Tightness in the Scalp Post Surgery (12 days)

hawk001

Reaction score
Tightness in the Scalp Post Surgery

I have had a surgery (mega session) 5700 grafts, 12 days back.

Since the surgery, the donor area has been very tight and now I feel very tight all over the scalp, as if I am wearing thousands of rubber bands on my hair.

Generally the tightness increases during the night time, when I am trying to sleep. Post surgery, I haven’t been able to have a good sleep as I cannot sleep on my back due to sensitivity and pain in the donor area (scar) and tightness in the neck area.

Is this a normal thing? I was wondering when the tightness would go away as it really feels very awkward and sometimes scary.

I hope nothing has gone wrong in the surgery and if this would go away when the donor wound heals.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Petchsky

Reaction score
Re: Tightness in the Scalp Post Surgery

Speak to your doctor.... Do you still have the staples in? I've heard of tightness persisting in the donor area for a while, but not where it becomes painful to the point of needing painkillers.

Where did you get the work carried out?

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Tightness in the Scalp Post Surgery

You can get tightness, swelling, and even numbness after a hair transplant.

hawk001

Reaction score
My staples were removed 7 days post surgery. As per Dr. Hasson, the healing was amazing in the donor area. But I had been complaining of the tightness ever since the surgery. I am still taking pain killers (since last 12 days) as the scalp gets too tight when I am on bed and trying to sleep; the donor area hurts too. I just cannot sleep on my back and keep turning sides all night long. I am worried when the tighness will go away or lessen.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a hernia surgery 3 years ago and I still have occasional tightness in my scar area.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Well, you used a top class H/T Dr, so i would definitely give him a call.

You had a big session and i'm sure everything is okay, normally people leave their staples for 10 days, but probably differs with different doctors, if i were you i would gently massage the donor and apply some aloe vera gel or something that will help the healing process.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Tightness is totally normal especialy after a big H&W session. Dont worry your scalp will soon sort itself out. You'll probably be fine in a week or so, trust me I've had 5 strips !!!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had tighness and numbness up to 12 months post of of just 1k grafts just past 24 months and it feels fine.

7 days is early to remove staples. I have never heard of that before and such a large procedure to boot.

hawk001

Reaction score
My Doctor was surprised too as my donor area healed so fast. There was no bleeding or anything after the staples were removed. 5 weeks post surgery, I feel better and the tightness has largely reduced. I started exercising one week back and feel better with every passing day.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Good to hear hawk, thanks for coming back and saying so.