To Speed Up Growth After A Transplant...

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With the imminently looming prospect of the ugly-duclkling phase (now 3 weeks post-op) after a hair transplant, I have been doing my absolute best to keep a diet high in anti-oxidants, avoiding dairy/alcohol/high GI carbs, avoid contact with the transplanted section of scalp, continue with Finasteride+Minoxidil, religiously gently clean the scalp, and continue to take MSM and biotin supplements.
Some believe a regular massage using essential oils could help, although I don't feel this is necessarily the best idea as we have been instructed to be gentle on the grafts and avoid contact.
It has been mentioned somewhere that FAST shampoo reportedly increases growth rates, but it seems anecdotal. I'd personally prefer to continue washing with mild shampoo for a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the only thing that can help the growth after transplant is minoxidil, don't touch your scalp with massage bro avoid contact..

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is all I can think of other than extra-strict diets high on anti-inflammatory foods....
I wish there was more I could do. This strict healthy life style is no fun and I'm dying for an alcoholic drink lol

el_duterino

Reaction score
MSM is what you need and keep on using it for..ever. How much are you using ?

I take 4 grams per day, 2, am and 2 pm it comes in 1g capsules, and add some vitamin C..before the hair transplant MSM did thicken my hair and even fill some gaps on its own. I did not expect that much..pretty amazing stuff if you respond well.

This is a safe and cheap supplement that is a must for male pattern baldness and is underrated.

Also , I take collagen peptides 30g a day, 10 g 3 times per day. Its quite a lot because collagen is poorly absorbed so I need more. It made my skin very smooth and prevents cracks in dry winter climates. No question that it works I never need hand cream or lip cream in winter anymore, Not sure about the effect on hair but should help scalp skin healing.

I don't think topical alcohol (minoxidil) is good for grafts growth, I read a study it can prevent linking the new grafts to new blood vessels so I take oral minoxidil instead, 5 mg day, and finasteride. Started oral minoxidil a week after the hair transplant. No side effects to report.

Do you have more detials on your hair transplant ? FUE ? Which surgeon, grafts..etc..

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@el_duterino Good call on the collagen. I actually take powdered bovine collagen which I add in my oatmeal each morning. Opinions vary as to how they are absorbed...some diet experts think they only act like extra protein (which is still needed for hair growth anyway). I'm glad you are feeling the benefit though!
MSM- I take a 1mg capsule once a day. Perhaps I need to double/triple the dose.
Minoxidil- I felt this was questionable as well, but the clinic that performed the transplant did recommend it after 2 weeks. Minoxidil is a funny thing...it is believed to promote hair growth, yet inhibits collagen! It also is known to cause blood thinning, which I would have thought was counter-productive to new hair, but I guess I'll go with what the clinic recommended.

I did a rather rushed post here about my procedure:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/fut-with-dr-b-sanga-3567-grafts-today.119007/

el_duterino

Reaction score
Yes minoxidil decreases collagen production for sure, my skin looks bad If I use too much, like more fine wrinkles, sagging lower eyelids etc.. even when eating all this 30g of collagen a day but the effect is reversible If I stop minoxidil for a week,

I guess you need a balance, some minoxidil to help hair and the extra collagen will help minimizing the impact for sure .

Saw the pics..nice clean work it will look good.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, balance is definitely the key which is often hard to achieve...it seems like we are running around a circle improving one aspect while making something else worse lol. I'll try to think more about other ways to boost growth with supplements/diet.
Thanks! I do hope made the right decision and hopefully the grafts will grow to a good length with reasonable density.