thscott's story

thscott83

Reaction score
I remember first being concerned about hair loss at the age of 14. But then, I was worried about everything. The barber, who was bald himself said, "With this head of hair? No way." A lot has changed. I'm 24.

I've had lightening at the temples, and serious thinning in the center, but the thinning at the crown was the last straw, and I decided that it bothered me enough to do something about it.

The only clue that from my ancestors, that I was prone to male pattern baldness was my mother's father. Every other man in my family has strong hair. My dad practically has a mane. Here is a picture of my grandfather in Italy during WWII.

picgrandpahayden.jpg

He lost a lot of hair later in life, and my mother and their family made fun of him for it.. but he never lost it all, not even during chemotherapy before he died of cancer.

Here is my situation now...

dec2007001.jpg

dec2007002.jpg

It is pretty thin up top, so I just comb it forward and hope for the best. I can be VERY self-conscious, checking mirrors and reflections to make sure that I looked "okay". I was convinced that what I needed was a psychiatrist, and not anything having to do with my hair.

I'm starting the rogaine foam, and we will see how it goes. I can't afford the prescription Propecia.. maybe I can get some advice on a reliable and safe generic. I'm not concerned about shedding. My goal is not to have a full head of hair, but just to look decent, which I think that I do already. I've never had problems getting women, as long as I am self confident. An insecure guy is unattractive to a woman, no matter what his hair pattern.

...and for those who see no hope to their situation... Patrick Stewart gives a great interview about when he lost it all at the age of 19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOK-ZVJMaU

I'll post pictures again in 6 months to a year to check for progress.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your grandfather was a good looking man, he didnt seem to have any hair problem in that pic you provided.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
your grandfather was a good looking man, he didnt seem to have any hair problem in that pic you provided.

Except for a lot of temple recession. The tuft in the centre looks like a semi-combover (pretty usual at that time), which my maternal grandfather sported aswell. I guess it was enough to trick my mother into thinking he had lots of hair... anyway, enough about me :D. So, it looks pretty bad in your pics, lots of thinning and recession. Your situation is kinda similar to mine, although I've been on meds for 1.5 years and have totally straight hair.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41064&st=0

^My pics from a couple of months back.

Sean68

Reaction score
do try and get the generic finasteride mate. theres loads of brands which are all dirt cheap the most popular one being finpecia from inhousephamacy.com.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
ghg said:
RaginDemon said:

Except for a lot of temple recession. The tuft in the centre looks like a semi-combover (pretty usual at that time), which my maternal grandfather sported aswell. I guess it was enough to trick my mother into thinking he had lots of hair... anyway, enough about me :D. So, it looks pretty bad in your pics, lots of thinning and recession. Your situation is kinda similar to mine, although I've been on meds for 1.5 years and have totally straight hair.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41064&st=0

^My pics from a couple of months back.

are you still on dutasteride?

G

RaginDemon said:

I disagree. The grandfather is doing that side sweep where he covers up the temples by pushing that forelock over. If he combed his hair back, I think he'd show some solid temple recession, about an NW3.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing I notice about every white guy's balding, the forehead. The forehead always has noticeable wrinkles, almost to the point of looking like the skin is unhealthy. Anyone else notice this? Because when I look in the mirror the first thing I notice is the wrinkling in the forehead being more prevalent than it ever was and then my thinning hair.

G

slowburn said:
One thing I notice about every white guy's balding, the forehead. The forehead always has noticeable wrinkles, almost to the point of looking like the skin is unhealthy. Anyone else notice this? Because when I look in the mirror the first thing I notice is the wrinkling in the forehead being more prevalent than it ever was and then my thinning hair.

this is just my stupid theory, but people probably don't put as much sunscreen on their forehead as they should, so perhaps those areas get burned and wrinkle faster.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
JayMan said:
slowburn said:

this is just my stupid theory, but people probably don't put as much sunscreen on their forehead as they should, so perhaps those areas get burned and wrinkle faster.

Yeah you can see that he's receded in the sides too, so it's not a NW2 anymore. Anyway, Ragin... I've never been on dutasteride, I couldn't afford it and if finasteride is giving me man tittays what about dutasteride then? :D

RaginDemon

Reaction score
have you decided if you are going to stay on finasteride?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

I haven't completely quit finasteride no, so atm I am staying.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
ghg said:
RaginDemon said:

I haven't completely quit finasteride no, so atm I am staying.

I see, hope your hair get better and your gyno goes away.