TJ1154's story

TJ1154

Reaction score
Hello,

I really enjoy the site from what I can see is available.

Late 20s gentleman who has been on 0.5 milligrams of dutasteride/day since early 20s. Never took finasteride, wanted to pull out the big guns ASAP.

First noticed hair loss inearly 20s, and ordered dutasteride within a month of noticing that I could see scalp through my hair when I was brushing it in the bathroom. Looked in the mirror after I noticed that my comb was covered in hair, more than I imagined was typical. After having been on the dutasteride for this time, it is possible that I might have gotten a bit of regrowth from the dutasteride, but I doubt it. It has definitely maintained my hair for the entire time I have been on it, however, so that's really all I can ask for. Unfortunately do not have baseline pics from when I started dutasteride to compare to the pics I am attaching below (hard drive failed last year and like an idiot, I never backed up), but physician takes hair density measurements at 7-8 different locations on scalp once a year, and he's certain that I haven't lost any hair since starting the medication. I am hopeful that my hair can be maintained for a long time, but my physician tells me that I will probably start to thin out in the next couple of years or so. I am praying to God that this does not happen. He hasn't answered me yet ;), but he probably has more important things tying him up. I figure that if I can get God on my side in the hair loss battle.

Family history of hairloss:

Father NW6ish (hair loss started in early 20s, but regular male pattern baldness pattern)
Brother NW2ish diffuse (hair loss started at age 19, similar pattern to mine)
Paternal grandfather NW6 (hair loss started in early 20s, but regular male pattern baldness pattern)
Maternal grandfather started balding in retirement, is now a diffuse NW4A at 90.
Maternal uncle started thinning out starting at age 50, is now a diffuse NW3 at 59.
Me: NW2ish diffuse? Happen to think I'm NW2 at least. Maybe not quite there. Not sure if the Norwood scale of hair loss patterns really applies to people with diffuse alopecia anyway.

Strongly considering adding Rogaine foam twice a day as well as Nizoral 1% shampoo 3-4x per week. Have used Nizoral few times in the past and tolerate it rather well, and would be adding it because a couple studies showed that it can regrow hair. But re Rogaine foam: Because my balding is in a diffuse NW6 pattern, I would need to use more than the recommended half a capful of foam for application. I would probably need to use a full capful per application, because I'd have to cover the area starting from directly behind my hairline all the way back to the vertex. Sides and back are quite thick and I believe them to have strong density, similar to NW5/NW6 with strong donor, but I'd have to put the foam on a much larger area than the average person. My physician thinks that I have a decent chance of responding to it because the dutasteride has held my hair and because I don't have any slick bald areas. This will make it tougher for me to get the foam into the scalp, but he thinks that if I'm diligent in applying it twice a day, I could see some strong results after 4-6 months. I am interested to hear what everyone on here thinks about whether diffuse thinners can benefit from Rogaine. Good idea? Bad idea? Is it possible that the Rogaine foam could cause my existing hairs on top to fall out and never return? My physician didn't think this is possible but I have heard some horror stories. I can deal with a shed when starting the Rogaine but only if it is temporary; I don't want to end up worse off from it.

Photographic flash makes hair look worse and so does having the bathroom light directly shining on it. Hair looks okay in the daytime, and I do not think most people can tell that I am balding if I am in natural light or normal indoor lighting (unless the light is shining directly on it). I swim a lot, however, and when the hair gets wet, hair clumps together and looks very thin. Generally keep my hair dry because I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have lost hair, and I keep it relatively short (2.5 inches on top, 1.25-1.5 inches on sides and back as shown in the photos) to camouflage it. I cannot use gel or any product in my hair because my hair density is not good enough on top to support it, and my hair is dark and very fine in texture. Have used concealers before but have not used them in a few years because they're a pain and when it rains outside, it washes out and makes my forehead dirty. My hairline has not receded since I started taking dutasteride capsules. It is somewhere in between a juvenile hairline and a mature hairline, in my opinion. I took measurements of my hairlineand they are roughly the same from when I started dutasteride: the hairline center is located approximately 2.1 inches above my eyebrows, while the right temple and left temple are located approximately 2.3 inches and 2.6 inches above the eyebrows, respectively.

Anyway, I have attached some photos. Pics were taken under my bathroom light with flash. Half the pics are taken with wet hair (and labeled as such), and half the pics were taken with dry hair.

As I mentioned, my physician thinks my hair will start to thin out in the next year or two and that I will be very noticeably bald (NW5 or so) in the next 5 years. This is a bit scary to me, but I have maintained my hair so far, and I am praying to God that this is not the case.

Have looked at rogaine foam as an option, nizoral, and transplants (although have been told by a surgeon that I am a poor candidate due to the diffused nature of my hair loss). Would just love to thicken up the hair a bit if possible to get better coverage and have different types of haircuts available to me.

