Three months on finasteride need some advice

giannis

Reaction score
I rarely post but i visit this site alot.I am slowly thining in temples from the age of 20. I am 24 and i have been on finasteride for three months and my hair is getting thinner at the temples and front its pretty bad now. I know finasteride dosnt work on the front very well but this is a sick joke I started finasteride to maintain my hair i was not hoping for regrowth or thickening but the opposite happened. I went from thining temples to diffuse thining on the whole front area in such a little time.My hair fall has increased since starting finasteride and i am lossing hairs from the side and back of head which i dont know if its normal. i really dont know if its a shed or i am loosing these hair for good. Also since starting i notice my libido increased a little but stabilized and i noticed now that my hands became a little hairier but i dont know if its from finasteride or because i am gettting older (24). So should i quit or ride it out until month 6 ; I am afraid i am speeding up my baldness.

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
Using a little logic...

finasteride combats DHT... DHT causes hairloss therefore, regardless whether your crown or temples, if there is DHT present, it should effect these areas... it also depends on the length of time the hairs have been miniaturizing I'm sure. I'd say stick with it, it could just be the typical shed some experience. I'd also suggest adding minoxidil foam... that's all I currently use at the moment while waiting on finasteride to arrive, but I have experienced no side effects after a month of usage and I think it would help your situation.

giannis

Reaction score
Da crow thanks for the post. I know dht is the enemy here but i saw others too whose hair became worse after some months on propecia or dutasteride and not improving. So whats the deal? i am sure its not normal . i recently read about reflex hyperdrogenecity and androgen upregulation with the use of finasteride and i am worried if this is the case. I was planning to use it up to 6 months and report back here if things changed for the best but i really dont know now i am confused. My thinning was only on the corners of hairline but now the whole front is bad :woot: (English is not my native language)

giannis

Reaction score
Can anyone please shed some light here ? Is it a bad sign that my arms got hairier on finasteride and some vellus hair on my shoulder got thicker longer. i just dont believe its a coincidence. Also is it normal to shed hair from the back and sides of your scalp while on finasteride. I never lost hair from there. Last why my shedding doesnt seem to stop after three months and 10 days usage of finasteride instead i am shedding more and more especially in the front? Are all that signs that finasteride wont work for me ; :(

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's causing shedding then it probably is working. It's miniaturisation you should be more worried about.

giannis

Reaction score
Well thats the problem i dont know if its a shed or an acceleration of my male pattern baldness. I loose around 100 hairs a day since starting finasteride.Imagine how much hair i lost during these three months and 10 days.Before finasteride 100 hairs(shedding) just once a year and only 5 -10 hairs maximum everyday. Its funny because i only started finasteride to maintain my hairline (norwood 2 with some thining) but if this continue at this rate i wont have a hairline. Trust me i have no reason to lie, finasteride at the moment is having a negative effect on my frontal hair. This continual shedding thing just dont feel right. I hope more people with my symptoms and more time on finasteride post here c mon guys help

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi giannis
I am in the same boat except I have been on the Big Three for 20 months. As I have mentioned to you on the other thread, my hair has been getting worse and worse since the day one of the treatment and I have had this horrible pain and soreness on my scalp. Anyway nothing has hepled so far and to be honest, I almost gave up. For the last 10 days, I have stopped taking finasteride (1mg) and instead increased Rogain application from once a day to twice a day. I am going to take 0.5mg finasteride today to see if this has any effect on my hair/scalp condition. Strangely enough, scalp pain is not as bad now and almost gone.

giannis

Reaction score
Hmmmm i too had scalp pain/itch on my left temple after starting but it seems to have stop three weeks ago. Strange. Maybe its a good sign you scalp pain stopped after stopping finasteride. i want to start minoxidil too but probably i will wait until 6-7 months on finasteride to reconsider. i am planning using finasteride and minoxidil for 4-5 months and if things dont work well drop finasteride and start spironolactone.Hairloss sucks. Can you please tell me how much hair do you loose everyday and if some of the hair came back after a shed. Also do you use generic finasteride or propecia?