Thoughts on Lasercomb

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So about a year ago I got a lasercomb and used it religiously for about 6 months. I would say it clearly helped develop the hair folicles I had remaining. My hairline was more pronounced and the hair was corser and stronger looking.

But then I moved and misplaced it packing and got busy and stopped using it. I definately noticed that thinning had occurred about 3 months ago, that my hairline wasnt looking as good. So I found it a few weeks ago and started it again. This morning under close examination I can see that many hairs on my frontal hairline have a much darker bulb starting to develop.

So anyhow, the point is that I think the Lasercomb is beneficial in making the best out of the hair you have, it may not regrow many hair folicles but it definatley can help coverage and the overall health of hair. At least in my case.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
search on google, there pretty expensive though bout £400 or something. But then again it is a one of payment. Last time I looked which was a while ago they were seeking FDA approval or had it. I think it does work at thicking exsisting hair.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They are sold on Ebay for $400-500. However, the warranty is void if you are not the original purchaser.

They are FDA approved for thickening hair and improving the "shinyness" of hair. Since thickening gives greater scalp coverage, that's at least a benefit. They are currently in testing for FDA approval on regrowth.

Headache

Reaction score
Consider like a thickening shampoo...

I've had the lasercomb for a couple of years and still use it about once per week. I really don't consider it part of my regimen, because I don't think it helps maintain or regrow hair.

That said, it does appear to thicken my hair after use, and that's a good thing. Just like using a thickening shampoo, it gives the appearance of thicker hair. I'm not sure the science behind it really works, like the company that makes it would like you to believe.

viperfish

Reaction score
I'm actually considering it for use within my regimen. It says you have to use it 3x per week (10 minute sessions). Not really a big deal. If they are trying to get FDA approval for regrowth, if this is true, it must work pretty well. Takes alot of time and money to do this so they must be sure the lasercomb works. I have never heard of any other product trying to get FDA approval other than tricomin. The price by the way $650!! Pretty expensive, but a one time buy.

viperfish

Reaction score
Nothing real new Jimmy. Although, I stopped using revivogen. I'm just using Copper peptides once in awhile and kevis, which just makes my hair look thicker. That is it.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
looks thicker?? don't u just apply it to ur scalp? is it also the shampoo that's helping?.... no offense, but quitting revivogen...? probably a bad idea. even if it's not doing much, it's probably helping.

viperfish

Reaction score
After being on revivogen for 7 months I have no reason to believe it is doing anything for me. It is just not gonna cut it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
I'm actually considering it for use within my regimen. It says you have to use it 3x per week (10 minute sessions). Not really a big deal. If they are trying to get FDA approval for regrowth, if this is true, it must work pretty well. Takes alot of time and money to do this so they must be sure the lasercomb works. I have never heard of any other product trying to get FDA approval other than tricomin. The price by the way $650!! Pretty expensive, but a one time buy.
The suggested usage is actually 3x a week for a month, then 2x a week. It takes about 15 minutes per session to use the thing, and it's boring, as you move the unit in 1/2 inch increments all over your head and hold it for four seconds per increment. OTOH, it makes my hair look nicer.

You can buy them on Ebay for about $500, but you don't get a warranty. I bought mine that way, and sure enough, it quit working. However, I sent it back to the guy from whom I bought it, he sent it in on a warranty claim, Lexington replaced it, and he sent it back to me. I had to pay $15 for shipping and insurance, but at least I got a working unit back.

viperfish

Reaction score
I bought mine through the Lexington. I wanted the warranty and the 3 month money back guaratee if I don't like it. How long have you been using it MVP??

polster

Reaction score
I think products like these can fall into the catagory of MEdical Quackery!

"The placebo effect is well documented, especially among psychosomatic illnesses. If you think you are getting treatment, you may feel better, even if you're only taking sugar pills."