Attachments

• BrightInsideLightWithFlash8.jpg
    BrightInsideLightWithFlash8.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 626
  • BrightInsideLightWithFlash10.jpg
    BrightInsideLightWithFlash10.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 571
  • BrightInsideLightWithFlash11.jpg
    BrightInsideLightWithFlash11.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 611
  • BrightInsideLightWithFlash13.jpg
    BrightInsideLightWithFlash13.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 579
  • WetMessedUpHairTop-W800.jpg
    WetMessedUpHairTop-W800.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,433
  • WetHairMessedupMidScalp-W800.jpg
    WetHairMessedupMidScalp-W800.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 612
  • WetHairSlickedBackTop-W800.jpg
    WetHairSlickedBackTop-W800.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 664
  • WetHairBackOfHead-W800.jpg
    WetHairBackOfHead-W800.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 653

palgato

Reaction score
Nice post! The usual thing is hairline receding which is not your case. When you comb your hair the alopecia is slightly noticed, but when you ruffle it, is clear you have diffuse-genetic-alopecia, because this type of alopecia (diffused) could have some other causes.

I don't think the transplant is not an option for you, I have seen good doctors transplanting hair to much worst cases; but surely would be more expensive because more hair + money. Maybe you are a little bit desperate, you still have enough hair, so using Minoxidil depends on you, I mean if you think it's time...that depends more on your feelings than the aesthetic. If you decide to try Minoxidil, baby hairs would start growing on your diffuseness, but just some of them would be adult after 6 months of a year; this new hair is artificial because depends on Minoxidil; and if you quit Minoxidil afterwards, this hair would fall along with some of your natural hair; but after some time the natural hair should grow up.

In cases like yours a visible and temporary shedding is expected using Rogaine or any other Minoxidil.

As you know finasteride is more usal than dutasteride, I think genetic determines which is better for you; same way your genetic will say if you are a Minoxidil guy or not. I'd wait more time for minoxidil in your case, but that also depends on your hair loss progression (how fast have you lost hair through time)...Also some vitamins could help a little bit, for instance brewer's yeast pills is a nice complement.

bye ;)

TJ1154

Reaction score
Nice post! The usual thing is hairline receding which is not your case. When you comb your hair the alopecia is slightly noticed, but when you ruffle it, is clear you have diffuse-genetic-alopecia, because this type of alopecia (diffused) could have some other causes.

Thanks for the response. :) When it is dry, even when messed up, it doesn't show too much scalp. It is only when it wet that the hair clumps and it shows. The messed up pictures I attached to the original post are of my hair when it is soaked with water.

I don't think the transplant is not an option for you, I have seen good doctors transplanting hair to much worst cases; but surely would be more expensive because more hair + money. Maybe you are a little bit desperate, you still have enough hair, so using Minoxidil depends on you, I mean if you think it's time...that depends more on your feelings than the aesthetic. If you decide to try Minoxidil, baby hairs would start growing on your diffuseness, but just some of them would be adult after 6 months of a year; this new hair is artificial because depends on Minoxidil; and if you quit Minoxidil afterwards, this hair would fall along with some of your natural hair; but after some time the natural hair should grow up.

In cases like yours a visible and temporary shedding is expected using Rogaine or any other Minoxidil.

You say you've seen good doctors transplanting hair to much worse cases, but isn't it easier for docs to transplant hair to people that are worse off than I am because they don't have to deal with as much native hair? I wouldn't say I'm desperate, but if a transplant is safe to get, I will consider it. I don't want to have a transplant and end up worse off then I already am. It would have to be a doctor that has had good success transplanting hair onto diffuse thinners with hair loss level similar to mine. Are you saying that for me to get a transplant would be very expensive because I would have to have a lot of grafts? I was hoping that I wouldn't actually need a huge amount of grafts.

I agree with you that minoxidil is for life. If I get regrowth from it and am happy with it, I have to continue it for life. If I'm not happy with the regrowth from minoxidil or if I don't get any from it, I would certainly stop using it. The shedding is not a problem.

As you know finasteride is more usal than dutasteride, I think genetic determines which is better for you; same way your genetic will say if you are a Minoxidil guy or not. I'd wait more time for minoxidil in your case, but that also depends on your hair loss progression (how fast have you lost hair through time)...Also some vitamins could help a little bit, for instance brewer's yeast pills is a nice complement.

bye ;)

Do you mean some people respond better to finasteride than dutasteride, even though dutasteride is stronger? I have heard that this is the case for a few genotypes, but I don't think it would be wise for me to switch to finasteride ( a weaker medication) to see if it will work for me. If dutasteride is holding hair that the finasteride would be unable to hold, I will get more bald. Regarding my hair loss progression, I haven't lost any hair since starting dutasteride, so I'm not sure what you mean by how fast I lost hair. I started dutasteride within a month of first noticing my hair loss, and it has kept my hairline from receding as well as from losing any of the hair behind it.