a drug seesm to affect "a small percentage of people", I am in that percentage,lol.

Thanks to everyone.

Reaction score
I thought I posted a reply. Either I forgot to hit the post button, or it got deleted.

Nizoral doesnt dry my scalp as much because I dont have "dry dandruff". I have a naturally oily scalp. The dreaded "greasy dandruff" is my problem there. It dries my scalp up to normal levels. It does flake the sores over and dry them up. Then I just remove them with my finger. I havent beeen getting many breakouts since Nizoral. So---groovy!

Routine:

Morning: I wake up.
Wash my head with Nizoral. Keep it on 5 minutes. Rinse it out. Blow it dry or air dry.
Add Rogaine app #1 after hair and scalp dry...go about my day.
Mid afternoon...wash my hair with emu oil shampoo and conditioner
Evening (about three hours before bed) add rogaine app #2

emu oil shampoo and conditioner can be found at just about any place online. Even evil bay. I had a link in my last reply, but they may have been against the forum rules---so I dont wanna post it again. No special type or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Very good results and only after like 2.5 months! I think after a year of that stuff the bald spot should be completely covered. Just remember you can't stop using rogaine or say bye bye to your hair. And about propecia the forums have you brainwashed. If you actually look at CLINICAL DATA, it is a relatively safe drug. On forums people that experience sides post about the negatives. People that have been successful with propecia are living their lives and not posting. That why it seems that propecia is way more dangerous than it actually is. There is always two sides to everything!

I shy away from drugs because a lot of times the "small percentage" who experiece unpleseant side effects usually includes me everytime,lol.

I know I cannot stop using the Rogaine or the hair will go back to disappearing. But that doesnt bother me. I have to keep using toothpaste or my teeth will disappear. I just try to look at it that way. I would rather keep using it as long as I get results. I went to an amusement park yesterday for a few hours. About 9 weeks ago, I would started getting a sunburn in the amount of time I spent outside without a hat. But there was actually enuff hair up there now to block the sun.

I was very skeptic starting all this----but, as I said, this board has been very informative and is helping me a lot. I will post more shots in due time, and I hope that in a year the bald spot is totally covered. My younger brother was thinning the same way as well. I showed him my before and after shots, and he's a believer now. Gonna start his regiment soon.