Topicals: What if we're not pentrating to the follicle?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was running some ideas through my head today about the ability of a topical to be carried to the follicle so work can be done.

I than began thinking about scar tissue and how it is indeed thicker, tougher and harded to get through. Is it possible that shampoos and other topical carriers can't penetrate this scar tissue well? This could be the reason why tropicals just don't work very well, the tropicals can't get through to the already damaged follicle.

Which lead me to an idea, why don't we use a vehicle that expands the vessels in our scalps, like nitric oxide before putting on our topicals? That way the topical enters the blood stream (outside the source of the problem) easier and is directly connected to the area in need from the source where the DHT already is? Would this make sense? it seems like a good way to bypass the scar tissue surrounding the follicle.

I was considering putting a small amount of No into a shampoo before using my nizoral/GTE combo and then shortly after add my revivogen and spironolactone topicals.

/crazy

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this is why people use Retin-A when applying minoxidil? (Correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

I also heard that Spectral.DNC contains various magic potions which penetrate the scalp better than foam.

I have a bottle of Spectral.RS here which warns that applying it with a minoxidil product (i.e. Rogaine) will increase the chances of side-effects (presumably it amplifies the effect of the stuff due to better penetration?). I'm not sure what's in it exactly. Something quite 'thin' i guess.

Well, if Rogaine foam doesn't do the trick for me then that's what I'll try.

Jacob

Reaction score
This is why I love liposomes and nanosomes etc.

There's also the Dermaroller...

CCS

Reaction score
flimflam said:
Yeah, I think this is why people use Retin-A when applying minoxidil? (Correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

you're wrong. Rogain works without retin-A. It retin-A just increases penetration and downregulates androgen receptors.

There have been numberous studies with topicals penetrating the skin. Yes, the more that penetrates, the stronger the effect.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
flimflam said:

you're wrong. Rogain works without retin-A. It retin-A just increases penetration and downregulates androgen receptors.

There have been numberous studies with topicals penetrating the skin. Yes, the more that penetrates, the stronger the effect.
Ya, but what's the best method and most effective?

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
flimflam said:

I also heard that Spectral.DNC contains various magic potions which penetrate the scalp better than foam.

I have a bottle of Spectral.RS here which warns that applying it with a minoxidil product (i.e. Rogaine) will increase the chances of side-effects (presumably it amplifies the effect of the stuff due to better penetration?). I'm not sure what's in it exactly. Something quite 'thin' i guess.

Well, if Rogaine foam doesn't do the trick for me then that's what I'll try.

Spectral DNC contains Retin-A...

I ordered one box last week.

beaner

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
flimflam said:

No he's not wrong. That is exactly why people use Retin-A. He never said it didn't work without it.