Thoughts on my progress? PICS

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm coming up to my third month on the big three. I was definitely thinning at the frontal region of my head, at my temples and at the crown. The thinning at the temples and front is (I think) barely visible anymore, but my crown is a little bit worrisome... My brother who's been on for 2 years kind of had the same result. Excellent improvement over diffuse thinning, but still a thin spot at the crown. This seems a bit strange to me since the treatment is supposed to be more successful at the vertex than at the frontal areas. Anyway, pics below for comparison. Apologies for the variation in lighting, the lightbulbs in my house are energy saving (a bit dim) so I used daylight, and seasonal variation doesn't help consistency! I'm going to try to keep the lighting more consistent for my 6 month comparison.

The first 2 pics are my temples about 2 months ago, I think there's been a significant improvement here. The third and 4th pics are the top of my head, I reall can't teel if my vertex area is better or worse. In the last pic I'm holding my hair flat against my head which shows my thin spot at my vertex, it normally isn't very visible thankfully, but if my hair is flattened or wet it becomes more apparent..

Oh, and apologies in advance for the terrible skin flakes!. They're white, dry and big, my scalp doesn't feel oily, I'm using nizoral 2-3 times a week, but this dandruff is getting worse!

DSCF3142.jpgDSCF3140.jpgDSCF2795.jpgDSCF2830.jpgDSCF3298.jpgDSCF3299.jpgDSCF3327.jpgDSCF3337.jpg

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like solid regrowth on the temples and front area, especially considering those are the areas that are the hardest to regrow and maintain. As for the crown, I wouldn't worry yet. The difference between months 3 and 4 was like night and day for my crown.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man, hope my crown pickss up in the 4th months too! Even if it doesn't, I'm pretty happy with the improvement in thickness at the front and temples, and with my hair length, you can't really tell I have a bald/thin spot most of the time because of the layers of hair going over it. Even if I just maintain from here, I'll be happy, but if my crown improves too, well then that would just be amazing!

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, which could be exacerbating the hair loss.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I caught it fairly early, so the thinning hadn't progressed too far. My parting became a bit wider, my temples and the areas right behind them notably thinner, and my vertex a bit thinner, but my hairline and most of my head were more or less ok. I'm satisfied with the thickness of my hair and very happy with the thickening/regrowth at the temples. I'm even noticing new growth of that kind of spike below my temples, never had that before! If my crown thickens up a bit I'll be over the moon!

Neither my GP nor the hairloss doctor I saw mentioned sebhoric dermititis, I've always had flaky skin on my scalp, eyebrows and redness at the side of my nose, so I suspect you are right... Is nizoral any good for treating this or should I try something else?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow! very impressive! Good on you!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man! If nothing else, this is proof that minoxidil and finasteride CAN regrow/thicken recession at the temples. Very happy with that. Comparing the 1st pic and 6th pic, or the 2nd pic and 5th pic, there has been some quite significant regrowth/thickening. It's a pain in the *** applying minoxidil every day (once a day usually) but it's worth it! Plus no finasteride sides whatsoever.

JaySizzle

Established Member
Reaction score
i think people who experience rapid hair loss and get on finasteride, would experience better results as the follicle is still salvageable. If someone has had slow progressing hair loss, over the course of years, and try to restore their hair from years before, the likelihood of their follicles being active are slim to none. but yea.. I guess the thing is to get on finasteride ASAP, and results will be satisfying.