This hair loss thing, looking for advice...

jamesh123

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I thought it would be about time I posted a thread on this forum describing my own misfortunes with hair loss...

I began loosing hair when I was around 16/17 now 19 (almost 20, super stoked btw). However, all blokes in my family, both mother and fathers sides have some form of hairloss either ranging between a Norwood 4 all the way to a Norwood 7 so I was inherently doomed from the beginning. I began seeking treatment when I left school at the age of 17, I started with laser hair therapy hoping this would be the cure to all my problems but it didn't change a thing... So after spending £200 a month for around 6 months I gave up after seeing no results at all.

It wasn't until a few months down the line I heard about finesteride (1mg) and minoxidil (12.5%), so I started taking these two products June 2015 and had various results...

This is me June 2015;
IMAG0362.jpg

As you can see my hair is mainly thinning rather than receding however, that's not to say it didn't impact on my temples, it did.
The finesteride worked wonders. My hair started to look thicker and healthier in a matter of weeks, I was feeling pretty positive at this point! Until the side effects of the minoxidil started to take place. The inability to achieve an erection was depressing enough let alone the dandruff and the irritation that kept me awake at night for hours on end, I felt like the need claw at my temples would do more harm to my hair than good. I stopped minoxidil straight away and decided yet again I was doomed and would never to be able to re-grow what I've lost around my temples. At this point I was still using finasteride, which made the hairloss slow down considerably however, it didn't hault it.

This is me at the moment, these photos were were taken earlier today (19.02.16)
hair1.jpghair2.jpghair3.jpghair4.jpghair5.jpghair6.jpg

As you can see Finesteride has helped but recently (maybe the last month or two) I've also been taken Biotin (20,000mcg) per day, which I would recommended to anyone looking to increase the thickness of their hair. I've also been hitting the gym seriously over the past 4 months so maybe that's had an impact.

The worst part of my hairloss currently is styling my hair, which I'd say I manage to cover up most of my problems fairly successfully but I do think it's the beginning of a combover, however, seeing my hands covered with hair is especially miserable. I use thick matte wax and mousse to thinken and add a bit of texture but unfortunately none of these products aren't very helpful to my hair but I feel too self conscious to go outside with nothing trying to cover up my thinning areas.

It's become such a prominent part of my life that I feel almost cheated that I've started to loose hair at such a young age (as I'm sure many of you can relate to this). Whenever I meet someone the first thing I look at is their current hair and honestly the lack of people around my age in a similar boat just adds insult to injury...

My main goal at the moment would be to increase the density of my hair especially around the temples and if possible to lower my hairline (which I'd say im currently sitting at around a NW1.5/2, maybe being too harsh on my self though). I would love to hear any advice to achieving this as the impact it has on my confidence is severe to say the least and honestly I'm dreading the summer sun as I'm sure many of you know it's the most miserable period where you can't avoid everyone seeing the true extent of your hair loss.

P.S
If anyone is interested this would be my ideal hair whether it's possible or not I'd like some impartial advise to see if I could achieve this...
wavy-hairstyle-for-men-promod_b.jpg

Thanks,
James

jamesh123

Reaction score
Forgot to upload this photo from the area "This is me at the moment, these photos were were taken earlier today (19.02.16)";
hair7.jpg

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good on starting finasteride. I don't know if minoxidil at 12.5% can cause those sides, but usually sexual sides are associated with finasteride. If you are feeling better after stopping the 12.5% minoxidil maybe you could try the 5%. I actually think your closer to a Norwood 3 than 1.5/2.

Unless you are one of the lucky few who respond well to finasteride/min you would probably need a hair transplant to achieve something like your ideal. Or dabble in HRT pills for people who transition (there was a post here about some asian guy who did it and had a pretty impressive recovery, but I think he grew tits??).

jamesh123

Reaction score
Good on starting finasteride. I don't know if minoxidil at 12.5% can cause those sides, but usually sexual sides are associated with finasteride. If you are feeling better after stopping the 12.5% minoxidil maybe you could try the 5%. I actually think your closer to a Norwood 3 than 1.5/2.

Unless you are one of the lucky few who respond well to finasteride/min you would probably need a hair transplant to achieve something like your ideal. Or dabble in HRT pills for people who transition (there was a post here about some asian guy who did it and had a pretty impressive recovery, but I think he grew tits??).

