Tim's Story - (possible Telogen Effluvium)

G

hey. some of you guys might remember me from back in july. back then, i had a bit of a bout with Telogen Effluvium, i was probably losing about 150-300 hairs a day for about a month straight. I have thin hair as it is, so as you can imagine, it definitely thinned out a bit. under recomendation, i used rogaine to speed up the whole process a bit. by the end of july, my shedding had completely tapered off and by the time school started, my hair seemed just about back to it's normal thickness. recently, i have found myself starting to shed a little bit again. nothing major, but picking up a hair or two every so often when i run my hands through my hair. i know its nothing major, but after really not shedding for a while, its kind of making me nervous. for about 2 weeks i dismissed it as nothing, untill recently, i feel like my hair is starting to thin out a bit. i'm not really sure why that is, sometimes i think i'm just losing it and convincing myself that its thinner, it also might be the thinner areas still recovering from the Telogen Effluvium that are starting to show a bit more as my hair is getting longer. my hair is thin to begin with, and now that its long, its really hard to tell if certain area are thinner than others or not. no one else seems to notice. soooooooo what do you guys think? am i going crazy or should i go back on the foam? sorry i don't have a digital camera so i can't post pictures. i'll go on an album real quick and see if i can find something recent.

thanks!
tim.

bushman19

Reaction score
Re: Yeah, I'm back. I don't know if I'm going crazy or what.

if u grew your hair back with the help of foam u have to stick with it or else you will lose everything u gained

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Maybe it wasn't Telogen Effluvium all alone.

G

i read up on a Telogen Effluvium website that since it is only a temporary contdition, if you use rogaine, you can stop. and again, it might possibly be male pattern baldness, but i'm not positive. the shedding i expirienced was all around and not exclusive to the male pattern baldness zones. in fact, my hairline is completely fine, its just certain thin areas near the top. and i don't know if its actually thinner, or i'm crazy and just convincing myself it is due to a increase of shedding over the past week or so.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

People have told you it might be male pattern baldness and you were so sure it was Telogen Effluvium, and here is the outcome.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score

bushman19 said:
if u grew your hair back with the help of foam u have to stick with it or else you will lose everything u gained

This is true with male pattern baldness. It's not true for Telogen Effluvium as minoxidil may shorten the telogen phase of otherwise healthy follicles.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

retropunk said:
bushman19 said:

This is true with male pattern baldness. It's not true for Telogen Effluvium as minoxidil may shorten the telogen phase of otherwise healthy follicles.

:agree:

G

Re: Tim's Story - (possible Telogen Effluvium) *updated with new pic.

ok guys, here it is as of now. what do you think?
13.jpg

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
yo man. hows it goin?

i think u had like a minoxidil shed from stopping the stuff. i duno if itll grow back with out it like. that stuff really kills ur hair if u stop, makes u shed like crazy. so i think u mite have a bita slow male pattern baldness but the fact u used minoxidil and stopped sorta sped it up.

look at this guys photos wen he stopped. not nice viewing but he got a load back from gettin back on minoxidil. propecia would help too

we live similar lifestyles. its cool haha im in ireland tho

peessss man :&: :&: :&: :&: :&:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
where is the base line pic?

G

RaginDemon said:
where is the base line pic?
if by baseline, you mean my hairline, my hairline is completely fine, it's more of a diffuse thing on the top of my head. now here's the question, should i go back on minoxidil, or wait it out for a little and see what happens? remember, I also had Telogen Effluvium over the summer where i was shedding 200-300 hairs a day for about 2 weeks, then 100-150 for about another 3 weeks, and usually Telogen Effluvium takes about a year to fully recover. what do you guys think i should do?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
dude, many have told you that it might be male pattern baldness, not Telogen Effluvium.

G

i know. which is why i'm trying to figure it out. put in my situation, what would you do? The hairs that seem to be falling out now are longer, not the ones that would have grown back with the rogaine, because they wouldn't be at this legnth yet. there is no doubt in my mind that i had Telogen Effluvium, i'm just thinking now it might be a combination with male pattern baldness, or it could be a shed brought on by something esle. i'm not denying the idea that i might have male pattern baldness, but i want to make sure before i start getting into a hardcore male pattern baldness regiment and possibly cause more unneccessary sheds. at the same time, if this is male pattern baldness for sure, i'd like to know for a fact now so i can hit up treatments early. propecia isn't an option for me since i don't have health insurance and i'm on a college student budget. so i'm trying to figure out exactly where i should go from here. suggestions?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Your case is a bit tough since you dont have temple recessions and your thinning is rather diffusive...it's really hard to tell if its Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness.

How long has it been since you first noticed hair loss? If its been a while, then it might be more likely to be male pattern baldness than Telogen Effluvium.

G

first hairloss was noted in the second week of june, in which one day my hir just started falling out at around 200-300 a day. this had tapered off in mid july, and by august, I was completely shed free. after the shedding had completely stopped and i ran out of foam, i decided the Telogen Effluvium was done, and didn't really need to use it anymore. my hair was a bit shorter then, but it did look a bit thinner than before, thought it is hard to tell since i cut my hair short and i'm used to it long, and my hair is very thin to begin with. my hair was fine and grew back to its normal legnth. in november, I noticed a small amount of loss, nothing huge, but just enough to scare me as i was used to not losing any hairs a day, to now losing maybe 20-50, and i'm not really sure if my hair is thinner than it was before or just now as it is growing in longer just looks thinner.
here is a pic from about a year ago before i had any problems, and you can still see how thin it is.

Clipboard01.gif

hairforce9

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, my hairloss started from a stress related incident. I remember the shock my body went through after the stressful incident and then all of a sudden i noticed alot of shedding in the shower. I did alot of research on Telogen Effluvium and all my symptoms agreed with the signs of Telogen Effluvium. I decided to wait it out, as ur suppose to recover from Telogen Effluvium through time. A year later nothing really changed, my hair was still thin and i was shedding quite a bit, to be fair i should mention that i didnt really get over the stress until like 7 months ago but even now my hair is still thin. I did more reseach and i found that Telogen Effluvium can trigger male pattern baldness or you may only recover 70-80% of the hair lost though Telogen Effluvium.

there is a high chance u have male pattern baldness. From the looks of the last pic ur posted that looks like male pattern baldness in the crown. and from my experiece i wouldnt wait too long before trying the hair meds. if rogaine stopped ur shedding y would u discontinue applying it?

G

so what do you guys suggest? should i dive right in, or wait a little?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
TIM for congress. said:
so what do you guys suggest? should i dive right in, or wait a little?

Telogen Effluvium and horome imbalance can both trigger male pattern baldness...from your last pic, I think you might have male pattern baldness due to crown thinning.

I personally would suggest you to get on finasteride, at this stage, you dont really need minoxidil yet. GL brotha.

G

yeah but the thing is, that pic was taken before i started shedding. and to my knowledge, that has been like that as long as i can remember, i just have really thin hair naturally. on the other hand, do you know where i can get some really cheap finasteride? propecia is out of the question because i don't have health insurance, am a college student with no money, and certainly can't afford paying for it, let alone going to a doctor to get a perscription.