Tips for caring for donor area?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Any tips for caring for the donor area? I am now six days post-op. I have been gently washing with shampoo. That is all my Doctor told me to do. I am supposed to return next week for him to look at the donor area. Is there any thing you guys do to help the process during this early stage or do you wait until the sutures are removed?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Not much you can do just try and keep the area clean.

theanimator

Reaction score
Question: How long did your Doctor say you had to wait before your sutures were to be removed?

I've heard from many doctors that 7 days to best... too few and the wound isn't shut..too many and you risk having a scar from the sutures.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I am supposed to return next week (week two) to have the doctor look at the suture line. The sutures are supposed to dissolve natually between 14-21 days.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I've had dissolvable sutures before and they never do. With staples/sutures most docs recommend 10 -14 days.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this procedure will be successful anyway, but if I choose to have another procedure, I am definitely looking into the FUE method, especially since by then I'll hopefully have a pretty good coverage. These sutures suck.