Too many supplements leading to shedding?

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thought just came to me and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
I know a lot of us are taking many supplements to get over hair loss. I started out with finasteride as most of people, but did not want to mess around with my hormone in any way, so I decided to drop it.
Since then, I started out with a "hair loss specific" supplement. However, I quickly realized that the pill consisted of nutrients that can be easily purchased for a cheaper price!
So I stacked up a lot of other suppelements to fight against hair loss. Surprisingly, the more supplements I am taking, the more hairs fall out while I am taking a shower.
Before changing from a few supplements to many, I was losing at max 10 hair strands per shower, but now I am losing at least 30, usually around 40.
Some of you might think 'oh come on that's fairly normal!' and I would agree that it's normal if my hair did not get thinner. Unfortunately, my hair got thinner and the density has also decreased, especially in front line.
Has anyone else experienced something similar? I am not even sure if this is due to changing number of supplements I am taking or due to seasonal change (I sweat a lot in summer).

Here's a list of supplements I am taking currently:
Multivitamin (has decent vitamin B's)
Saw Palmetto Berries (not extract, plan to change to extract pretty soon)
Foti
Lecithin
L-Lysine
Collagen type I, II, III
Zinc
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
MSM
Green tea extract
Biotin
Beta sitosterol

On top of these, I am thinking about adding horsetail extract (silica based) and iron (multivitamin does not have it)
Is taking one "magic pill" that consists of many nutrients I listed above better than taking these supplements separately?
Maybe taking too many supplements cause damage to liver, which causes hair loss? :sad: Argh I hate shedding so much.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
+1 That's right. Also be vigil about your iron dosage. From what I've learned it can be detrimental in excessive amounts (hemochromatosis,neurodegenerative disorders). Please do your home work. Good luck.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have decided to get rid of saw palmetto, green tea extract, zinc, foti, and beta sitosterol. The only reason why I am stopping zinc is because I have been taking 50mg + for 6 months, so I need to stop for a while. Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you are probably losing more hairs because you stopped finasteride and your hair loss is progressing. Not the result of any supplements.