topical caffiene

CCS

Reaction score
I don't see how they can claim it affects DHT, if it has such huge results overnight. I think it is more of a super minoxidil, with unknown affects or lack of effects on DHT. It is so cheap that why not add a little to some shampoo? Only reason to worry is too much might damage the hair. Studies are so contractitory sometimes. Some say caffiene causes hair loss. Maybe they mean longerm, which would point to a pro-androgenic effect.

CCS

Reaction score
anyway, I'm only interested in cheap, easy to apply stuff I can put in a shampoo, or maybe something I don't mind as a topical. Rogaine foam is expensive and not as strong as the liquid and only good on short hair.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with a tiny amount of anhydrous caffeine in my minoxidil along with around a teaspoon of MSM for the last few weeks. I throw on 2ml once a day at night and have only just started using copper peptides in the morning (I had some lying around) the last couple of days.

I noticed a serious jump in scalp irritation the very next day and it's persisting as I feel my head now at midnight two or three weeks later. I'll keep applying it for a couple of weeks unless things really go downhill as I've got nothing to switch to until a few other things arrive - come on USPS! Too early to notice any change in my hair, still diffused but healthy looking. Lots of peach fuzz doing f--k all across my temples.

Actually, I'll try minoxidil with just the MSM for a few nights in a row to see if the irritation dies down. I calculated that I'd need around 3mg of caffeine to get the same percentage they used in the in vitro studies which was .005%. This is around the weight of your typical ant - very difficult to measure with a spoon. I may have just been a bit too generous with it.

Any thoughts CCS?

CCS

Reaction score
A tea spoon of MSM is a lot. And it might compete with minoxidil solubility. Imagine if you dissolve a lot of salt in water. Then you add potassium to the water. Well, that was a bad example since the sodium will stay in solution, but point is competition. The minoxidil is already saturated, so you don't want to add a lot of other stuff.

Just guesstimate a tiny amount of caffiene. And if you have scalp irritation, fix that before worrying about USPS.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I've been adding 1 - 2 teaspoons of caffeine per an 8 8oz bottle of shampoo for a few years now. Hasn't hurt me none. (Some guys have complained of getting heaaches)

Before I started "making my own" I went through a few bottles of alpecin c1 and then revita. Ran out of revita last spring and never re-upped (although I still mean to). Shen Min w/ caffeine added is my primary shampoo for now. I rotate that w/ Dr. Lee's Regrowth and Biotin Shampoo (to which I've aded some TTO).