Topical spironolactone for treating acne

Felk

Reaction score
I've found some successful studies with topical spironolactone. and acne and was wondering what people think of the idea of adding some spironolactone. tabs to a moisturising cream to use on one's face?

Bryan if you're reading this, could you tell me if any of these are the study you said you have a copy of, regarding topical spironolactone. and acne?

Experience in the therapy of acne with topical administration of spironolactone as an antiandrogen

Istituto di Dermatologia, Universita degli Studi di Messina.

The authors report their clinical experience with topical treatment of seborrheic acne with a 5% spironolactone cream in 20 patients, 11 males and 9 females aged 12 to 28 years (average 20.5). Treatment duration, about one month. Treatment proved remarkably effective in that it brought about complete regression of acne in 30%, improvement in 65% of the patients. The drug was always well tolerated, side effects were never observed.

PMID: 2150020 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Topical spironolactone inhibits dihydrotestosterone receptors in human sebaceous glands: an autoradiographic study in subjects with acne vulgaris.

Department of Dermatology, University of Pavia, Italy.

The interaction between spironolactone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) receptors was evaluated with an autoradiographic technique. The inhibition of DHT receptors by spironolactone was found to be related to the decrease of tritiated DHT granules in the sebaceous glands of the treated site. 6 male patients affected by acne vulgaris entered the study. The acute study was performed by applying to 25 cm2 of the back a cream containing 5% spironolactone under occlusive dressing. The dosage of spironolactone applied was 4 mg/cm2 for 48 h. The long-term study was performed by applying the same amount to the entire back, without occlusion, twice daily for 1 month. Skin biopsies were taken at the end of the treatment, incubated with tritiated DHT and processed for autoradiography. Both the acute and the long-term study revealed a decrease of the autoradiographic granules in the treated site. This effect is related to the binding of spironolactone with dihydrotestosterone receptors in the sebaceous glands. Our study demonstrates that 5% topical spironolactone cream acts as an antiandrogen in human sebaceous glands, competing with DHT receptors and producing a decrease of labelled DHT. At the concentrations used the effect has been only local. No side-effects were recorded during both studies.

PMID: 2972662 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Topical spironolactone reduces sebum secretion rates in young adults.

Department of Dermatology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan.

The effects of topically applied spironolactone on the sebum secretion rates (SSR) of young adults were investigated. SSR was expressed as the ratio of wax esters/[cholesterol+cholesterol esters] (WE/[C+CE]) and the amount of sebaceous lipids (squalene, triacylglycerol and wax esters). Topical spironolactone 5% gel applied to the right cheeks of the subjects produced a significant reduction in the SSR at 12 weeks (4 weeks after termination of application), but not at 8 weeks (the end of treatment). Untreated "control" areas (the left cheeks of the subjects) showed no significant change during the study. None of the subjects experienced skin rash or signs of local irritation. This results suggests that topical spironolactone may be effective in the treatment of acne patients with high SSR.

PMID: 8935338 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I think I'll definately give topical spironolactone a try on my face, in an effort to make my skin less oily and perhaps prevent some blackheads, etc. Buying generic spironolactone. tabs would make it very cheap, and I'd be doing this anyway to save money on a spironolactone. cream to use on my hairline.

Discussions and opinions welcome!

CCS

Reaction score
They used about 1mL per 12cm2, at 5%. That is a lot. So to cover 100 cm2 in the front of my head, I'd need 400mg twice a day, or 24g per month. That would cost about $90 at the generic price. I'm going to use much less, unless I hear it won't work. It did a good job on facial hair with only 1%, though I think the average was 30-40% reduction.

CCS

Reaction score
I think spironolactone should be in all soaps and shampoos. It would help keep head hair and reduce body hair and acne.

The big pores on my nose are all big back heads. They are all down the sides of my nose too. Every single pore is a back head. I queeze the skin and 5 errupt at once. I need to get rid of them if I want to shrink my pore sizes. I'm srue the internal presure is making the pores so big. I hope it is reversible.

I just ordered retin-A

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
How many ml should be applied to scalp for hair loss would you say? Slight hi jack but it won't go far in the wrong direction, just want to know the answer to this because no one will answer my thread.

Sean68

Reaction score
just a thin film. whatever you think does the job just get a little on your finger you dont need to be exact about it every time.

LulzKiller

Established Member
Reaction score
topical spironolactone gave me acne

the only acne treatment that has ever worked for me has been sodium sulfacetamide lotion, it's excellent, i can't believe it's less popular than retin-a products and products with benzyl peroxide