I forgot to mention in my above post that my sexual sides stopped once I stopped taking min. I haven't noticed any sides though from finasteride but I have been toying with the idea of starting dutasteride as my hairloss is quite aggressive at my age.

I've thought about a hair transplant for years but the problem is the finacial aspect, I currently spend less than £15 a month and since im starting uni later this year and i'm unsure how I'll be able to afford it.

Even though I have aggressive hair loss I don't think I would play about with my hormones so much so that I could risk damaging myself and growing boobs ain't the most attractive for a guy, unless your into that stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

Get on seti(pg protocol). No sides.

Is there any studies to sugest it works?? I mean I know it's a PGD2 inhibitor but there isn't much known about the drug, also it seems really difficult to get a hold of and there isn't any guidlines for the doseage.

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any studies to sugest it works?? I mean I know it's a PGD2 inhibitor but there isn't much known about the drug, also it seems really difficult to get a hold of and there isn't any guidlines for the doseage.

First things first, minoxidil doesnt cause erectile disfunction, its finasteride.
Second, I'm using seti. And it works like a charm without any sides. To get it, you have to join a group buy.
At this point, your only options are either going bald or living with broken dick LOL! You HAVE to try experimental stuff if you want to keep your hair and dick, because there are no other cures.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
First things first, minoxidil doesnt cause erectile disfunction, its finasteride.
Second, I'm using seti. And it works like a charm without any sides. To get it, you have to join a group buy.
At this point, your only options are either going bald or living with broken dick LOL! You HAVE to try experimental stuff if you want to keep your hair and dick, because there are no other cures.

How long have you been on seti for? I dont know why no one seems to be giving updates on how its going. I'd be interested in getting in on a group buy.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to be brutally honest here man, you're not NW1.5. You're actually NW2/3 or NW2.5 as it is often called. You have an aggressive case of hair loss for your age, but it looks like finasteride and minoxidil were working for you.

minoxidil didn't cause erectile dysfunction, if you dropped it and returned to normal then that means your symptoms were psychosomatic in which case I would recommend getting back on minoxidil and dealing with dandruff through Nizoral or regenpure. The fact that you had no ED on finasteride alone means you can tolerate both.

That picture you posted of the hair you want... It's not going to happen man, sorry... You could get a hair transplant and get something close, but at your age it would be a very reckless move. You've only been on finasteride a short time, you're not yet sure if your hairloss is stabilized, you're young and have an aggressive case. You'd need to use thousands of grafts lowering your hairline and you will probably keep losing the non transplanted hairs behind it, not telling how long finasteride works. If finasteride doesn't stabilize your hair loss then you need to switch to dutasteride. Hope that in a couple of years, hope that Folicept/Shiseido comes out and is effective. Your focus should now be on maintaining/thickening, not on lowering your hairline.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but you need to have realistic expectations and stick with proven treatments. Setipipterant is for maintenance, the only other treatment known for regrowth is spironolacetone, which is VERY effective, but is used in HRT for transgender people so probably not safe.

The silver lining is, I imagine you lost most of your hair in the last 1-2 years and recently lost hair is the most likely to regrow when on treatments, your hair follicles may not be dead yet, they might recover. Have hope.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit of advice: Avoid wax and gel, it makes hair clump and exposes thinning hair and scalp. Wax is only for people with thick hair. Hair spray and concealers like nanogen or caboki may help you hold your hair in place and look thicker.

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
How long have you been on seti for? I dont know why no one seems to be giving updates on how its going. I'd be interested in getting in on a group buy.

I have no idea why people aren't talking about seti. Not many people have it and those who do, are on private forums. At the very least, seti will stop shedding and miniaturization. In my case, i had lots or regrowth and thickening.
I have used it for 2 months now, and my hair has improved so much. My main problem was thinning all over the top and temples, as well as constant shedding. Nearly zero shedding now, density and thickness has improved so much.

As a disclaimer, im not using seti alone, but as a part of a pg protocol. You can read my last posts i made. I'll make another update in a month in seti log thread.

Here is a picture i took today. As you can see all these new hairs are sprawling and moving hairline lower. This is all new growth from seti.

Ddce5a3.jpg

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice. Yeah arent private forums contradicting the whole idea behind forums? Like we are all in this hairloss thing together why not share information.

