To minoxidil or not ... THAT is the question.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I am roughly a Norwood 3 vertex. 3 weeks ago I started on the "Big 3" with the idea that I will maximize my chances for retention + regrowth.

But I've been thinking ...

If after 6 - 24 months I succeed in retaining + regrowing hair, how will I know what the relative contribution of minoxidil was? Obviously I won't. Now I'm thinking I should stop the minoxidil and see what results I get with the finasteride + nizoral. If it works satisfactorily, I can avoid a lifetime of 2X/day of minoxidil. If not, I always will have the option of adding the minoxidil +/- a transplant later.

What do you guys think?

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been debating this issue myself. The one problem I can see with waiting is the fact that Rogaine says you're better off using minoxidil as soon as possible, so that the hairs that have minaturized are in that state for as little time as possible.

Otherwise waiting would seem the way to go. Although you're actual regrowth chances are so much lower without minoxidil so it also depends on how bad you want that.

misterium

Reaction score
I used minoxidil 5% (rogaine) for about 3 - 4 bottles worth. I found PPG was way too irritating.. so I stopped using it a few weeks back.

I'm going to keep it out of my regimine until I see how I respond to Propecia (about 2 months on it).

Then if need be, I'll get a PPG free version of minoxidil.

I am a vertex/crown thinner. No visible bald spots, just thinning which sucks.

-Mike

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm also a vertex thinner. I agree that it's got to be preferable to wait before trying minoxiidil to see if it's absolutely necessary.

It's quite hard to remain patient sometimes (I'm currently 3.5 months in on finasteride), but as you point out it is imperative to know if your regrowth is dependant on minoxidil or not.

As for the comment about starting minoxidil as early as possible, I don't think that is especially relevent to those on finasteride as well. Just be patient and hold out for the finasteride benefits to show, you can always sign up for a lifetime's slavery to minoxidil later!!

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
AKA said:
As for the comment about starting minoxidil as early as possible, I don't think that is especially relevent to those on finasteride as well.

How so? Just because you maintain what you have with finasteride doesn't mean that the hair follicles no longer producing terminal hairs are better off. I admit I don't understand exactly why minoxidil supposedly works better for recently minaturized follicles, but it definitely makes sense.

This is probably one of those things that's just a matter of opinion though. Hell, they don't even understand exactly how and why minoxidil works to regrow hair when other like medications do no such thing.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, fair point.

Your tempting me on to the minoxidil again.... :roll:

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
In like fashion you tempt me to wait. lol.

I tried minoxidil before just in the front for only a month and it really seemed to be making things worse at the time but it was probably a shed. I kind of just jumped on it because it was the only thing out there I'd heard of and could readily buy. Also it was making my irritation worse- at the time I had pretty pronounced seborhetic dermatitis (sp).

Anyways I really didn't like using it. It's not the much of a pain to apply, it's just the buffer time you need if you don't want people to know you're using it. And to have that, you need to live life in a routine. Always pretty much sleeping in the same place and making sure you get your shower at the right time and always have your minoxidil on hand whenever you leave for more than 18 hours. C'mon guys, that's a lot worse than a toothbrush if you're a young man who gets drunk once in awhile away from home or goes to stay with a lady or travels.

But I've seen some good ideas on here about stealth minoxidil... ie. non-greasy minoxidil from Dr. Lee in a visine dropper. That I can do. Also at this point my crown is actually more noticibly thinned than the front and minoxidil supposedly has the most potential back there so.....

minoxidil here I come

til someone convinces me different