Topical curcumin

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone try topical curcumin? I just ordered some tetrahydrocurcuminoid (the non-staining curcumin).

I've become *really* sensitive to antiandrogens, so I'm giving the anti-inflammatories a try.

The main theory here is that it curcumin might be able to shut down the cytokine cascade, which is the process in which inflammation kills cells. Supposedly, the curcumin was able to shut down TNF-alpha in skin cancer lesions.

Anyhow, as I float off into topical la-la land, I would love to know if anyone has had any experience with this stuff.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about mixing white curcumin and GTE (maybe some grape seed and pine bark as well), along with some essential oils, in a mix of Emu and Jojoba oils. That way I can apply it after my Spectral DNC at night. Have no idea if it will be soluble though. Anyone know?

CCS

Reaction score
it will turn your scalp a strong bright yellow

CCS

Reaction score
mulder said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
it will turn your scalp a strong bright yellow

White curcumin?

Any idea of it's solubility in oil?

where do you get white curcumin? I heard it is much stronger than yellow curcumin.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
jakeb said:
Anyone try topical curcumin? I just ordered some tetrahydrocurcuminoid (the non-staining curcumin).

I've become *really* sensitive to antiandrogens, so I'm giving the anti-inflammatories a try.

I thought curcumin was also a strong anti-androgen. But shouldn't be a problem if you use it topically.

Jacob

Reaction score
EquiClear(Elsom Research) contains turmeric (curcumin). I'm pretty sure it's in their ingredients list of The Formulator as well. This product will most likely show on your scalp but it washes off(someone will have to ask them again why their products do not stain...it's something about their tech)

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
looks promising. Order some myself

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, I got mine from Ancient Way also. Just got the shipping notice today.

So it's an anti-androgen? f*** :( I'm only going down this route because I've become ridiculously sensitive to antiandrogens. Well, I'm going to try it anyhow.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Got the curcumin in the mail today. I'm hopeful.

Also, kind of interestingly, I found this:

Clusters of men on Internet prostate cancer support groups (notably Don Cooley's lists) began seriously experimenting with turmeric to cope with a troublesome side-effect of androgen-suppression therapy, gynecomastia (sore swollen breasts). Most men who take antiandrogen drugs like Flutamide (Eulexin) or Casodex experience this breast swelling... dietary intake of turmeric (in salads, soups and sandwiches made with fresh root) and use of curcumin paste externally brings some relief.

And...

Still more intriguingly, University of Leicester began investigating dietary agents including curcumin... They observed that curcumin slows the rate at which hormone-responsive prostate cancer cells become resistant to hormonal therapy.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
So a question for more chemistry-oriented. Do you think I could just put a gram or so into my Minoxidil? It would be easier than making an entirely new topical.

CCS

Reaction score
jakeb said:
So a question for more chemistry-oriented. Do you think I could just put a gram or so into my Minoxidil? It would be easier than making an entirely new topical.

I advise against doing so for two reasons:

1. Minoxidil is a proven treatment. If the minoxidil oxidizes the curcumin, the minoxdil will get degraded. Though anti-oxidants tend to preserve stuff.

2. Minoxidil is a saturated solution. The curcumin could make the minoxidil precipitate because of competition.

I advise you to just use water, and maybe ethanol for the curcumin. Apply it, then apply the minoxidil right afterwards.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that Curacmin simply dose not absorbe, this is especially a problem with ingestion. That is why Bioprene is used in conjuction in so that one can actually absorbe Curcamin

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that not much curcumin made it out of the small intestine into the blood because there are enzymes in the intestine that break most of it down.

Topically, it seems to absorb, at least in the skin cancer tests. The big hang up for using it topically has been the crazy orange color.

holly

Reaction score
Does the white stuff from Ancient Way produce the crazy orange color when applied to the scalp?

CCS

Reaction score
purecontrol said:
I'm afraid that Curacmin simply dose not absorbe, this is especially a problem with ingestion. That is why Bioprene is used in conjuction in so that one can actually absorbe Curcamin

the liver destroys a lot of stuff. That is why steroids are injected, not eaten. I get around that with grapefruit and fat. You should not have trouble topically.

I wonder if fatty acids and curcumin inhibit 5ar, or cause less to be made, or do something else. I like that bit about the cancers not becoming immune as fast. I'm sure it is the same for hair too.

CCS

Reaction score
holly said:
Does the white stuff from Ancient Way produce the crazy orange color when applied to the scalp?

It should not. I heard the yellow for is a slightly oxidized version of the white form. The stuff shampoos out nice.