too much zinc?

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 1mg of finasteride daily (Finpecia) and use 5% minoxidil (Rogaine Foam) twice a day.
I started taking a 50mg Zinc gluconate supplement daily a few months ago. I noticed that my 'morning wood' improved significantly, and I feel like I have more energy; but my hair has gotten thinner and significantly smaller on my left temple, which I really noticed now after my last haircut. I also have scalp itch again, even though I continue to use Nizoral and Tricomin (which gives temporary relief, but starts itching again).

I also use a zinc shampoo and conditioner (Head & Shoulders) on the days I don't use Nizoral.
Is all this zinc ruining my hair? Is it possible my hair is extra sensitive to Testosterone too? I know that zinc competes with copper, so does it make Tricomin useless? :dunno:

aestus

Reaction score
You are not getting any zinc from zinc gluconate. I have published several peer-reviewed articles on zinc in biology. My expertise is the quantification of "free" (bioavailable) metal ions, including zinc, in complex biological media (e.g. blood and tissues).

Zinc lozenges showed positive results on the common cold in clinical trials using a zinc acetate formulation. The company making these lozenges was sold and the new owner's focus group found that people didn't like the metallic taste produced by the zinc acetate lozenges. So, the new owners tried zinc gluconate and the focus group liked it because the metallic taste wasn't present. Clinical trials with the zinc gluconate lozenges do not show any effect on the common cold.

Based on my expertise in the quantification and chelation of biological metals, this is what I would expect because, in biological media (pH, etc.), zinc remains bound to gluconic acid and only an insignificant amount of zinc ion is released. Hence, no metallic taste from zinc gluconate lozenges because no "free" zinc ion is released. I did an study (unpublished) for the original owner of the zinc lozenge company documenting this. Rest assured, you haven't gotten "too much zinc" from zinc gluconate. Quite the opposite.

Zinc gluconate is a popular formulation for zinc "supplements." But, the fact of the matter is that the makers of these products either don't have a clue or are smart enough to understand that they can sell more of a biologically inactive formulation that doesn't have an unpleasant taste.