Topical Application

Growin Back

Reaction score
I was listening to a syndicated radio show, People's Pharmacy (show 632), when a caller claimed to mix Finesteride in his minoxidil. He ground up a months worth of finisteride and mixed in a one month bottle of minoxidil. He would shake before each application and claimed there was no residual in the bottom when the bottle was done.

The caller claimed he had previously been taking the tablets orally, but suffered (ahem!) undersireable side effects. He claimed he was getting excellent intended results going topical, without undersirable side effects.

This is tempting to me, but its coming from some guy who called a radio show. Wishful thinking could be giving him placebo self evaluation or he could just be a nut. It makes the splitting tablets easy and allegedly eliminates side effects.

Has this subject come up before? Anyone else try this? Any thoughts? I'm using minoxidil and I've just received my first order of Fincar, but haven't started yet. Should I try it?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
personally I would only do it as a last effort...if propecia was REALLY giving you undesirable sides...at that point you have nothing else to lose by trying to use finasteride topically with minoxidil.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
personally I would only do it as a last effort...if propecia was REALLY giving you undesirable sides...at that point you have nothing else to lose by trying to use finasteride topically with minoxidil.

Pondle

Reaction score
I don't see why topical application would save you side effects. The drug is absorbed into your system either way. Pregnant women are advised not to handle crushed or broken finasteride tablets, for example.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to note, there's only a few companies, most of them being online-prescription sites, that do topical finasteride.

I think the caller probably saw benefits from the minoxidil rather than the minoxidil+propecia combo, but who knows. He could absorbed enough finasteride to make a difference.

Growin Back

Reaction score
Thank you all. More facts and opinions welcome!

So there IS a topical product on the market! The radio show caller was grinding 5 mg tabs.

Obviously, the caller was reporting subjective observations on an uncontrolled experiment with a sample group of one. That's why I'm hoping for more information from others. Maybe we can get an uncontrolled subjective sample group of three!

I went ahead and started taking the fincar orally. I didn't have a pill cutter, so I used an Exacto knife. On the first cut, it split about 1/3 -- 2/3, and the big piece shot across the room! So far, I've noticed no results.