Thoughts On Clove Essential Oil? Powerful Properties.

ajbrah

Reaction score
Clove oil, mainly through its most active constituent eugenol, has been shown to have powerful androgen receptor antagonist properties. It is also an antifungal, which may have implications for dermatophytes, it stimulates the scalp and increases blood flow, it reduces 5a-reductase, and it activates TRVP3, potentially reinvigorating dormant follicles. Like many essential oils with powerful properties (thyme, bergamot, cinnamon, clary sage, etc), its benefits for hair loss seem underexplored.

I've been mixing things like clove oil, peppermint oil, and bergamot oil in my castile shampoo for several months, as well as massaging it in, and I have new hairs growing at the hairline. I'm convinced that there are much more effective options than finasteride and min out there with no side effects; it's just difficult to fund studies and patent the products, so they aren't researched as much.

Has anyone tried clove oil? Or are there reasons to avoid it? Thanks.

ajbrah

Reaction score
According to this study, activation of TRVP3 inhibits human hair growth. Eugenol was used so if you correlate its effects with clove oil, it could be a negative.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21593771

Unfortunately this is the first time TRVP3 has been discussed on this forum. So many variables at play when dealing with an in vitro experiment like that, and what if the other constituents in clove oil, such as the antioxidants, modulate the effects of the eugenol?

In this study they found clove oil emulsified in emu oil increased hair growth.
"Eugenol comprising about 70 of clove essential oil shows an androgenic activity and stimulates hair root to feed and hence could be a good candidate for developing an anti-hair loss formulation... The selected formulation was demonstrated to condition hair with grooming and enhanced hair growth with longer lag time compared with minoxidil but after one week the hair growth accelerated."

http://eprints.skums.ac.ir/4688/

This makes me think eugenol has a cascade action which stimulates hair growth more endogenously.

Peppermint oil has also compared favorably with minoxidil and menthol is, like eugenol, a TRVP3 agonist. However, what I like better about clove oil is that it has androgenic properties, unlike peppermint (and lavender, and tea tree) which is highly estrogenic. Androgens are responsible for hair thickening pre-puberty and are associated with a lot of metabolic benefits.

Last edited:

danielscasa

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting I appreciate the information. I currently use peppermint oil with success but I was not aware of those properties.