To the Moderators: how do "Private Messages" actually work?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I had assumed that Private Messages on this site work the same way as ordinary emails; for example, if someone sends you a message, it's there in your inbox forever, or until you delete it yourself! Apparently that's not the case, because a while back somebody sent me a Private Message, and a few days went by before I had a chance to read it; suddenly I got some kind of indication (a separate message, or something) that the sender had deleted the message he had sent me, and oddly enough, it was no longer in my inbox!!

How the hell could such a thing happen?? I had always assumed that once a message arrives in my own inbox, it's up to _me_ to decide what to do with it! How is it that the sender could delete it from my own inbox? Is THAT any way to run a Private Message system?? :shock: :dunno:

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I had assumed that Private Messages on this site work the same way as ordinary emails; for example, if someone sends you a message, it's there in your inbox forever, or until you delete it yourself! Apparently that's not the case, because a while back somebody sent me a Private Message, and a few days went by before I had a chance to read it; suddenly I got some kind of indication (a separate message, or something) that the sender had deleted the message he had sent me, and oddly enough, it was no longer in my inbox!!

How the hell could such a thing happen?? I had always assumed that once a message arrives in my own inbox, it's up to _me_ to decide what to do with it! How is it that the sender could delete it from my own inbox? Is THAT any way to run a Private Message system?? :shock: :dunno:

That's correct...you can recall a message you sent BEFORE the recipient reads it. As long as its still in your "OUTBOX" you can recall it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Bryan said:

That's correct...you can recall a message you sent BEFORE the recipient reads it. As long as its still in your "OUTBOX" you can recall it.

Wow. I wish I had that functionality with my work email.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:

Do you think it was deliberately designed to work that way, or do you think it was just an oversight when the Private Message part of the system was being designed? Or is it an option that can be turned on/off?

Cassin

Reaction score
The designers of phpBB have had this in place ever since I have used this forum so I assume it is intentional.

I'm sure we could turn it off of need be. Altho sometimes editing this forum is a matter of one click others it's a $1,000 bill from a programmer.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:

I forgot to ask this question before: what determines whether or not a message is still in your "OUTBOX"?

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Cassin said:

I forgot to ask this question before: what determines whether or not a message is still in your "OUTBOX"?

Depends if the recipients inbox is full. If I PM you, and your inbox is full, I see my message in my outbox for a week and can delete it unless you free up some space for it to go to you. If your inbox has room, it goes to you instantly. I know this because when I PM the smaller guys on here, it leaves my outbox instantly.

Well, maybe not instantly. Sometimes there is a small delay, an hour at most. Usually just a minute or less.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspected that was the case, but wasn't absolutely sure. Thanks for the info, CCS! :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
It also means someone hasn't read the message.

So does that mean that I can't delete one of my own messages (one to which I've already replied), until I see by checking my OUTBOX that the other person has received and read the reply that I've sent him?! Why would anybody design such a sorry-assed Private Message system as that?? :shakehead:

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
The messaging system on this board is by far the most confusing I've come across. I always assumed it was broken until now.