If you just think logically how would a bunch of laser Pointers (basically red LEDS) hooked onto a comb to anything of such value? My thinking is that this product like many in its class will be fined by the FDA for trying to market it as a hair growth product!

viperfish

Reaction score
polster said:
I think products like these can fall into the catagory of MEdical Quackery!

"The placebo effect is well documented, especially among psychosomatic illnesses. If you think you are getting treatment, you may feel better, even if you're only taking sugar pills."

If you just think logically how would a bunch of laser Pointers (basically red LEDS) hooked onto a comb to anything of such value? My thinking is that this product like many in its class will be fined by the FDA for trying to market it as a hair growth product!

They are not marketing the lasercomb as a hair growth product yet!!!!!! They are however seeking FDA approval to market the lasercomb as a hair growth product. The FDA has already apporved its saftey and for its benefit for helping to thicken the hair. So they can't get fined!! Have you read the research?? You should before you start talking about things you may have no clue about. :wink:

viperfish

Reaction score
Anyone read this???

For the last 2 years Lexington has been focused on conducting scientific clinical trials and preparing a FDA 510K Submission. We are extremely excited about the potential of the LaserComb as our experience since the1980s has clearly demonstrated a very effective treatment for hair with a high degree of user satisfaction. Our company agenda is to qualify the HairMax LaserComb as an attractive, affordable and user friendly treatment.

We budgeted a significant amount of funds and proceeded as professionally as possible. We strategically pursued the following tasks.

-We hired a world authority on hair loss Dr. Martin Unger to coordinate the clinical trail
-We wrote a comprehensive trial Protocol and presented it to a research ethics committee known as an IRB (Institutional Review Board)
-We contracted with a leading laser research center with 2 clinical investigators.
-We hired a Biostatistician to design the statistical model.
-We hired an experienced FDA Consultant to communicate with the FDA and assist with our compliance
-We presented a Pre-Ide directly to the FDA for their comments and guidance.
-We finalized the 510k submission and had formal panel review.

FDA Clearance of New devices and new ‘indications of use’ is an in-depth process with many factors considered. Once the submission is lodged they have 90 days for their comments and every time they ask a question another 90 day clock begins. A 510K submission assumes that there are ‘predicate device’ and ours was submitted on the basis of there being substantial equivalence of other light based devices (non hair related) in the market.

At this stage the FDA has stated that they have not found other predicated devices cleared for 510k acceptance, they suggested that we need a ‘De Novo’ filing. They also requested a second phase study for OTC use from a further research site. It is common for the FDA to make this request especially for devices with new indications of use. This does not take away any merit of the strength and statistical significance of the clinical data we presented.

Since our clinical results were statistically significant and superior to any other product on the market we thought we would have clearance on our first attempt.

We are continuing in our communications with the FDA to qualify each and every one of their requirements, beyond any reasonable doubt, and will continue and proceed with additional studies.

As we hope everyone could appreciate FDA approvals and device clearance take years and require extensive scientific data, comprehensive FDA compliance documents and regulatory advisors to present a strong submission. Most rulings are through a panel decision with some variables based on objective and subjective information.

As one of the Directors at Lexington International LLC, the developers of the LaserComb, who managed the process of the FDA submission I can state that we have great confidence in the HairMax LaserComb and the clinical results. We are continuing our scientific studies and submissions until we receive market clearance for additional claims.

I only wish the process was less cumbersome and the tasks for clearance easier to define. In the meantime we will find out what the legalities are of publishing the clinical data on this site.

Stay tuned……

Best regards,

David Michaels
Managing Director

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a few months before I joined HairLossTalk.com I emailed them and asked them a few questions. I will have to see if I still have it. I distinctly remember them saying however, when I questioned them about DHT and how the comb removes it, they responded by saying since it increases blood circulation that it allows the DHT to be carried away.
From all logic learned about male pattern baldness this statement is def not accurate. Increasing circulation will do nothing to cure male pattern baldness and that circulation is not the culprit for male pattern baldness.