Tian's story - (21 years old, working to maintain)

TianCross

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Like most people I have been visiting this site for almost a year now without doing anything about my hair but now I think it’s time to act. Although it isn’t too noticeable I’m definitely starting to recede around the temples and at the crown. It’s been a relatively slow process but I think the best thing to do would be to take preventative measures.

I’m 21now and have shoulder length hair so when it is down it isn’t noticeable. However when I tie it up it becomes noticeable - especially to me! Obviously everyone here knows how depressing the thought of losing your hair is, especially at a relatively early age. My dad started to lose his hair at about 40 so it’s quite depressing that I’ve started already. I assume I must have got the male pattern baldness from my mother’s side.

I’m thinking about trying the Regaine foam and applying it to my temples. All I really want to do is maintain as my hairline isn’t that high at the moment. However I’m worried that, after a point, Regaine will stop working. Hence the probable need to take a DHT blocker. Here is my second worry. I really don’t like the sound of the side effects (such as erectile problems etc) and wonder if it is worth going through all the hassle? I could do with some advice on what one is the best to take and what one has the least side effects. Also is revivogen any good? That appears to be a DHT reducer without the sides… Essentially I’d like to have some advice on maintaining around an Norwood 2.

Cheers guys,

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey, yeah sucks at a young age. I started losing around 24. Dad started at around 40 too.

Well, there are topical DHT blockers such as spironolactone cream and fluridil that definitely won't give you any sides. Research those a bit. Nizoral shampoo is a mild DHT blocker too which is cheap and easy.

However, I recommend that you give finasteride a try. I'm on it and despite being hesitant like you in the beginning, I have had no side effects at all. Most people don't. Just try it for a few weeks, and if you feel that you're getting side effects just quit it and try something else. The sides will stop soon after.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I agree with flimflam, finasteride will most likely help you maintain what you have and very likely thicken your exsiting hair.

I know your probabily scared of the sides, but don't let those naive amatures stop you, the sides are not as bad as some of them described, some of them are just too pussy to live their lives with male pattern baldness. They will cry a river when they experience the mildest side affect.

TianCross

Reaction score
Cheers guys - I'm going to do a bit more research before I take the plunge! Revivogen is looking good though.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
TianCross said:
Cheers guys - I'm going to do a bit more research before I take the plunge! Revivogen is looking good though.

Your welcome and take your time.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 22, started propecia at 19.

It kept my hairline, but lots of hairs were thinning so I started rogaine Foam 3 months ago.

I think I have good early results.

Although, I would advice you to start propecia alone at first and see what it does.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
recognition2 said:
I'm 22, started propecia at 19.

It kept my hairline, but lots of hairs were thinning so I started rogaine Foam 3 months ago.

I think I have good early results.

Although, I would advice you to start propecia alone at first and see what it does.

so your hair keeps thinning while your on finasteride?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
a shampoo is an assistance in fighting male pattern baldness, it's not attacking the problem from its root.

TianCross

Reaction score
Right I thought I would update - I've been on finasteride for about two months now. I haven't hadany sexual sides apart from an INcrease in libido whch isn't a bad thing in my eyes considering the worry some people have. I was also using Rogaine foam on my hairline by decided to stop after I couldn't see any immediate progress. I know the advice is to stick with it but I want to measure the effects of finasteride for at least 6 months to a year before I use Rogaine permenantly. I'm thinking I can save it and add it to my arsenal when I really need it.

As for my hair... I've definately shed some along the hairline - seemingly the weak hairs that were thinning out. My temples have receeded and now I have a definately defined Nw2. Now I'm hoping that continued use will now maintain after the shed...

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi , i am in the same boat as u

i have shed and my hairline is more receeded now , are you sure that it is just a shed and the hairline that have receeded will come back lower ?

I am afraid finasteride will sort of put you in a mature hairline and maintain it at that stage and i definitely dont want that

TianCross

Reaction score
I think the shed that comes with finasteride is the hair follicles that are worst affected by dht 'renewing' themselves. TO be honest if I could maintain a mature hairline I would be happy - I just don't want to recede any further than I have at the minute. If you wanted to get to the stage where your hairline was the same as it was before you started receding then I would suggets minoxidil but I don't want to have to apply that for the rest of my life... I think it also depends on how long it has been since you first started receding....

Hope that helps.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Shedding should be a good sign as long as you see hair coming back a little thicker after each shed.