Top 3 supplements for price and effectiveness

abcdefg

Reaction score
What are the top 3 definitive supplements if there is such a thing for the best prices? Add a link to the actual store where you can buy it please. I dont want to spend a fortune considering all supplements are pretty dodgy.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
By "supplements", I'll assume you mean nutritional supplements and not experimental topical supplements to the BIG 3.

After reading one particular research paper with pretty impressive before and after photos (can't seem to dig it up right now), I became a big believer in hair growth properties of IGF-1. This particular study used soy isoflavones and cayenne pepper to increase IGF-1 levels significantly. I do not remember the soy isoflavone dosage, but the capsaicin dosage was approximately 6 mg. This would equal about 6 capsules of this:

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Cayen ... /1833?at=0

The remaining obvious supplements such as beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto, which supposedly reduce DHT levels. If this is your goal, you might as well be on propecia. After quitting propecia following 4 years of use, I realize now that DHT is NOT something you want to reduce. My body is already leaner, my erections stronger and my anxiety has greatly reduced.

It may not help, but green tea is helpful for overall health.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have a 1 year old prescription for propecia, but decided to shelf it and see. I might be better off trying that then wasting money on supplements that basically do the same thing less effectively I guess.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Top 3 supplements for what?

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you were to pick the top 3 supplements for the price and science that backs up they work what would you take? Maybe links to where you would buy them from since supplements vary in quality depending on where you buy them.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Thanks for the reply. I have a 1 year old prescription for propecia, but decided to shelf it and see. I might be better off trying that then wasting money on supplements that basically do the same thing less effectively I guess.

This is not what I was advocating. In addition to minoxidil, try Soy and Cayenne, topical procyanidin, topical spironolactone, dr. proctor's prox-n.

I know I'll get heat from this but stay away from Propecia. People are foolish to think they can reduce a potent male hormone, DHT, by 70% while concurrently raising estrogen by about 10-15% and not get side effects.

justaguy2005

Reaction score
So I was on Dutasteride for a few years, until I realized it was making me fat, and I dropped it and switched to herbal things (about a year ago). For a while I was taking saw palmetto extract, but I dropped that too because it had similar if much milder sides than dutasteride. I now take three pills a day, mostly for general health but I think there's some spillover into hair goodness.

1) Curcumin (turmeric extract) -- anti-inflammatory, general hair/skin goodness
2) Krill Oil (I use Twinlab's Cardio Krill Oil, the NSI stuff is a little cheaper but I hear is gross) -- also anti-inflammatory
3) Resveratrol (I use revgenetics' with the emulsifier to maximize absorption, nitro-250s i think they are) -- modulates hormones, I originally started on it to dampen the sides from dutasteride but I realized it was helping keep me thinner and otherwise more healthy, so I stuck with it.

For a while I tried the immortalhair regimen, but I felt like swallowing a fistfull of pills was probably overkill. I try to eat more vegetables and fresh foods instead.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
justaguy2005 said:
So I was on Dutasteride for a few years, until I realized it was making me fat, and I dropped it and switched to herbal things (about a year ago). For a while I was taking saw palmetto extract, but I dropped that too because it had similar if much milder sides than dutasteride. I now take three pills a day, mostly for general health but I think there's some spillover into hair goodness.

1) Curcumin (turmeric extract) -- anti-inflammatory, general hair/skin goodness
2) Krill Oil (I use Twinlab's Cardio Krill Oil, the NSI stuff is a little cheaper but I hear is gross) -- also anti-inflammatory
3) Resveratrol (I use revgenetics' with the emulsifier to maximize absorption, nitro-250s i think they are) -- modulates hormones, I originally started on it to dampen the sides from dutasteride but I realized it was helping keep me thinner and otherwise more healthy, so I stuck with it.

For a while I tried the immortalhair regimen, but I felt like swallowing a fistfull of pills was probably overkill. I try to eat more vegetables and fresh foods instead.

Justaguy, how are you getting on with your regimen?

Did you see any results on your IH regimen?
Check out my regimen.

justaguy2005

Reaction score
Regimen is working fine for me. I also use Revita shampoo and minoxidil before bed. I'm 29, not getting any more bald, so I think I'll last at least until we have cheap cloning.

The IH made my hair shinier, I think, but that's about it. It's just a crazy amount of pills to be taking. I might throw back in a small amount of MSM for shine, and possibly also D3 come winter. Actually, looking at the IH page, I have no idea what the SEANOL/algae extract stuff is, so I've never tried that, but otherwise I did most of it.

I mostly avoid processed food, I never eat white bread or fast/chain food. I'm not perfect, and I have a sweet tooth, but I'm mostly keeping the worst of modern foodproduct technology out of my body.

Your regimen is, um, thorough. I hope most of them are bundled in a multivitamin. The 4.5g of MSM and the amino acids in particular struck me as overkill -- unless you're eating terribly, you shouldn't need the amino acids or even 1/4 as much MSM. I've read that vitamin A supplementation isn't healthy, so if that's not in your multi, it's probably safe to ditch. Just drink some fresh carrot juice instead.

ali777

Reaction score
I use Holland and Barrett's "hair, skin, and nail" supplement. There are more potent formulas out there, but I'm satisfied with what I get.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
#1 Fish Oil, GLA combo
#2 COX-2 inhibitor ie Grape seed, mangosteen, Folic Acid (pre-methylated), etc
#3 Angiogenesis ie Chocamine, Bilbery, Ashawagonda, etc

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
If you were to pick the top 3 supplements for the price and science that backs up they work what would you take? Maybe links to where you would buy them from since supplements vary in quality depending on where you buy them.

Fish oil, blackcurrant oil, vitamin E (alternatively tocotrienols), vitamin C, N-acetyl-cysteine, mlik thistle. It's actually six, but I can't do without them.