This Needs To Be Said

Rick12

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I occasionally read through this forum a while back when I was first coming to terms with losing my hair and I recently just came to have a quick read of some peoples stories and what not. Anyway I think its great to have a community for people who are struggling with hair loss, but I did find that some people on this forum are extremely negative towards some things and I don't think that helps many people who are browsing here to find solutions and/or support for their hair loss. I then decided to make this account and shed some light on things that seem to be a bit taboo on this forum for people who are interested.

I'm 23 years old and started losing my hair at the end of high school. I got till about 20 before my hair was way too far gone to deny it was going. I have diffuse thinning so I didn't have many options of hair styles. Anyway, I instantly decided I was not interested in taking any medication for my hair loss and I refused to have a transplant due to scarring, price and it not being worth it to me personally. I was almost set to just completely shave my head (I already had my hair buzzed) when I found out about hair systems. I was not going to pay thousands of dollars to a hair club for a hair system, instead I did some research and found where to buy them significantly cheaper and found a support forum to help learn the DIY of hair systems. I thought why not give it a shot, if I didn't like it I would just remove it and throw it in the bin and shave my head again. I wore a hair system for the next 2 years and it was great. It was cheap, easy, and it worked. No one knew, not even my own sister who is a hair dresser.

For people saying that hair systems will start to rule your life here is the simple truth from someone who wore one for 2 years. I spent about 1 hour a week removing, cleaning and reattaching my system. I swam while wearing it, I went on roller coasters, I played sport with my friends and did pretty much everything I did before. If you don't believe me then look up an Australian Rules Footballer called 'Brent Guerra' and see if his hair system comes off.

Now their are downsides to wearing a hair system, which is only partly why I stopped wearing it. I was over the maintenance, as little as it was I got over doing it. You do have to pre-plan a little. For example, if you are going away for a week, you will always want to do the attachment the day before you leave and being a spontaneous, adventurous person this was quite annoying for me. Plus I travel a lot and having to do maintenance while I'm travelling seemed like a waste of time. I am also a very active person that plays competitive sport and many action sports like surfing and snowboarding, and while you can definitely wear a system doing these things I found it a bit annoying. If you don't do a lot of travelling and extreme sports (gym is fine!) then wearing a hair system may definitely be for you!

So I decided to just shave my head bald, mainly because I don't care about being bald. Sure I would rather have hair, but its not a big deal. Hair doesn't define you and if you think it does, it will ruin your life. This isn't a post to convince you to not take pills or not get a hair transplant, if thats what you want to do then go for it. However, I just want you to know that being bald is not a bad thing. I assure you, coming from a young bald man, the only person who cares is you! Sure some girls (or guys) might not like it, but some girls might not like how tall or short you are, some girls might not like your nose, not everyone is going to like every part about you! If you desperately want hair I suggest trying a hair system before you go for a transplant, because the hair system is easily reversible, whereas a scar on the back of your head is not.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to do or not to do anything, I just think a lot of people that read through this forum may not be getting the information they need during a very tough point in their life. Being Bald is okay! Their is nothing wrong with it and remember, no one cares anywhere near as much as you do!

Love yourself for who you are and just live your life, don't let hair loss stop you from doing that!

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should of just posted this in the 'Tell your story' section, because there really isn't any real discussion here.
So of course the maintenance of keeping a system was too unbearable for you, so you decided you would accept your baldness, good for you. Maybe post some pics of your system in the Hair Replacement Section, it would be interesting to see.