Tight Scalp, Inflammation And Hair Loss - Thoughts

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI All,

I was just thinking about inflammation and it effect on hair loss. This has been milling about my head for a few months now.... Over the years I've been leaning more towards a paleo diet, having been turned on to it by reading Wheat Belly back in 2012.

While I still eat rice, and other starchy foods, I effectively avoid wheat and sugar (only drink water, no juice). Not to mention after doing an elimination diet of 8 weeks, Ive isolated wheat as giving me stomach pain, gas, bloating and diarrhea. Since eliminating wheat, I dont have these issues at all anymore. Otherwise, the whole premise behind wheat belly and the paleo movement, is that high carb diets spike your insulin. Your insulin goes to work and stores sugar in your system into fat. Our modern diet, has our insulin spiking over and over throughout the day, which our bodies were never meant to consume a high carb diet. Not only does this contribute to belly fat, and obesity, but this constant spiking of insulin also causes inflammation. Wheat Belly goes on to suggest that much of our disease can be linked to inflammation rather than any other cause - (the incidence of heart disease, cancer etc have all increased significantly over the past few decades).

From another perspective, look at statin drugs, which everyone knows as anti cholesterol medication. Nowadays, pharma's are starting to market statins as anti inflammatory drugs rather than anti cholesterol, as cholesterol is now being seen as more of an indicator than a cause of heart disease. That said if you avoid the insulin roller coasters (lower carb diets) instead of taking a statin meds, Ive read countless accounts that people's blood results for LDL/HDL/Triglycerides and cholesterol all significantly improves to that of a very healthy person. Not to mention they lose tons of weight too. This happened to my friend. And while i dont have any heart issues, I weigh 25lbs less than my max 2 years ago - im trim and fit weighing 143 lbs at 5'7" and 39 years old.

With this in mind, I think about my itchy, inflamed scalp. While it's been under control thanks to using zix, I also wonder if if lowering inflammation further might stimulate my scalp to be less tight and have more blood flowing to it (better environment for my hair to grow). Maybe thats also why some say scalp massages help with hair loss, as your scalp is more relaxed and more blood flows to it.

Additionally, I have been taking magnesium for the past week or so. It's known to be anti-inflammatory, and Ive noticed some good effects, such as more relaxed muscles and my scalp feels less tight as well. I also take vitamin d3 in the winter which i am starting again as it's november, which is also anti inflammatory. Here's an article I came across, that adds some credibility to the whole idea:

http://www.worldhairloss.org/index.php/hairloss/page2-newsarticles/magnesium_oil_for_hair_loss

At this point I am not noticing any bad shedding, it seems very reasonable, and potentially a little better over the past few days since Ive started magnesium. It's too early to tell, but maybe some food for thought.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ill ofc keep you guys updated.