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
Some are more determined to reverse their hairloss than others. People like that are willing to participate in group buys and try experimental stuff. That's who private forums are for.

And the info isn't a secret really. In regards to seti, lots of people were taking it orally. You need around 300-500mg daily dose if not more. And it isn't cost effective.
So people took below 300mg and didn't see many results, except for maybe decreased shed. Wasted time. Topical 5% solution is where it is at.
Dissolve in Swiss's vehicle which he made public: 50% ethanol, 30% polysorbate 80, 20% Dimethyl Isosorbide (DMI) and just a drop of DMSO.

I see users here keep repeating the same thing how pg protocol is fail and that seti is only for maintenance. False! Probably comes from underdosing seti.

Edit: I'm trying to spread the info to help other people who are as desperate as I was to reverse hairloss. If i regrow everything i lost, and by the looks of it i will, ill make one final update and stop posting here.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Some are more determined to reverse their hairloss than others. People like that are willing to participate in group buys and try experimental stuff. That's who private forums are for.

And the info isn't a secret really. In regards to seti, lots of people were taking it orally. You need around 300-500mg daily dose if not more. And it isn't cost effective.
So people took below 300mg and didn't see many results, except for maybe decreased shed. Wasted time. Topical 5% solution is where it is at.
Dissolve in Swiss's vehicle which he made public: 50% ethanol, 30% polysorbate 80, 20% Dimethyl Isosorbide (DMI) and just a drop of DMSO.

I see users here keep repeating the same thing how pg protocol is fail and that seti is only for maintenance. False! Probably comes from underdosing seti.

Edit: I'm trying to spread the info to help other people who are as desperate as I was to reverse hairloss. If i regrow everything i lost, and by the looks of it i will, ill make one final update and stop posting here.

Problem is there are dozens and maybe over hundred people using seti and stuff,but no one besides swiss showed any regrowth results so far.

Even hellouser the comunity hairloss guru here havent spoken word about his results.

Thank you for your photos,but without before and after comparison its hard to see something. I see maybe 20 hairs below the clear thick hairline.

btw are you using castor oil?your eybrows and finger hair looks really thick

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
Problem is there are dozens and maybe over hundred people using seti and stuff,but no one besides swiss showed any regrowth results so far.

Even hellouser the comunity hairloss guru here havent spoken word about his results.

Thank you for your photos,but without before and after comparison its hard to see something. I see maybe 20 hairs below the clear thick hairline.

btw are you using castor oil?your eybrows and finger hair looks really thick

No my eyebrows and finger hair are natural.
I'll make an update sometime next month and post new pic to compare.
People do get results, its just nobody bothers to post them here.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP ride out your current regimen and evaluate if you don't lose hair. You need to use it a bit longer. You can always look for a hair transplant in the future.

No my eyebrows and finger hair are natural.
I'll make an update sometime next month and post new pic to compare.
People do get results, its just nobody bothers to post them here.

Instead of using sub-par treatment why don't you actually start looking into things like finasteride and minoxidil? Androgen/AR suppression and minoxidil (if you respond) is way superior than to the stuff you are using.

I mean your finger hair is of better quality than your head hair.

Bottom line, start pulling out the real guns instead of playing around.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Swisstemples did share information lol

I was talking about this forum. They created a dedicated set thread and I think first post is the only one who has given an update/ info. People were bugging the guys the first few weeks of the thread during summer and I think it pissed them off.

g.i joey

Reaction score
apparently people at private forums think we flood the forums with nonsense therefore we shouldnt be exposed to the benefits of these sketchy protocols people are using to grow hair(not doubting them or anything, i think swiss is onto something). which i think is BS, id love to see peoples experience with seti so i could reduce my finasteride dosage and maintain with that, but we arent worthy enough?

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
OP ride out your current regimen and evaluate if you don't lose hair. You need to use it a bit longer. You can always look for a hair transplant in the future.

Instead of using sub-par treatment why don't you actually start looking into things like finasteride and minoxidil? Androgen/AR suppression and minoxidil (if you respond) is way superior than to the stuff you are using.

I mean your finger hair is of better quality than your head hair.

Bottom line, start pulling out the real guns instead of playing around.

I can't. finasteride gives me gyno at .25mg a day, minoxidil causes bags under eyes.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
You could probably grow out your hair, as long as you keep something covering part of your hairline most styles will work. The shorter your hair the more noticeable it will be.