This is what happened to me

Senritsu

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am 37 and my hair loss started less than 2 years ago. Sometime in August 2013, I got a haircut and nothing seemed out of the ordinary in the mirror. I remember the time, roughly because two months before that I lost my job, then I spent two months looking for another one, and when I found one, I got a haircut right before the interview. About six weeks into the new job, I had a physical breakdown and supposedly a mental breakdown and was put on psychiatric medication and a beta blocker.

About a month or two later, I again went for a haircut, and noticed my hair was dramatically thinned out, which remains to this day. I do have a family history of hair loss on my mother's side, which is supposedly where you get it. I have two uncles on that side: one is bald, the other is not, so I'm not sure I know how that works, or if anyone does, but I digress. Given the fact that hair loss is a common side-effect of beta blockers, and given the fact that it started just about when I took them, I am 97% sure that this was the cause. Even if I am predisposed for hair loss, I am still convinced the beta blocker triggered it, whereas I had made it that long without a sign of it.

I didn't really start getting concerned about it until the symptoms of my health condition started to dissipate, because it was honestly so bad that I didn't care about anything, and I was certain I was going to die, or become crippled. When I got better, I kept hoping that the hair would come back, since I had stopped taking the beta blocker. I stopped taking the anti-depressant this past winter, and around that time I went to a doctor and got tested for certain deficiencies that might cause hair loss, but the blood work came out normal. It's ridiculous, but for these past few months I have tried homeopathic treatments, like applying apple cider vinegar and vaseline to the scalp. About a month ago I started taking certain supplements together such as copper, zinc and vitamin D, and I have drunk a lot of green tea.

I figured I had nothing to lose by trying them, but I haven't noticed any improvement. Whenever I lightly pull my hair, I usually pull out some hairs. This hasn't stopped. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it, at this point. Should I get DHT tested, first, or should I just start a treatment on my own? I have lost my confidence in doctors, after this ordeal. Had I known the beta blocker would have done this, I would have refused it and taken my chances. Would using keto shampoo and spironolactone cream help me, or is this another type of hair loss? Is there a way to find out?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Easier to post pictures if it is male pattern baldness finasteride would be the first step to tackling it.