Topical dutasteride

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible? Has anyone seen success with it. Anyone familiar with the pharmacology? Would it be absorbed...dosages? If it is worthwhile, can it be mixed with spironolactone?

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Such low doses of dutasteride (.5mg) work in the body because it has such a long half-life. This same half-life probably wouldn't apply to a topical medication (it would just be washed off). You're probably better off with topical Finasteride. Per mg/ml of blood, Finasteride is actually much stronger than Dutasteride, but it doesn't accumulate in the body to nearly the same degree.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
paximperia said:
Per mg/ml of blood, Finasteride is actually much stronger than Dutasteride, but it doesn't accumulate in the body to nearly the same degree.

No, that's not true (I hope you don't think I'm deliberately picking on you! :) ). On a milligram-to-milligram basis, dutasteride is about three times as potent against the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme as finasteride. So dutasteride's greater effectivenenss is due to a COMBINATION of those two factors:

1) A greater inherent potency.

2) A longer half-life which allows it to build-up in the blood over time.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
paximperia said:
Per mg/ml of blood, Finasteride is actually much stronger than Dutasteride, but it doesn't accumulate in the body to nearly the same degree.

No, that's not true (I hope you don't think I'm deliberately picking on you! :) ). On a milligram-to-milligram basis, dutasteride is about three times as potent against the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme as finasteride. So dutasteride's greater effectivenenss is due to a COMBINATION of those two factors:

1) A greater inherent potency.

2) A longer half-life which allows it to build-up in the blood over time.

Any thoughts on topical dutasteride??

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowedge, topical dutasteride has never been formally tested, so the extent to which it may work (if any) is anybody's guess. I personally wouldn't bet the farm on it.