Toppris's Story - (22)

toppris

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I started noticing my hairloss when i was around 19 years, i've always had very thick hair. But since i was 19 it's been thinning out in the vertex area, I'm now 22 years old, and i feel worse then ever about my hairloss.
It's destroying my life, I can't think about anything else, and I've gone from being a happy social person, to the completely opposite. And one of the worst things is that I have to exams next week, but all I can think about is my hairloss, and can't focus on my exams.

As I mentioned I'm losing hair in the vertex area, but my temples are fine, and I don't seem to lose anything there. But I'm losing lot's in the vertex..

I started using minoxidil 24.10.10, and tomorrow I got an appoitment with the doctor, and hopefully he will give me an prescription for finasterid! Fingers crossed.

Sorry for bad English, I am from Scandinavia.

Best regards from me.

Posting a picture of what my hair look like now, what kind of norwood stage would you classify me ***?

Attachments

• Dag 40.jpg
    Dag 40.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 213

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My story, toppris

Hey, man your hair looks fine.. I think thats your just your cowlick as it is very unusual for young people to bald only in the crown! Even if that is the case you are luckey since medicins available work best on that area. Go to a dermatologist and have him/her check out your hair

toppris

Reaction score

Yes, hope I get some answers on my appoitment tomorrow.
But I'm sure it's male pattern baldness, it's developed over these last years. But only in the vertex, here is another photo taken about 6 weeks before the one in the previous post, and my hair is shorter.

Btw, this photo was taken right after my very first application of minoxidil 5%.

Attachments

• Dag 1.jpg
    Dag 1.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 200

toppris

Reaction score

Got a prescription for generic finasteride today with my dermatologist, allthough he said he would not recommend it since he weren't completely sure i had male pattern baldness. He said if he met me at the street he would not pick me for a person with male pattern baldness.
But look at this picture i just took, I think it speaks for itself.
So now my regimen is 5% minoxidil, and 1.25 mg finasteride.

Picture today with strong flash:

Attachments

• Dag 1 finasteride.jpg
    Dag 1 finasteride.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 228

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Well, if this is your hairloss and your taking medications already.. I'm sure you'll be able to keep your hair for like.. another 102 years or so? I wouldn't think your really balding either, but you never know. Good job on catching it this quick, and good luck.

toppris

Reaction score

Thanks for replies :)
I see that I haven't mentioned that I'm asian, but adopted so I lived in the west all my life.
But I think that alot of asian mens are balding in this way/pattern.
If I go 5 years back in time, my hair on the top of my head were about 10 times thicker/fuller, and you could hardly see the skin there. But over the last years it's been slowly thinning out, and now I hate the way i look up there..

Posting some links to other asian guys that makes me believe that this is a common way for asian mens to bald:

viewtopic.php?t=54240

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56072&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60472&p=589735#p589735

toppris

Reaction score
Confused

Okey guys, here's the thing.
As I told earlier in this post, I've went to get a prescription with a dermatologist for finasteride.
But as I also mentioned he could not determine that I actually had male pattern baldness. I've now been on finasteride for 6 days, minoxidil for almost 7 weeks.

But the thing is, since I've visited my dermatologist I've been asking myself, could I be wrong about having male pattern baldness? Is it just my big asian cowlick? I have been sure that I had male pattern baldness for over two years now, ever since the first comment a friend made about me balding and I ran and looked at the back of my head in the mirror.

I've made a tread in general discussions were I was seeking answers about the asian cowlick thing, but not so much response there. Please take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62776

Today I also combed my hair in another way, and it looks less balding then. Because ever since I've been sure I were balding, I've been cutting my own hair because I was to embarresed to go to the hairdresser, I also use toppik to conceal the thinning. And that may have made the thin area look worse I think.

toppris

Reaction score
continue on previous post

This is the second part of the previous post!

So could you help me share your opinion of what you think?
Balding or not? My plan now is to use finasteride/minoxidil for about 6 months, and see if the thin spot is filling in. Is this a good idea? Or will it make things worse if it's not male pattern baldness?

I'm kinda freaked out about the idea, that it's just the asian cowlick.
That would mean I just wasted over two years of my life feeling depressed and sad, and little selfconfident. And it will also mean I've wasted tons of money on toppik, minoxidil and now finasteride.
If this is a case, I guess it just shows you what a single comment from a friend could with a young man..

So I hope you can help me by sharing your thoughts.

Here I'm posting pics taken just after combing my hair (referring to previous post), taken with flash, and from different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 209

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
I see no balding. Stop obsessing.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
hairs fine bro

i wouldn't worry about it

listen to your doctor, if he or she feels it's not male pattern baldness then it's probably not

toppris

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is an update on my progress:
I have now been on finasteride 1.25 for 78 days, or about 11 weeks.
And on minoxidil for about 17 weeks or 4 months, allthough since about christmas I've only been using minoxidil once a day, before I go to sleep.

If you read all posts in my thread you'll se that I'm not been diagnoced with male pattern baldness for sure, but I do know that my hair been thinning at the crown/vertex for the last years.

So I'm on finasteride and minoxidil to try to thicken it up on the top of my head.
I can't say that I'm seeing much progress, but it's still early to say, since I've not been on finasteride for more than 11 weeks. But I'm hoping!

What do you guys think?

Got a new haircut today, and I'm posting fresh pics:
(Pics taken on camera with flash)

Attachments

• 11 weeks finasteride.jpg
    11 weeks finasteride.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 11 weeks finasteride(2).jpg
    11 weeks finasteride(2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 11 weeks finasteride(3).jpg
    11 weeks finasteride(3).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 11 weeks finasteride(4).jpg
    11 weeks finasteride(4).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 11 weeks finasteride(5).jpg
    11 weeks finasteride(5).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 167

toppris

Reaction score
But don't you think the crown/vertex is very thin?
And some years ago it were much fuller, and thicker up there...

toppris

Reaction score
Hello again guys, I have a question:

As I told earlier in the thread, my dermatologist wasn't completely sure that I had male pattern baldness, but gave me a prescription for finasteride to see if my hair would improve.

But recently I have been wondering if it's dangerous to be on finasteride if you don't have male pattern baldness?
I haven't experienced any side-effects btw.

toppris

Reaction score
Today I decided to quit finasteride and minoxidil, I haven't seen any progress. And as I am a student, I wan't to use the little money I have on other things besides hairdrugs.

I will keep a close eye on things, to see if it gets worse.
I'll might be back.

But for now, c'ya.

How my hair looks today:

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 170

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
hair is perfect and your hairline nw1

don't worry about something that is not happening

worry about hair loss when it happens .....then go on treatments